PG Music Home
Posted By: toucher Midi file editing in BIAB - 12/22/13 10:27 PM
Working a lot with midi files, I'm always looking for easier ways to do what I want to do. Being a long time BIAB user, I would like to see a way to use a SMF more advantageously within the program, without having to leave BIAB.

Currently open midi file to BIAB, it loads onto Melody Track only. Use Green SEQ button to see and edit various parts, delete them etc.

It would be beneficial to be able to rechannel say the bass part from the SMF to the Bass track in BIAB and then freeze it to prevent regeneration. Then follow suit with other channels from the Melody Track. After freezing one or more midi parts, then generate from an appropriate style the remaining parts.

All parts used to automatically regenerate, but since we can now freeze tracks in BIAB, why not take full advantage of it.

Maybe this is already possible, and I just haven't figured it out yet, if so please advise.

Rob
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Midi file editing in BIAB - 12/23/13 12:42 AM
+1 Great observation toucher. Any change that can help with midi track generation and editing would be most welcome.
Posted By: kelso Re: Midi file editing in BIAB - 12/23/13 05:05 AM
If you use File/Import Chords from MIDI File you have some choices on how BIAB directs the various MIDI channels. I usually look at the file first in another program (Sonar or VanBasco) to see on what channel the bass, melody, chording, etc. are (although BIAB is quite accurate in doing this automatically in this dialog). I usually direct the melody channel to the Melody Part, and all the other channels to the Soloist Part.

After import go to the Melody and Soloist Sequencer Windows to make changes to this allocation, and control Show and Play.

Now you can get the Lead Sheet View to show any or all the channels of the Mel or Sol Sequencer.

I know that's not just what you want, but maybe a start.

Alternatively - taking your approach - maybe try import as above. Then go to the PRV, select one channel (say the channel of the bass part on the Sol Part), copy all, click to display the BIAB Bass Part, select all, delete (BLAB-generated bass part notes), paste copied bass notes (from the MIDI file), freeze Bass Part. Repeat for other channels.

Good luck. Let us know what works best for you.
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Midi file editing in BIAB - 12/23/13 04:44 PM
Touch' I get what you want, and i know you don't want to hear this, but what you are asking is already possible .... in RB. the 7 tracks in Biab are designed specifically to generate of a style, or with RTs. To add the ability to split out midi files other than melody track or soloist track, is kind of redundant. all you have to do to do this is open the file in RB. All the tools are built in to do all of this type stuff on all 48 tracks.

One feature i would love to see in RB is the ability to highlight a note on the left hand grid and copy all that one note. So you can paste to a different track. You can drag and copy but it is a tad clunky right now. RB will split midi files and allow you to handle them separately, and it will natively open BB files and split them automatically.
Posted By: thokern Re: Midi file editing in BIAB - 12/23/13 06:14 PM
+1 and do not forget the MAC users....
Posted By: John-Luke Re: Midi file editing in BIAB - 01/14/14 12:26 PM
+1
Extend the MIDI edition to the all 16 channels.
Posted By: Leon Carpenter Re: Midi file editing in BIAB - 01/14/14 09:27 PM
Kelso, Since 2008, I have wondered why P.G. Music could not incorporate a simple Midi track listing feature such as Van Basco, or better still Anvil Studios. Each one showing track activity, and instrument ID. Anvil Studios also adds mute, solo, pan, volume adjust as well as track delete and midi voice selection and notation in realtime. And it is free with no unwanted apps. and tool bars. Even using this program, several steps are needed to get to where you are wanting to go with a midi song. This is before you even select- open a midi file in BB. Even then, the track #'s listed in BB are usually wrong. A compare O with Anvil Studios will almost always be needed. Or, I could learn to use RealBand. blush Why not be able to keep it in BIAB without messing with the sequencer button. As in, open a midi file, with all 16 channels and play. Just my 2 cents. For this reason I avoid Midi files when possible. ----Leon
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Midi file editing in BIAB - 01/15/14 12:32 AM
Leon, the answer is that BiaB is not a True DAW, anvil studio is a DAW a crude and simple down and dirty DAW program. BiaB is not, RB is a True Audio/Midi Digital workstation. BiaB was designed from the ground up to generate up to 7 tracks of audio/midi for immediate backing track creation. To build and edit midi and audio as a true multitrack studio they built Powertracks, and then melded it into BiaB as RB so we could have just as you suggest. Anvil studio is and should be compared to RB not BiaB.
© PG Music Forums