PG Music Home
Posted By: MollyP Jazz Symbols - 08/22/14 06:12 PM
Hello, I've used BB for many years primarily to write clear charts. I use some of the play back stuff but mostly I need clear charts to give my musicians and also to learn the head. I prefer using Jazz Symbols but in BB one must use the Jazz Font to get the jazz symbols. The jazz font is not a good font for clear reading in a gig situation. So I'm putting in my wish for Plain font and Jazz symbols. I actually use very little of BB so there's a lot of clutter that is just unnecessary for my needs. I also use BB on my Mac but it was easier to use on my PC. Just saying. I have BB2013 for Mac. Finale is too expensive and BB does make pretty nice charts. Just looking for a bit more for my use.
Posted By: raymb1 Re: Jazz Symbols - 08/27/14 06:00 PM
I use the jazz symbols and font for all the charts my band uses. No one has any trouble reading the chords. What's the problem with your fonts? Maybe you can post a shot of one of your charts so we can take a look. Later, Ray
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Jazz Symbols - 08/27/14 11:14 PM
I can support this request. I prefer the appearance of chord names in non-jazz fonts, but it would be nice to have the option of using the jazz symbols with them.
Posted By: Cerio Re: Jazz Symbols - 08/28/14 10:41 AM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
I can support this request. I prefer the appearance of chord names in non-jazz fonts, but it would be nice to have the option of using the jazz symbols with them.

+1
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Jazz Symbols - 08/28/14 02:15 PM
+1
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Jazz Symbols - 08/28/14 02:50 PM
MollyP, by "jazz symbols", I assume you mean the triangle for Major 7th, and the little circle for Diminished, things like that. Right?

Thinking more on this, what is needed to fulfill this request is a whole new font.

From my work years ago teaching desktop publishing, I don't think you could just graft some symbols from a PG Music-designed font onto another 'standard' font, which are all trademarked. Perhaps create a second PG Music jazz font, but one not so italicized and stylistic as that which makes the current one look handwritten?

One problem would be that, just like in a word processor, everyone has a favorite font. Still, it would be nice to have a second font choice to still get the jazz symbols.

ps, MollyP, welcome to the forum. Very interesting first post.
© PG Music Forums