PG Music Home
Posted By: funkycornwall RealDrums to Different Audio Tracks - 03/17/12 05:25 PM
Hi there,

I think the RealDrums are great and sould be more of them. There have loads of new RealTracks added in the last few versions but no new drums for a while. Anyway what I think would be really cool would be the ability to generate the RealDrums into separate tracks eg. Bass Drum, Snare, Toms, Hi-Hat and Cymbals. Then this would give mush greater control when later mixing down and perhaps adding effects. It would also be easier to modify the wave files to fit songs even better. Maybe this is impossible to do but it would be very cool if it was possible. Perhaps you could have the choice when you render the tracks of wither a single drum track or a grouped drum-track into separate files.

What do other people think?

Cheers

Tony
Posted By: jcspro40 Re: RealDrums to Different Audio Tracks - 03/17/12 06:14 PM
It's been brought up before, but I don't see that happening. It would a major hassle to do I think.....
Yes I am sure it would be difficult to achieve and a great deal of work but it would also be a major selling point and might draw many new users to Band in a Box. Maybe they could design a new set of multi-output drums to complement the existing ones.
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: RealDrums to Different Audio Tracks - 03/19/12 12:22 PM
I think they should make the individual drums tracks available even if it is a separate purchase for those that want to mix with them in RB or another DAW.

We do need more RealDrum sets in general though -- more, more, more!
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: RealDrums to Different Audio Tracks - 03/19/12 01:40 PM
Having it as an optional additional purchase might work, similar to the way the audiophile version is available for those who need that.

I could use several tracks to combine Latin percussion with the 'regular' drum track. But don't forget, for the first time in version 2012, we now have something of a work-around with the loops feature.
Posted By: jford Re: RealDrums to Different Audio Tracks - 03/19/12 04:41 PM
Given that these are audio recordings of real drummers playing real drum sets, I'm not sure how they would get clean recordings of each part without some sort of bleedover.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: RealDrums to Different Audio Tracks - 03/19/12 05:00 PM
Indeed. It would require lots of audio editing, if even possible. How it was recorded originally to separate tracks is critical.
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: RealDrums to Different Audio Tracks - 03/19/12 06:50 PM
Quote:

Given that these are audio recordings of real drummers playing real drum sets, I'm not sure how they would get clean recordings of each part without some sort of bleedover. -- jford

yes, you are going to have bleed-over. The drums separated out is NOT to have individual stuff to mix and match between realdrum sessions (although some would want that and it could be done in certain situations), but to mix differently the existing drum track based on the song's needs. If you want the kick drum to stand out in a section, you could bring down the other tracks. There's still some bleed-over, but that is to be expected.

Now, some would want to mix and match between realdrum sessions -- but that really is more of a "loop" function.

Kevin

P.S. But I am sure there would be lots of opportunities to mix and match, if that is what you want to do.
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: RealDrums to Different Audio Tracks - 03/19/12 10:34 PM
Or a better drum sample issue.
Posted By: carkins Re: RealDrums to Different Audio Tracks - 03/20/12 01:33 AM
Wonder if it would be possible to have a real drummer play a section several times over but each time using only one part of his drum kit and hitting the rest in the air (like playing air drums)to eliminate the bleeding problem.

He or she could follow a headphone recording of their full kit playing as a guide.

Or could individual Realdrum sounds be sampled and then synced to a midi signal as opposed to a synthesized midi drum sound or are those programs probably already available?.
Just some ideas.

Carkins
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: RealDrums to Different Audio Tracks - 03/20/12 04:23 AM
Don't forget, it's already possible to split MIDI drums to different tracks. And Drum libraries like BFD can make a big difference in the sound. I dare say that a real MIDI enthusiast using BFD and MIDI drums split to different tracks could create a drum track that would make you smile.
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: RealDrums to Different Audio Tracks - 03/20/12 01:38 PM
I use Jamstix for drums a lot, and it has a 8 output setting, that i can use to make split drum tracks, and while i do not use it often, when i do it comes out really cool.
Posted By: filkertom Re: RealDrums to Different Audio Tracks - 03/21/12 09:30 PM
Yeah, most DAWs have a default that sets up the number of tracks you need for the drum software. BFD and Addictive Drums are great supplements to BIAB.
Posted By: Andy123 Re: RealDrums to Different Audio Tracks - 04/12/12 08:28 AM
Hi Tom,
I completely agree with you that Addicitive Drums is great. But I find it doesn't marry-up perfectly with Real Band. ie the AD 'Play' button doesn't work at all, and the 'tempo' and 'sync' buttons are unreliable. What's your experience ? Did you find a way to get AD to work perfectly with RB ? Thanks - Best - Andy
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: RealDrums to Different Audio Tracks - 04/12/12 02:28 PM
RB/PT does not allow tempo sync so programs like Jamstix, and AD that require it will not work other than as "dumb" drum samplers. It is a feature request that has been on the board for a long time.
Posted By: Andy123 Re: RealDrums to Different Audio Tracks - 04/13/12 07:37 AM
Many Thanks Robh - that's really helpful. I'm pretty good with BIAB, but new to RB. It's re-assuring to know it really is the software, not me ! It would be great if RB could be tweaked to work seamlessly with AD, but I still find AD a great add-on. The only significant problem I've found is that to listen to a midi file, you have to drag it into RB, rather than using the 'Play' function within AD. I've always been a RT-only BIAB-user, but AD has greatly increased the variety of usable drums sounds I have available.
Posted By: KeithS Re: RealDrums to Different Audio Tracks - 04/13/12 02:46 PM
Quote:

What do other people this?

Sounds like a lot of PG development funds would get diverted away from adding other instruments which I think would be a priority for most of us. If I ever have a need to get that specific with my drum mixing I can think of ways to do it that would utilize my existing library of drum loops.
Posted By: MikeK Re: RealDrums to Different Audio Tracks - 04/13/12 03:27 PM
Quote:

Quote:

What do other people this?

Sounds like a lot of PG development funds would get diverted away from adding other instruments which I think would be a priority for most of us. If I ever have a need to get that specific with my drum mixing I can think of ways to do it that would utilize my existing library of drum loops.

I'm with ya there, Keith.
Posted By: filkertom Re: RealDrums to Different Audio Tracks - 04/15/12 04:19 PM
Quote:

Hi Tom,
I completely agree with you that Addicitive Drums is great. But I find it doesn't marry-up perfectly with Real Band. ie the AD 'Play' button doesn't work at all, and the 'tempo' and 'sync' buttons are unreliable. What's your experience ? Did you find a way to get AD to work perfectly with RB ? Thanks - Best - Andy

Sorry I didn't answer earlier, Andy -- I was offline for a couple of days. What they said, though: RB doesn't do any tempo mapping, which is one of the reasons I don't use it myself. You can adjust AD's tempo to your project in RB, but if there's any variance in tempo you're stuck.
Posted By: Andy123 Re: RealDrums to Different Audio Tracks - 04/15/12 10:21 PM
Many Thanks Tom. I wonder if enabling RB to do tempo-mapping would be a big task for the PG tec's ? Best - Andy
© PG Music Forums