PG Music Home
Posted By: John-Luke CPU load meter - 01/09/12 07:52 AM
With the BIAB 2012 version, we can now use a VSTi and many VSTe for each track in a song. These VSTs add some load to the CPU. I think it is time to add inside BIAB a CPU load meter to get control over the CPU load and so over the VST quantity we can add or not. Many pro DAWs have this utility embedded in their programs. For advanced users using RealTracks and many VSTi/VSTe, it will become very handy to use this feature.
Posted By: Ryszard Re: CPU load meter - 01/09/12 11:12 AM
Windows' Task Manager contains a CPU load meter which can be run minimized in the Taskbar. I also use a third-party meter from the Advanced System Care Toolbox, a free utility which has a more informative interface. They also have a Game Boost function to minimize unneeded services while processing audio.

HTH,

Richard
Posted By: John-Luke Re: CPU load meter - 01/09/12 02:53 PM
Thanks for your comments. Yes, I know the Windows meter. The CPU load meter should be inside the program, as done for example in Kontakt Sampler. Native Instruments people did not say "hey guys use your Windows meter". They did it ! You open BIAB and you have all the tools you need, that is ergonomy.
Posted By: Ryszard Re: CPU load meter - 01/09/12 04:52 PM
Question of outlook here. All of those programs run within Windows. Open Windows and there's a usage meter. Ergonomy again. Some third-party meters, such as the one I mentioned, are better than those of Windows or the other programs.
Posted By: pwarren Re: CPU load meter - 01/11/12 07:51 PM
Quote:

Thanks for your comments. Yes, I know the Windows meter. The CPU load meter should be inside the program, as done for example in Kontakt Sampler. Native Instruments people did not say "hey guys use your Windows meter". They did it ! You open BIAB and you have all the tools you need, that is ergonomy.

Maybe so, but the additional usage monitor would also consume resources. It's always best to use an OS widgit if it exists.

If you really need to launch the CPU meter from within BiaB then go to the GM|Run other program|Choose other application menu and set it to run \windows\system32\taskmgr.exe, that way you can always launch it using GM|Run other program|Run other application.
© PG Music Forums