PG Music Home
I see inexpensive computer speakers in stores like Staples like the Altec Lansing Octane 7 and the Logitech Z323. They include a woofer. I'm wondering if anyone has tried these for monitor speakers when working on final mixes in PowerTracks.

Right now I do my PowerTracks work with a good set of headphones and that works pretty well but my final mixes usually end up sounding too muddy when played on a good stereo system and I have to go back and eq cut the low end and low mids on some of the tracks. It would be nice to be able to hear this while I'm at my computer but I'm not into spending more than $100.
The short answer to your question is no: Cheap speakers won't allow you to produce an acceptable final mix. SPECIFICALLY not cheap computer speaks. These are generally designed to produce "ear candy," i.e., make movies and games sound good.

As you seem to have figured out, your mixes are muddy because you're adding bass because you can't hear it in your monitors, whether speakers or headphones.

You're dealing with physics and manufacturing costs here. It takes mass and power to produce accurate bass. This doesn't come cheap. Bose and Altec have packed such sound into small packages, but they have stratospheric price tags. You can get it for less, but you pay for it in size and weight as well as $$$.

A cost-effective way to get around this is to listen to your mixes on several systems, from your PC to boom boxes to car stereos. Give out copies to friends with trusted ears; have them listen and make comments. If you get a mix that sounds good to everyone on all of those you probably have something. Takes a little time, but it works.

If ya really gotta spend the money, look at used speakers, or offerings from Behringer, who, for my money, produce gear equal to stuff costing two to three times as much.

HTH,

Richard
If you have a GC around drop by fairly regularly and they migh have a set of used monitors on the sale rack. I picked up a set last year for $120 they sound creat, i saw a nice set of 8" m-audios the other day fro under $200 it was killin' me. Also they had two Roland Fantom synths for $350 each i had just paid bills and had no Caaaash! Next time!
© PG Music Forums