PG Music Home
I think this software is great, however, it would make a lot of sense to add a live monitor feature. So I can plug my electric guitar directly to the computer and be able to use Vst's for effects. I know you can do this is realband, but to have it in Band in A Box makes sense as well. It is a software that is used to practice with, and you can plug in a midi instrument and practice live. Why not a line input for audio?

People please respond to this. And if you think it would be a beneficial feature- then please support by stating so:)

Band in a box- rocks- love it, it just needs some work. An updated interface, and better vst instrument windows. Looks a bit cheesy
Welcome to the forum.
Thank you,
no replies? Think of how important of a feature this is. If enough people support the idea of it, they will implement it.

Feel free to post- let PG music know.
I can record audio into BIAB's one audio track anytime I want. I also can add plugins into that audio track via the new "mixer" window (haven't done that, though). I don't understand what you are are asking for. Most of the input monitoring type stuff is handled in your audio/digital interface.
I suppose he wants to apply VST effects to his guitar in realtime.
Quote:

I suppose he wants to apply VST effects to his guitar in realtime.

I have that feature in Sonar -- but I've never used it. I will have to give a try next time around, but I suppose that would increase the echo or latency issues.
Correct, I would like to listen to my guitar realtime with effects. RealBand has a feature that allows this. Band in a box does not.

In Band in a box
With the audio interface you can not listen realtime with effects.

I do this with cubase- and realband. using ASIO4ALL drivers, and I have no latency issues at all. If it is, it is 11ms, and I can't tell

But this feature should be included in Band in a Box. Why? Because some people like to practice by plugging into their computer (Some folks don't have an amp) So I use my computer.

This is called live input monitoring.

Think of it as a THRU channel that allows audio input. Instead of only MIDI

I know you can record and play back your track- but what is odd, is, you can't even hear your track with effects while you are playing what you are recording.

You have to have it recorded first, then apply the effects. Seems strange to me.
It is a cool feature for sure, but remember that BiaB is not a true DAW, that is why they are developing RB. It is the true multitracker, hence why that feature is in RB That is the proper place to add live tracks.

They may add it someday, who knows, in the mean time try recording in RB.
Quote:

It is a cool feature for sure, but remember that BiaB is not a true DAW, that is why they are developing RB.

Sorry, Robh, I don't see your point. He is not asking for direct monitoring to record, but because "some people like to practice by plugging into their computer (Some folks don't have an amp) So I use my computer. ", wich still is, in fact, one of the main uses of BIAB for a lot of people. I think having direct monitoring would be very useful for those people who likes to play along with BIAB taking advantage of the new VST effects per track feature.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?u...p;x=16&y=22

I don't know if this would fit your needs. I use it with headphones, my EWI 4000s and plugged into my laptop output. It takes 1/8" plugs. I can practice without bothering anyone.

P.S. It's the Belkin Rockstar. All the inputs are in/out.
Cerio, I don't have an amp either, well at least one I like the sound of (roland cube) so I also play through the computer. I also find that it is better to have all the instruments in the same space so to speak, and a separate amp does not blend them as well for me. I know what he wanted, and was just pointing out a workaround in RB. Until they decide to add that feature, then RB will open any and all BiaB files and play them, with input monitoring.

One other thought is that input monitoring adds a layer of difficulty, and latency so i found a better way was to purchase a effects pedal board and add the effects prior to the signal.
Quote:

I know what he wanted, and was just pointing out a workaround in RB. Until they decide to add that feature, then RB will open any and all BiaB files and play them, with input monitoring.

Sorry Rob, I misread your post.
Not a problem i misread my own post more often than not! It is more likely that i mis-typed it, rather than you misread it.
there is no latency. I have been exporting my BIAB tracks to Realband. But this takes time and is not easy to transpose. So, for practicing sake- this feature seems like it should not be very difficult to put together. They already have a recording audio feature.

I don't really care about recording, I use a daw to record= Cubase. Realband is incredibly weak compared to Cubase.

So, I think they should focus on developing BIAB with better features, and a more
updated, modern looking interface."

Does anyone know how to get PG Music to respond to this request?
This is the forum for request, and they read this, so if it is on the list of improvements they will consider it.

As far as it taking time to move to RB, what method are you using? Have you tried just opening a BiaB file in RB? that is the fast way.

I disagree that RB is weak compared to Cubase or any DAW. I have both Reaper and Sonar, and while they are more feature rich, RB can hold it's own and is far deeper than most originaly think. You can do so much more than the surface shows. Maybe the big names have deep tool conventional tool sets, but a lot of that is never used, by the average user.

I see PG focusing on a tool set that is unique, and really useful. Cubase, Sonar, Reaper, Logic, or no other DAW on the market can generate realtracks, and when you think about it, in Rb you can create in Midi, Audio, Realtracks, RealDrums, and now loops. Not the traditional paint in loops like Acid, or garageband, but actual loop generation, opening up the whole world of sound to you. Anything you can record as a wave file loop, you can turn into a full track.

As far a focusing on BiaB, rather than RB, you would find a lot of disagreement here with that view. RB is a direct result of the request of many users here, a melding of BiaB with Powertracks. It is IMHO just a upgraded automation system, and a couple upgrades in the VSTi handling away from rocking with the big boys. RB is not weak, it is powerful in other ways that no other DAW can touch, and it still has the ability to do 95% of the basic stuff the more traditional programs do.
I am using real tracks, that is why it takes so long.

