PG Music Home
I haven’t used any of my multi-media PG apps in months (like Blues Piano Master class vol 1, or 20 Tunes Jazz Guitar vol 3, even Oscar Peterson) but they all crash when trying to play video now. Actually crash is a harsh way of saying I get a: “No MCI device at ..” and if I clear that error then I usually get: “a problem occurred initializing MCI at..” or variations on those errors but always reporting something about MCI being out to lunch.

These SAME programs run fine on laptop. And yes I have de-installed and reinstalled a few of these just to see what would happen (Blues Piano Master Class).
I have READ what little online helps, FAQ’,s etc. there is on this issue and did the TWO things PG suggested: update Direct X and video card drives as well as DISABLED the unimodem half-duplex audio device.I even went registry diving and got rid of some older Divx apps/drives, etc.

Now in terms of audio and video codecs my laptop and desktop have same ones (except for the HW differences like laptop sound card (generic built in) and desktop Soundblaster Audigy
I can run all the wmv files in media player independent of the program but that kind of defeats purpose.

My desktop is an older Dell XPS Pentium 4 3.2 GHz, 250 GB SATA and a 500 GB SATA, 4 GB RAM;
WIN XP PRO SP3
Video - ATI (actually Powercolor AGP8x 512MB) (ATI Radeon HD 3850 AGP – current drivers
CURRENT DirectX 9c (just even re-installed)
The tscc codec is also installed

All applications and OS related items are CURRENT and all of audio/video apps appear to be fully functioning including Windows and Windows Media player other than these PG apps that use video. Almost every application (office, developer studio, stats, video apps, music apps, printer drivers, etc.) that are installed on desktop are ALSO installed on laptop – so the two machines look very, very similar in terms of installed and running applications, .dlls etc.

PS Guitar star Brent Mason Country videos all seem to work ?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated (

Thanks in advance
Larry
Hello Larry,

A couple of other things to try:

-install or reinstall the latest available version of Windows Media Player.
-does turning down video acceleration help? (Control Panel | Display | Settings | Advanced | Troubleshoot)
Andrew
Solution was painless and simple - Thanks!
Simply re-installing Windows Media Player(11) - did it. Didn't even have to uninstall first.

I had already tried the turn down video acceleration before I posted here (so obvisouly in my case it had no affect)

Gotta Love PG Music and this forum!

Larry
© PG Music Forums