PG Music Home
Posted By: Don Gaynor Green Rolling Hills (Of West Virginia) - 07/08/13 01:17 AM
I posted this primarily for Bobc and Mac. It's from Transatlantic Sessions #1 about 1995. It gives me goosebumps. Emmylou and another female vox unknown to me. Russ Barenburg on mandolin; Aly Bain on fiddle; et al.

http://youtu.be/Z-Wod4lxmig
Don, The pretty black-haired singer, is none other than Mary Black .......one of your very own "oyrish girls"!......a big star in her own right. Regards, Joe G.
Thanks, Joe. I think I'm in love again! I followed her playlist and her duets with Emmylou are totally amazing! Gave me goosebumps.

If you aren't aware, follow Transatlantic Sessions (TS) for many hours of traditional Scottish, Irish, and American music. The current TS is #5 and I believe that you can search by "TS".

Aly Bain, Scottish fiddler, will lift your kilts! He makes those beautiful fiddle tunes look so easy. In fact, they all look like they are all just sitting around some old Scottish castle having a great time.

Mutual respect for others' musicianship permeates the air. It's thick enough to slice.
Hi Don, Yes.... (AYE!)...Beautiful music and some great original arrangements.........superb playing, and you can hear that they all just want to be a part of things!....(All egos to be left at the door!).......lots of surprisingly varied tunes....yet they all fit, under the folk banner!
Regards, Joe G.
Joe, correct me if I'm wrong (and before Mac does) but isn't this mandolinist, Sam Bush, on fiddle? He is one very talented musician. I've been wrong before once when I thought that I had made a mistake.

Bobc knows his "grassers", Bob?

http://youtu.be/GokDQZsf2Ec

<Snip> Obviously before Emmylou had her incisors realigned. I just had to check her bio. She's now 66.
Posted By: Lloyd S Re: Green Rolling Hills (Of West Virginia) - 08/01/13 11:02 PM
Anything with twin fiddles suits me fine.
Thanks for sharing!
I'm struggling to remember who the fiddler is to the right of Aly Bain but I do remember that he wrote "Ashoken Farewell" and many other fiddle classics.

Aly Bain, Scottish fiddler, is my current favorite.

Search on "Transatlantic Sessions" for many hours of this beautiful music.
Hi Don, This Scottish Banjo picker has, hopefully, .....found your fiddler!........checked out a few other files, .....(enjoyed spending time again with Trans Atlantic Sessions!)Saw him with a hat on!.......his specs are the the same though! It's JAY UNGAR.......(I know someone will correct me if I'm wrong!) Regards, Joe G.
Joe, I had remembered Jay Ungar the minute after I had hit SUBMIT. Thanks for confirming it. Following Jay's YT links is another musical feast for fiddle lovers like us. Two others are the late Vassar Clemens and, of course, Mark O'Connor.
© PG Music Forums