PG Music Home
Posted By: Icelander Free "Vintage Drums" plugin - 09/12/18 06:41 PM
I don't mind passing on hints to things that are free, so here's one that might be of interest to someone around here:

https://www.samplescience.ca/2015/08/vintage-drum-elements.html
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Free "Vintage Drums" plugin - 09/12/18 10:51 PM
Thanks for sharing the link Eddie!
Posted By: Icelander Re: Free "Vintage Drums" plugin - 09/13/18 12:17 PM
Sure, it's a decent sounding set if one is into that particular trend of sounds.
It did irk me slightly that apparently now the 80's are considered "vintage", though, sign of my own ageing I suppose smirk

I just went and grabbed their "Toy Piano" set myself, btw, another free gem cool
Posted By: musiclover Re: Free "Vintage Drums" plugin - 09/18/18 04:08 PM
Nice one Islander, Looks great, Thanks.

How do you get it to play in biab though, I've set the drum track to midi but still no sound, I'm sure I tried out a setting in past that enables a plugin like this, but I have forgotten how to do it.

Well is does say channel 10 in biab prefs, well at least that part is right!
Posted By: Icelander Re: Free "Vintage Drums" plugin - 09/18/18 04:13 PM
Click on the "Plugin" tab of the small mixer and that should shake your memory back into gear.

Let me know if that doesn't do the trick.
Posted By: musiclover Re: Free "Vintage Drums" plugin - 09/18/18 05:49 PM
Yep doing that, and its loading fine but no midi drum sound, even though drum track is set to midi drums.

If I load it in say another midi track such as guitar it plays though not drums of course.

So must be a setting somewhere in prefs that will enable the midi to play, midi is getting thorugh ok to drum track as it plays without the plugin.
Posted By: Icelander Re: Free "Vintage Drums" plugin - 09/18/18 06:12 PM
Right, looks like it's time to whip out a checklist:

1. First be sure you've actually "told" BBox that there is this new plugin in your collection, i.e. located it from within BBox. Presuming you know and have done so...

2. Make sure that you can bring up the interface of the plugin from within BBox itself.

If those two pivotal items are all done and seemingly in order, then it's time for fine-combing for eccentricities, such as if the plugin needs to manually be set to receive incoming data on a specific channel (in which case should almost always work on channel 10).

Again, let me know.
Posted By: musiclover Re: Free "Vintage Drums" plugin - 09/19/18 06:42 AM
Well I think I have got them to play as good as I can Eddie.

Some of the kits there don't play at all, some produce more of a musical tone rather than a true drum sound, probably that is the way they are supposed to play.

I think though I don't have a thorough understand of this, that its probably how the midi is mapped out and biab doesn't see it that way, or I need to make some adjustment in options.

Nevertheless a nice little find. Thanks again.
Posted By: Icelander Re: Free "Vintage Drums" plugin - 09/20/18 10:57 AM
Well, they do say somewhere in there that this one has glitches and is due for an update, so it may not be all on your end that is the issue here.

And now I think perhaps I should follow my own tip and try this one out myself! wink
Posted By: Strummer911 Re: Free "Vintage Drums" plugin - 10/04/18 03:50 PM
I sent a support request to Sample Science with the same issue and they replied:
"The drum mapping is non-standard so you'll have to find them on your keyboard. It's somewhere in the lower octaves. An update is planned along with a "Pro" version with more sounds, multi-outputs and parameter automation."
Not very useful plugin if I have to remap my drum tracks
Posted By: Icelander Re: Free "Vintage Drums" plugin - 10/04/18 03:57 PM
Ah well... I guess sometimes free stuff is free for a reason smirk

p.s. I was going to test it myself, btw, but by the time I went there for it, the link had gone dead.
© PG Music Forums