PG Music Home
https://youtu.be/RCGGG9piAGY
Absolutely sensational. Masterfully performed, and I even think it left Tommy a little speechless laugh
That's excellent! A nice find, Don smile
Richard has begun using BIAB, I'm very anxious to hear what he will accomplish with it.
Wow - your friend has some skills! Can't wait to hear what he creates using Band-in-a-Box. Thanks for sharing the vid, Don smile
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Wow - your friend has some skills! Can't wait to hear what he creates using Band-in-a-Box. Thanks for sharing the vid, Don smile

I emailed Richard today asking if he's done anything yet with BIAB.

He is currently very busy settling in to his new home in Nashville.
Donny, I've performed a lot of Scott Joplin's works, including Maple Leaf Rag (his signature tune), The Entertainer, Elite Syncopations, Original Rags, The Cascades, The Ragtime Dance, Pineapple Rag, Stoptime Rag and much more.

Joplin (perhaps inadvertently) pioneered the way to jazz and therefore modern jazz. Scott Joplin exemplified genius, albeit unrecognized for too long. He derived the spirit of the music that would be forthcoming and was destined to shape what lie ahead.

Richard's rendition of The Entertainer on guitar is extraordinarily well played.

This was so enjoyable. Thanks for sharing.

Trev

Thanks for that, Trev. Much appreciated.

Richard's 12th fret is marked "CGP" for Certified Guitar Player (as is Tommy's) by Chet Atkins. A very rare honor indeed.
One very, very clever guitarist. Thanks for the video.

Tony
HI Don,

I've been following Richard for quite some time. I have that particular video bookmarked among my favorites. I've enjoyed the several videos he's done with Tommy and Vince Gill. He's a remarkable talent. Also, love hearing his British accent alongside the Nashville twang!

Take care, my friend. Di sends her best.

Alan
Thanks, you two.

Glad you enjoyed Richard.

He emails me occasionally, as does Tommy and Jerry Douglas.

I've outlived most other guitarist friends. (chortle)
That's really cool, Don. Jerry Douglas, for my money, is the best dobro player to ever walk into a recording studio. I friend of mine, John Heinrich, rates #2 in my book. I've never had the opportunity to run into Tommy Emmanuel. I hear he's quite an animated guy.

I don't say much about it, but I had the wonderful opportunity for our band to either open for (me on lead guitar in the band) or play behind several really big name country music stars of the 1960s and 1970s, and a few others after that. I'll mention just one (the one I'm most proud of) as I don't want to come across as a name dropper. I backed up Ray Price (played in his band) on two different occasions when he performed in St. Charles, Missouri.

Anyway, thanks for bringing attention to Richard Smith for those who may not have been familiar with him. As you mentioned, he's one of the very few CGPs in the world. And he's still relatively young. Your comment about having outlived most of your guitar player friends made me smile for a couple of reasons. First, we're so danged tickled to have you on our forums with your wonderful compositions and, second, your insight into the country music industry. Also, I can say the same! I'll be 72 in March. Jimmy Capps is about the only major picker whom I've had any contact with who's still alive and active in the business.

Wishing you everything good.

Alan & Di
Thanks Al and Di.

I often hesitate to mention the many famous musician friends that I have known. Their numbers are dwindling.

I met many who were entertaining at the NCO Clubs in Germany. I found most of them to be friendly and approachable.

AddenDumb: Having jammed countless times with Bob Zimmerman (Dylan) in HS (c1957-58) may have helped me a bit but my long friendship with the late Nokie Edwards (of Ventures fame) led to meeting dozens of top guitarists, too many to name.

I got out of the Army in '69 and Nokie was playing in my wife's cousin's band in Seattle. We hit it off quite well and we were good friends until his recent death. His widow, Judy, still emails me occasionally.

Nokie introduced me to Thom Bresh, Merle Travis' son, and Thom liked my music so we exchanged our tunes.

I was contacted by Dr. John Knowles, Chet Atkins' go-to-guy, who has become a good friend. John is one of very few CGPs and the first that Chet awarded.

The referrals of John led to contacts with dozens of Nashville session musicians that I won't list here.

© PG Music Forums