PG Music Home
Tobin made a great tutorial on making UserTracks using RealBand.

http://demos.pgmusic.com/video/bbw/Usertracks_tutorial.mp4

For clarity, you can make Usertracks using any DAW, but RealBand is a One-stop-shopping approach, because you can make the Usertracks from start to finish in RealBand. ( if you use Pro Tools or Sonar, you make the songs in BB, and then make your WAV file in your DAW).
Thanks, Peter, and also Tobin for this clear detailed video. I am very excited about this feature. I can see a thousand applications for it.
Posted By: DrDan Re: UserTracks video tutorial (with RealBand) - 12/08/13 06:00 PM
Great explanation, thanks. but....

Is it just me? I don't honestly hear the accordion?
I had trouble hearing the accordion in the first part but was able to make it out in the last part of the video. They should probably bump its volume way up so we can easily hear it to better make the point of the demo.

Great demo though! I really appreciate it! Seems like every time I learn more about this feature I like it even better and also have even more questions!
I hear the accordion but unless I'm way off base what I hear was an accordion instrument added to the rt style that he played to, not him playing in his own style and creating a new style independent of rt's, which is what I thought was supposed to happen.
Am I missing something?
Wyndham
"I hear the accordion but unless I'm way off base what I hear was an accordion instrument added to the rt style that he played to, not him playing in his own style and creating a new style independent of rt's, which is what I thought was supposed to happen.
Am I missing something?"
------------//

In the demo he records to a chord progression that I shown at 4:24 in the video.
He shows off using the usertracks on a different chord progression, which is shown at 1:10.

With Usertracks , you record a song or multiple songs over any chord progression that you want. And then save it as a usertracks, and then it works over any chord progression. That is shown in the demo, as outlined above.

Moreover, we include this accordion usertracks in 2014, so you can try it out over any style, any key, any tempo yourself.
John,
Yes, we should bump the volume of the accordion. The accordion usertrack is on disk on the 2014 version, so you could hear it yourself by using it.
thanks, there's just so much to digest
Wyndham
The video was helpful.

Bit confused by seeing the last demonstration in BIAB being generated in the key of D and not C.
So you don't have to record user tracks in individual keys?

Col
>> So you don't have to record user tracks in individual keys?

No, you can record whatever chords you want in whatever keys. BiaB will find the best chords to use, and transpose, tempo stretch as needed.
For example, lets say you record these chords in key of C

C F G

and then BiaB is playing back the song, in the key of E, and it needs an E chord.

It will probably take the "F" and transpose it down one semitone. So the '4' chord in 'C' is being used as the
1 chord in E. That isn't optimal, but it's all you've recorded, so BiaB makes the best of it,

So the idea is to feed it more files if you want a better UserTracks. For example, add a file in the key of F, and then record something like F Dm Gm C
and then odds are that Biab will use your F (in the key of F), and tranpose it down for the key of E

Now, a lot of styles are not key dependant, so an F chord will be played the same in any key. If that's the case, then dont worry about keys, just make sure that you have various chords covered, and BiaB will transpose the rest.
OK!
Thanks Peter, appreciate the explanation.

Col
© PG Music Forums