PG Music Home
Posted By: bugbuster BIAB chords to Sibelius chord symbols? - 01/10/10 06:27 AM
I didn't find discussion of this topic.
I use BiaB to develop changes I like, then write charts in Sibelius.
I wish I could import the chord changes to chord symbols on, say, and empty staff in Sibelius.
Does such a plug-in exist, or is it feasible?
Hello,

The chord symbols are saved in MIDI files exported from Band-in-a-Box, but they are 'manufacturer specific meta events' that can't be read by third party programs.
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: BIAB chords to Sibelius chord symbols? - 01/11/10 09:53 PM
Since there are a ton of notation softwares out there, it would be a function of them to "learn" to read incoming data.
Posted By: Mac Re: BIAB chords to Sibelius chord symbols? - 01/12/10 01:42 AM
Sibelius can "extract" chords from MIDI file automatically, much the same fashion as BiaB does. This can still be problematic at times, because these things will identify extensions on chords that may not really be there, such as in the case of a straight C Major chord comp where the melody line may cross notes besides the triad.

The MIDI Standard does not contain any chord data. An oversight, I think, that sorely needs corrected but I doubt that will ever happen with MIDI as we know it.

--Mac
Someone more familiar with the process than John might dream up a way to use the function for outputting chords and grabbing them.

For example in order for my voice harmonizer to work I select ch 5 for the
Soloist, make sure there is nothing on the track and set the chord ouput to ch 5. I can choose triads or complex chords. If you click on the midi box and monitor what is going on, you see the chords on and off stuff, notes etc, and I route that with a midi cable to my voicelive.

Can you grab that data with a utility and import it to a track?
Posted By: sc Re: BIAB chords to Sibelius chord symbols? - 12/15/10 08:01 PM
I have recertly purchased Band in a box so i can learn chords like the circle of fifths with inversions.
However i have noticed that the Chords symbles at the top of the page do not match the fingering as well as
my band in a box will not scroll with the fingering at the top unless i restore to factory settings and most of the time that dosent work. I have to use big piano. I thought that the Chord symbles at the top were for the C cleff staff at the bottom. Could you please assist me with this problem. I have three chord progams that interpret and show chord fingering and almost never do the chords in band in a box match even basic chords like a D major or C major. Its mind boggling.

ZP.S. This is my first time using this forum so my email address scbrooks2@cox.net. If you reply please send me a copy on my normal email because tech support with band in a box is rather busu this time of the year.

thanks musc

Steve.
Posted By: jford Re: BIAB chords to Sibelius chord symbols? - 12/15/10 08:53 PM
I'm not in front of my BIAB computer, but I believe there is a preferences setting where you can select chords of type "Folk" to display the simple versions of the chords. Give that a try and see if it shows more of what you are used to seeing.
Posted By: MartinB Re: BIAB chords to Sibelius chord symbols? - 12/18/10 10:28 AM
*** MusicXML ***
I've been trying to work with MIDI and Sibelius for a while now and have reached the opinion that Sibelius does very few things well if any import or capture method is used. SOME MXML files go in OK, but MIDI very seldom does unless the MIDI has been carefully created with instruments named/located in the STANDARD positions. But just taking an acoustic piano from my Motif XS-8 for example is a mess. It doesn't split at C4 and yet much less expensive programs like "Notation Composer" do a great job of splitting a piano track and correctly attributing chords if you want them. However, when you output from Notation Composer to XML and then bring the XML into Sibelius, there are usually a ton of errors (alleged) by the Sibelius import.

The only way I've been able to get consistent results from MIDI to Sibelius is to either capture the MIDI with ProTools and then edit the score in PT and then save as Sibelius.
© PG Music Forums