PG Music Home
Posted By: Bob_B A better, simpler install - 12/25/11 05:12 PM
I've been a user of BIAB since the late 90s, so you'd think by now the install process would be second nature. Ain't! Come on PG music. If I bought the ultrapak HD, it's because I wanted all the programs as advertised. So, why do you force me to go through -- what is it? six? -- separate installations to get the full functionality of the ultrapak? I'd welcome a one-stop installation in BIAB2013. Of course, it would even be nicer if the installation program knew I was upgrading, but I'll hold off that wish until 2014 (lol).

Bob
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: A better, simpler install - 12/25/11 05:42 PM
Interesting, Bob, exactly how would you like to see it changed? It installs BiaB, then it installs RB. Those are separate cause some people still do not want RB, they use Sonar or Reaper or something else, It installs the RTs, which are different which ever set you buy, and it installs any bonus packs you buy, plus any of the other programs you want like the guitar and piano instruction programs. BiaB is only two installs at most, depending on your package. All the rest are other programs, that you have the choice to install or not.
Posted By: Bob_B Re: A better, simpler install - 12/25/11 06:42 PM
Hi RobH:

What I was thinking would be an installer akin to the likes of many of the Adobe installation programs. During installation, the user is asked for "typical" or "custom". In custom, a folder icon is presented with an option to load the entire contents or any parts of it. Expanding the folder brings up a list of its components, which can be individually selected, or the entire folder can be selected; the user has a choice. Wouldn't it be nice if the BIAB installer had the same feature, so you could load BIAB, RB, the components of the 10PAK etc., to your heart's desire, but do it at one time, not in separate installations? It's the separate installations that I feel are unnecessary. That was my thought.

Bob
Posted By: John Conley Re: A better, simpler install - 12/25/11 06:54 PM
I did put something along these lines on the table during beta.

And I will +1 the OP.

There are so many ways to achieve this that I won't stoop to suggest to someone else the methods however,

I'd like to see personalized installs, based on the purchase and history.

And whenever downloads of updates or reatltracks or whatever happen, have the installer take over and get things done;

It is after all 2012 soon...

And the ability to 'phone home' or not. To check for updates. To manage updates. To get free offers. (I did say free eh?)

I'd think that if support was to track install questions, and then you go back and figure out how to eliminate them, plus make us happy, well it's a no brainer...

Let's go!
© PG Music Forums