PG Music Home
+++ THIS VIDEO +++ is a mash-up of 3 guitar greats: Carl Perkins, Merle Travis and Jose Feliciano. Everyone knows Merle Travis as a great guitar player; heck, he even has a style of playing a guitar (Travis picking) named after him. He was also a strong songwriter and singer. Jose Feliciano and Carl Perkins were known for their singing abilities. Not many people are aware that both were also excellent guitar players and songwriters.

The clip starts with Carl Perkins playing lead, then Merle Travis and finally Jose Feliciano. Watch closely starting at about 1:15. String # 3 is broken on Jose Feliciano's guitar. I don't know, but I suspect, that is why he tuned the guitar to an alternate tuning before starting his solo.

The Johnny Cash Show was revolutionary in the seventies back when it was made. It featured entertainers from Rock, Country, Gospel and any other music genre you can name. It was also filmed in Nashville, Tennessee instead of New York, New York or Los Angeles, California as was customary with national network shows at the time.
Great find, Jim. Thanks for posting.

FWIW, Merle's son, Thom Bresh, is a fellow BIAB user.
I have always been in awe of Feliciano's brilliance.

This clip just further nailed it. Great find.
I've been a fan of all three since the sixties. Many think Carl Perkins could have been as famous, or more famous, than Elvis Presley while Merle Travis has been a legend longer than I've been alive!

There are some absolute A-W-E-S-O-M-E YouTube videos of Jose Feliciano playing and singing Purple Haze. One of the best is from a +++ 1975 Chile concert +++. The backing band is awesome but the sound engineer couldn't lick the feedback.
Luther Perkins (no relation to Carl) was Johnny Cash' guitarist from the early Sun Studio days up to his accidental death from smoking in bed. Carl stepped in later.

I learned Carl's "Matchbox" by feeding nickels in the jukebox and driving my friends nuts. lol

Carl teams with Eric Clapton for a fabulous rendition on YouTube.

Matchbox w/Carl and Eric - simply phenomenal.

https://youtu.be/aM9GQDibqxw
I met Jose once at his recording studio in SoCal. Nice fellow.
He actually played my old Guild a bit.

Regards,

Bob
Don,

YouTube has some videos of Carl Perkins and Ringo Starr singing Honey Don't. Carl Perkins was good friends with The Beatles. Rumor was Carl was in the studio while Honey Don't and Matchbox was recorded. Listen and you'll discover The Beatles cover of Carl's originals are almost note for note copies.
Bob,

That had to be a thrill to meet him and let him play your guitar.
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Don,

YouTube has some videos of Carl Perkins and Ringo Starr singing Honey Don't. Carl Perkins was good friends with The Beatles. Rumor was Carl was in the studio while Honey Don't and Matchbox was recorded. Listen and you'll discover The Beatles cover of Carl's originals are almost note for note copies.

Jim,

The full concert is called "Carl Perkins and Friends" on YouTube and I have posted it some time ago. Carl and George Harrison as well as Ringo and Clapton put on a fabulous show.
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Bob,

That had to be a thrill to meet him and let him play your guitar.

I was working on songs with his wife, Janna, who passed away a year ago, at their studio, Dijobe Studios. She co-wrote "Feliz Navidad" and the theme song from "Chico And The Man" with Jose. She will be missed.

Regards,

Bob
© PG Music Forums