PG Music Home
Posted By: rharv Playing bass on Peg, sounds easy enough - 07/29/23 10:24 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-xuXHcIxu4

Holy cow, that was a lot more complex than I ever thought
Hoping this was the right place for this .. I'd jam with him!
This is some serious talent and way beyond my pay grade.
Holy cow is almost an understatement crazy

Fantastic talent.
Posted By: rayc Re: Playing bass on Peg, sounds easy enough - 07/30/23 03:50 AM
He's good, very good but it reminds me of what I don't like about Aja...busy, busy bass on some songs. Some of the guitar parts, along with the bass, make for a lot of notes happening at once. To be fair the rest of the song isn't moving much and is a fairly simple arrangement for that band - perhaps the brief was to jazz it up on the bass.
There's some Jaco P in the part - pushing the bass forward, getting lead player style.
In the end the question will remain: Did it serve the song?

I watched a few more of his vids...he grooves wonderfully on the Lizzo song but he's sort of stiff and doesn't swing on the rock songs. He nails most of the jazzy & funky stuff though.
Originally Posted By: rayc
He's good, very good but it reminds me of what I don't like about Aja...busy, busy bass on some songs. Some of the guitar parts, along with the bass, make for a lot of notes happening at once.

I agree, I also find his playing a bit busy (which I never noticed in the original album version).
This of course is a matter of personal taste where [sometimes] less might be more.
Nonetheless, the guy is talented.

Any interest in doing your interpretation of this?
Covering Do It Again is on my someday bucket list.
Posted By: rharv Re: Playing bass on Peg, sounds easy enough - 07/30/23 12:49 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scH8uPdjjvg

I *think it's the original raw bass track .. funny what a mix can do
/'Chuck it out' has new meaning for me
//I love all the noise; like Mac once said, recording a live bass should sound like you were working on a Buick in the garage
Posted By: rayc Re: Playing bass on Peg, sounds easy enough - 08/01/23 03:04 AM
Originally Posted By: rharv
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scH8uPdjjvg

I *think it's the original raw bass track .. funny what a mix can do
/'Chuck it out' has new meaning for me
//I love all the noise; like Mac once said, recording a live bass should sound like you were working on a Buick in the garage

It's treated - a little EQ & compression I think.
It's actually pretty quite..no fret rattle except when he's slapping.
It's a much calmer take than the other follow covering it.
A bass is, mic'd or DI, usually quite noisy and that helps push it a little forward in the mix though you don't often hear that noise because of the other treble stuff going on elsewhere.
This isolated one sounds much nicer and less stilted than the young fellow's cover.
Posted By: rharv Re: Playing bass on Peg, sounds easy enough - 08/01/23 07:32 PM
Yes it does, and sounds like something we might record DI .. levels always seem low at first on live tracks, but easy to fix.
I'd suggest the effects you hear were used on the way in on the original track.
The bass player dials in a sound and you get whatever effects he used.

FWIW I hear plenty of noise on the bass, but it's waiting to be coaxed out of the track <grin>
Like Mac used to say, recording a live bass should sound kind of like working on a Buick in the garage .. all kinds of metallic noises
Posted By: dcuny Re: Playing bass on Peg, sounds easy enough - 08/12/23 03:03 AM
The other week, I had a friend mention he was learning a song, and he wondered if I'd be interesting in learning the bass part so I could play along with him.

He said it was a Steely Dan song, and I stopped him right there.

I said I appreciated him thinking I might be capable of playing it, but... nope.

Not in this lifetime, anyway. laugh
Originally Posted By: dcuny

I said I appreciated him thinking I might be capable of playing it, but... nope.

Not in this lifetime, anyway. laugh

I have a strong hypothesis that you're underestimating yourself.
FWIW, here is my "Rule 13".

13. Take musical risks and be fearless wink

At the minimum you may learn something in the attempt.
At the maximun you may find it's a cakewalk.
© PG Music Forums