I have found some ways to work around, but it is time consuming to export, then import in realband. Anyway, I am patiently waiting for PG music to have add this feature in a future update Right PG MUSIC?
I don't understand still the time to export/import. That is totally unnecessary, RB opens up BiaB files and it takes literally seconds here. There is no need to export, just save the file, and open RB, and open the file there. It will take a few seconds to generate the tracks and then you just go from there.
Not much time if you consider that a whole band and all their tracks are being created. Once you save as a RB seq it loads immediately.
not if I am using realtracks, plus transposing takes long as well. Anyway, I have been using realband, but my preference is band in a box. Using realband after loading my song in biab, then saving an opening the file is really time consuming. It just doesn't make sense to not have a live monitoring input function. It's a software for practicing. I see what you are saying, I just think it makes sense to have that feature in biab.
I agree that it is a cool feature to have especially for what you are doing with the program.

I use Realtrack all the time, and yes they open in RB after being created in BiaB. It tkae a few seconds sometimes a minute, as they have to regenerate, but once the process is done it doesn't have to do it again. I love BiaB, but once i have a song built, i don't go back to BiaB, RB has way to many tools. I practice in RB, it does not have to regenerate every time, just once.
I bought a behringer mixer that has main and aux outs. I send both outputs to my studio monitors, amp or PA. BIAB output goes to main and my playalong goes to AUX.

This lets you play along in realtime, and it offers some other advanatages too. You have knobs to adjust volume for each part. If the mixer has effects, you can add an overlay of reverb to everything to smooth out the slight differences in sound inherent to real tracks, MIDi and your own playing,

This is a solution you can implement today without having to wait for a program change.
I have been practicing at school through an amp. Which makes due for the meantime. Still I hope they give us this feature
Dallon,
You have my vote, I miss Biab input monitoring too. Every Daw I know has that option, so why would biab be an exception? Loading in Realband works but it costs a few minutes per song to make it ready for playing. A waste of time.
Quote:

I don't really care about recording, I use a daw to record= Cubase. Realband is incredibly weak compared to Cubase.

So, I think they should focus on developing BIAB with better features, and a more
updated, modern looking interface."

Does anyone know how to get PG Music to respond to this request?

Wow. Your choice of words here is interesting. You insult the product then ask them to dedicate development time specifically to serve your wants.

Metaphorically, that's a bit like saying "*****, you're way inferior to all the other girls I know, so I spend most of my time with them, not you.. And your wardrobe is out of date, you need some better clothes if you expect me to spend any time with you. Now, How can I get you to make dinner for me?"

The point in a request like yours or in my metaphor is not so much about the truth as you see it, as it is about having the good sense not to insult the person you are about to ask for a favor.
"Does anyone know how to get PG Music to respond to this request? "

Yeah stand on your head wiggle your ears, and hold your breath. When you start to see pink mice your getting close!

It is constantly funny how folks call out RB as weak. I dare them to generate one freakin' RT or RD with Cubase, let alone generate a midi track from a style! Weak my shiny back side!

Sure Cubase is far older, and more mature in SOME areas. The facts is Cubase is weak in the audio/midi generation development.
Why would I need to generate tracks? I am a musician, I record my own tracks, I just like to practice with chord changes when I am not with other people.
If you record all your own tracks, you are right you do not need track generation. Also you can use any DAW you want since none of the fancy features are needed. So i see why you want this in BiaB.

Rodipoet, RB is only slow on the first generation, after that it can be quite fast to re open any song.
It`s stupid that BIAB don`t have direct input monitoring!!

This is a REALLY REALLY important, obvious and essential point.

Please give us DIRECT INPUT MONITORING.
Quote:

It`s stupid that BIAB don`t have direct input monitoring!!

Don't you mean "It's stupid that BIAB doesn't have" ?
Keith that is pretty good for an ....... Alabamian!

Ducks and covers !
Hmmm, so it has been years since I posted about having direct live input monitoring, and it is still not available?
Originally Posted By: Dallon426
Hmmm, so it has been years since I posted about having direct live input monitoring, and it is still not available?

Welcome back Dallon426! Five years is a long time between posts.

I don't know if PG Music implemented real time audio input monitoring yet. I do not use the program as you described. I can tell you though there has been a bunch of changes since 2012. What version of Band-in-a-Box are you currently using?

I agree that real time audio input monitoring might be a nice feature to have so ...

+1.
good point!
As a possibility and not a promise, you may have too quickly discarded the Record Audio button in Biab. I have version 2017 Biab/RB and have a Realtek soundcard with Windows 7.

I have confirmed that Biab will record audio from other programs output. With my soundcard set for Stereo Mix, Biab will record the output of RB or Audacity or Media Player with MME settings on my system. In each program I loaded an audio file, played it and upon staring recording audio in Biab, Biab recorded the audio input along with the generated style while I could hear both in my headphones.

I did not address latency at all in my experiment.

What you should be able to do is to input your instrument into RB, Run a VST and send the output to the audio recording input of Biab. Both programs can be open and running at the same time without issue on my system.

In theory, you should be able to load a song in Biab for practice, generate the song, Select Record Audio and play along with the Biab song using your instrument playing through RB and hearing the RB audio output of your instrument in Biab recording onto the Audio Track along with the Biab backing track. At the end of the song, hit stop. When the Save Window opens, select the 'Take Again' button so the song and audio are not saved and disc space wasted...

Load and generate another song, select Record Audio and repeat.

Disclaimer: I repeat that I only confirmed Biab will hear and record RB audio output. I know that I can hear my instrument without recording in RB so theoretically for practice, one should be able to play a Biab track while hearing their live instrument output from RB at the same time. Latency may be an issue when using a VST. Don't know.

This is only a suggestion for those who may be interested in further research to see if this is a viable option to practice a live instrument with a Biab track. If it doesn't work for you, you've wasted less time than it takes to read this thread.

Charlie
© PG Music Forums