PG Music Home
Posted By: yjoh Import Video Option - 01/29/12 12:01 AM
Hi everyone,

I've looked to see if this has been mentioned before but can't find it so here is my wish.

The ability to import Video so I can write to it.

I really like using Power Tracks for mixing and my VST mangling experiments. It's one of the programmes I first bought when my old faithful Atari started acting up. I bought Sibelius for my notation needs along with BIAB 2007 for backing tracks and Power Tracks Pro Audio for mixing and burning CDs etc.

I have Sonar LE that came later with my digital piano and I've packed it out with free and paid for VSTs but I haven't really gotten into it. Power Tracks is more intuitive for me and is laid out clearly, so to have the ability to score video and mix with my weird experiments would be just great!

Please!
Posted By: cxp Re: Import Video Option - 01/30/12 03:53 AM
+1

This feature belongs in RealBand. The ability to add soundtracks to video is the main reason I have to use Sonar.
Posted By: yjoh Re: Import Video Option - 01/30/12 04:59 AM
I score to video in Sibelius but to process and mix it I then need to use Sonar or similar.
I'm just more comfortable working with Power Tracks but if video capability was added to RealBand that would be as good.

I've read that Digital Performer 8 is going to be Windows compatible when it's released this year. If I had bought a Mac instead of a PC when the Atari gave in I think I would have gone with DP for scoring.

Wishing and keeping my fingers crossed!
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Import Video Option - 02/02/12 09:49 PM
I disagree, for this reason. Video does work in Soanr, and Reaper, and other DAWs, but it is limited. Vidoe adds a very big layer of complication, and power needs. I prefer to use a software dedicated to Video that allows sound tracks to be added. Like Vegas, or such. Adding to much complexity to a program makes it unstable. PTPA, and RB by extension are still working hard to add and stabilize audio tools. Now is a bad time to add another complete set of functions.

I use this for video, http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector/overview_en_US.html?&r=1 and it is very powerful, and has a whole suite of video processing tools, plus a very basic audio tracking tool set. It is far better than a DAW with very basic video tools.
Posted By: yjoh Re: Import Video Option - 02/03/12 03:48 AM
Hi Robh,

I should have been clearer in my post. I edit my video in a light version of Cyberlink that came with my camera. I would like the full pro version of it as it's really good. Sometimes I use the Windows Movie Maker programme as well.

After I have the video as I want it, I then import it into Sibelius to score to. If I then want to mix and process the sound track I have to use my SonarLE programme.

I really like working with Power Tracks for mixing audio and if Power Tracks was to have the ability to import video I could have the video running while I fiddled around with the audio. I didn't mean to suggest Power Tracks needed a video editing option. The demands as you said would be too much.

I agree with you about cyberlink. It's is powerful. May have to treat myself later this year!

All the best.
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Import Video Option - 02/03/12 03:03 PM
Yes and the nice thing about Cyberlink is that it is not really expensive. I paid $49 US for it at the store.

I understand what you are saying about having a simple video track so that you can link the audio to it. We will have to see whether that is on their radar. Reaper is a decent one for that sort of stuff, and is The Sonar version you have. You would love Sony Vegas. Over here the entry version is around $70 US, very powerful, and a great place to drop the file to do trick with it.

Take care, Rob
Posted By: yjoh Re: Import Video Option - 02/04/12 06:49 AM
I have heard of Sony Vegas. Many of the "pros" use it. Might do a comparison with Cyberlink.

This is all for my own dabblings in scoring to video. I don't expect Steven Spielberg to be ringing any time soon! LOL

Happy music making.
© PG Music Forums