PG Music Home
Posted By: MovingAir Styles with realistic "push" feel - 11/20/16 07:32 PM
Hi. I have some songs I'm working on where they have a solid 'push' feel (the chord changes are on the "and" of a beat instead of right on the beat) and BiaB just does not seem to do those well. Is there any way to create something where it does a smooth 'push' feel (for example, the chord hits on the 'and' of four and doesn't hit again right on 1)? Thanks.
Posted By: Skyline Re: Styles with realistic "push" feel - 11/21/16 06:14 PM
I must be candid and say in my experience BIAB is dreadful at pushes - unusable in fact. Trying to implement one with Real Tracks is especially awful. Real drums seem totally thrown when asked to perform one. I don't know why more work hasn't been done by PG in this area.

I bring my tracks into Sonar and if I want proper, realistic pushes I edit the tracks there accordingly. I can even edit Real Tracks there by using Melodyne or rendering the RT to MIDI using Melodyne and then doing the necessary manual edits.

John
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Styles with realistic "push" feel - 11/22/16 11:00 AM
(This seems the wrong forum for this discussion...but...)

I do something similar to what John does - but using all RealTracks (no MIDI and no Melodyne).

I take the RealTracks into my DAW (Studio One). I record a guitar track (typically acoustic) playing the song as I hear it - with the proper pushes - and use that as the template for where to move the RealTrack chords (or hits). Snip around the chord (audio) and slide it where it needs to be. Doesn't take that long.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Styles with realistic "push" feel - 11/24/16 04:19 PM
I actually find some of the drums in the "push" styles to be very useful, but I play all the main guitar parts (or other instruments) myself on songs that require a true push feel. (RTs can simply be snipped to get them out of the way when they are not wanted.)

I call this technique Push and Snip, where others might prefer to Snip and Push.

If you have ever examined a Keith Richards guitar part in Guitar Pro or something like that you will see the hits are landing all over the place and you just kind of have to feel it--plus all push songs are different. A lot in common with Jazz.

I am not sure you can program everything. Sometimes you just have to play.

"Push" is kind of the style that requires live playing, in my opinion--sort of like classical. You can't fake it. Either you can push it where it counts or you can't.

Wait, Floyd, that's a song.

Gotta run.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Styles with realistic "push" feel - 12/20/16 12:35 AM
David, if this program ever nails that authentic push feel we all will feel like we've finally arrived!! This has been the one issue above all others that I have struggled with to keep from having a "canned sound" while using BIAB. Once the program convincingly produces that feel we will be able to take a GIANT leap forward in producing the music we hear in our heads. But with all that said, it is still leaps and bounds above anything else out there IMHO. Torrey.
© PG Music Forums