PG Music Home
Posted By: MarioD As easy as riding a bike---not! - 05/11/15 01:22 PM
So you think you can ride a bike? Check this out:
http://videos.komando.com/watch/7847/kims-picks-you-think-you-can-ride-this-bike-but-you-really-cant?utm_medium=nl&utm_source=tvkim&utm_content=2015-04-30-article-screen-shot-f
Posted By: DEddy Re: As easy as riding a bike---not! - 05/11/15 03:44 PM
That was interesting.

DE
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: As easy as riding a bike---not! - 05/11/15 06:35 PM
That was THE most interesting video I have seen in a LONG time! I am so into neuro-pathways and wiring of the brain for music. This spoke volumes to me.

Thanks Mario for sharing that! I real treasure in my book!
Posted By: GHinCH Re: As easy as riding a bike---not! - 05/11/15 10:03 PM
I have tried such a bike more than once and it is difficult. So far I made about 10 to 15 yards before the bike sabotaged further usage.

http://www.erlebnisbahn-ratzeburg.de/archiv/bilder/pic2scr.pl?file=2006/Falschrad_1024x768.jpg
(That picture of from the location's web site, I'm not the person in the photo.)

The guy in the video did have a straight path to follow with lots of empty roome to the left and to the right. In Schmilau, that is where that picture is taken, you don't have the room to really explore that bike.

It is not only that knowledge is not a synonym for understanding, what [probably] everybody is doing wrong in a situation like this, is the simple thing of overreacting. Did you see how far he turned the handlebar und thus the wheel? If you corrected your driving like this with a regular bicycle you also would eratically hop off the bike.

The next time I'm at that location is in October. I will try that bike again. If you have a chance, try such a bicycle. It is quite an experience.
Posted By: MarioD Re: As easy as riding a bike---not! - 05/11/15 10:27 PM
Originally Posted By: GHinCH
I have tried such a bike more than once and it is difficult. So far I made about 10 to 15 yards before the bike sabotaged further usage.

You are a much braver person than I am!

It is not only that knowledge is not a synonym for understanding, what [probably] everybody is doing wrong in a situation like this, is the simple thing of overreacting. Did you see how far he turned the handlebar und thus the wheel? If you corrected your driving like this with a regular bicycle you also would eratically hop off the bike.

I agree about the overreacting but when you are trained into thinking that when I move the handle bars left the bike will go left and if it doesn't go left fast enough you naturally turn the handle bars farther to the left! On this bike that means crash ville!
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: As easy as riding a bike---not! - 05/12/15 09:33 AM
I want one.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: As easy as riding a bike---not! - 05/12/15 02:03 PM
Originally Posted By: Rob4580
I want one.

Ha Ha, You can have it. I sure don't. I'm happy just staying vertical on the one I already got!
Posted By: GHinCH Re: As easy as riding a bike---not! - 05/12/15 05:55 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
You are a much braver person than I am!

I'm not sure about that, but I took the opportunity being early before the rest of the crowd arrived. Firstly just keeping the feet on the ground. I tell you, the first yard was a major achievement.

Originally Posted By: MarioD
...is the simple thing of overreacting.

I agree about the overreacting but when you are trained into thinking that when I move the handle bars left the bike will go left and if it doesn't go left fast enough you naturally turn the handle bars farther to the left! On this bike that means crash ville!

Actually when you try that bike you maintain a too slow speed. Too slow means that the gyroforces are not yet in effect. You are thrown out of balance and then you overreact. This happens because trained instinct overrules the brain. I find that riding this bike is similar to backing up with car and trailer.

But I will try again...and again I will not master it (for more than 10 meters).
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: As easy as riding a bike---not! - 05/13/15 03:40 AM
Very funny.
Rob.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: As easy as riding a bike---not! - 05/13/15 09:59 AM
I thought there were several very profound observations made in that video:

Knowledge is not the same as understanding
Our competence is based on our biases
when we try to eliminate bias, we simply replace it with a new bias.

I liked the engineer's cheerful enthusiasm that flavored all of his communication.
Posted By: GHinCH Re: As easy as riding a bike---not! - 05/13/15 03:10 PM
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
Knowledge is not the same as understanding

I subscribe to that. I kind-a always knew that but couldn't put the finger onto it.

Now, that will influence my teaching methods. This is the best part of the video for me.
Posted By: ZeroZero Re: As easy as riding a bike---not! - 05/14/15 06:58 AM
http://www.lefthandedpiano.com/
Posted By: MarioD Re: As easy as riding a bike---not! - 05/15/15 08:35 PM
Originally Posted By: ZeroZero

I'd like to see other pianists try to play that piano. I'd bet the same results would happen as in the bike experiment.
Posted By: GHinCH Re: As easy as riding a bike---not! - 05/16/15 04:15 AM
Yes, indeed.

But there is a twist: Left-handed pianists to be might have an advantage with this piano over those left-handed pianists who had to master the traditional one. And concert halls might have to have a second set of pianos and to maintain their playability -- if this idea catches on.
© PG Music Forums