PG Music Home
Posted By: bert70656 KETRON SD-2 - 12/29/12 07:58 PM
Since I have just purchased BIAB 2013 with Sample Tank & Hi Q voices I no longer have a need for my External Sound Module KETRON SD2. Before offering on EBAY I thought someone here on the forums may want it. If anyone is interested please email me with an offer please. Thank you. My email is withoutpapers70656@gmail.com Sorry, I had too many numbers in my email address.

Bert
Posted By: PhillyJazz Re: KETRON SD-2 - 01/04/13 09:56 PM
I already have an SD4, but highly recommend the SD2 if you can live with being tethered to a computer. The SD4 is a nice "road" box, but with a laptop or tablet, the little box really is POCKET sized, and even the Sample Tank can't beat the horn sounds...
Posted By: bert70656 Re: KETRON SD-2 - 01/11/13 02:36 AM
Hey Philly, I agree with everything you said but I'm still going to try and sell my SD2. I'm tired of all the wires associated with it. Much cleaner using a good soft synth like Sample Tank. I assume your from Philadelphia
..the Doowop capital of the world I think. My favorite kind of sounds.
Posted By: PhillyJazz Re: KETRON SD-2 - 01/11/13 08:01 PM
No shortage of Do-***** here, but also home of Dizzy Gillespie, John Coltrane and a host of other beboppers that put us on the Jazz map. I'll live with the single USB cable (and of course MIDI for my WX-7) for the sounds. Still, just bought a Windows 7 tablet exclusively for BIAB, so I want to see how the latency is playing soft synth in real time...
Posted By: bert70656 Re: KETRON SD-2 - 01/12/13 01:22 AM
Philly, I'm glad you mentioned Jazz.....I have been playing Piano/Keyboards off and on most of my life. Within the past 10 years I have had fun learning Guitar, Ukulele and Steel Guitar. Yes, Indeed I love music. Just lately I've become interested in playing Jazz on my Ukulele......I love the Uke Philly because there are only 4 strings and mine is tuned to GCEA so that when played with no fretted strings I'm playing a C6...Well, let me cut to the chase, this guy is teaching Jazz Uke on line and he really is good. I'm having a hard time trying to understand some of his substitutions. For example, as you prob. well, I'm sure you know Lots & Lots of R&R from the '50's use I vi ii V progression......SO, he says we will substitute other chords for the progression....but one of those substitutions I cannot figure out...For example in the key of C he says substitute the vi (in this case Am) with C#dim....It doesn't seem there are enough notes common to those two chords for a good substitution BUT.......It sounds good when I use but I don't know WHY IT FITS!!! Would you ever substitute an Am for a C#dim?? Can you explain why it works.
Posted By: PhillyJazz Re: KETRON SD-2 - 01/14/13 04:30 PM
I guess a C#dim is more a "color" chord than having a true harmonic function in some contexts. An am sub for a Cmajor is really the same (an inversion) as a C6 (same notes.) It just adds some variation rather than hanging on a C major..but not as "colorful" as a CMaj7.

Often you will see a C-c#dim -dm - g7 kind of progression (Fats Waller did a lot of them.) It just adds interest, but again, no REAL function... You can also use this in a tune like "Blue Monk" where the dim chord a half step up from I adds tension.

Posted By: bert70656 Re: KETRON SD-2 - 01/14/13 10:58 PM
OK Philly, the words "Real Function" is key here. I guess what he's doing is just giving me a Passing Chord. I understand that. Other than sounding Jazzy the C#dim would not sound good in a pop standard or such I think. Thanks for your help. I prob. don't know what I'm talking about but I WILL!!
© PG Music Forums