PG Music Home
Posted By: Michael Frank Get over the 255 bar limit - 08/31/14 04:49 AM
I suggest, that there should be a higher limit of bars for BIAB.
Maybe it should be at least 2048 bars or 4096 bars.
I wanted to import some classical MIDI Files and the maximum limit of bars was not enough to do so.
Especially for longer classical Symphonies or something like that, you should have a higher limit of bars.
So you could easier import classical music and later make a style out of it.

Please do so, I guess this really should not be a problem to program the code for that.

Michael Frank
Posted By: cyberbrass Re: Get over the 255 bar limit - 10/16/14 04:00 AM
I totally agree . There are some Waltz styles that make really nice 6/8 & 12/8 styles if you combine 2 bars into 1 measure for the 6/8 style , or combine 4 bars into one measure for the 12/8 style . Unfortunately , this uses up a lot of bars real quick . It would also be nice to be able to put together a long medley into one song file . Yes I believe that raising the bar limit for BIAB is a must
Posted By: Icelander Re: Get over the 255 bar limit - 10/17/14 03:53 PM
sounds like an outdated imposed limitation of less capable systems. +1
Posted By: MarioD Re: Get over the 255 bar limit - 10/17/14 07:39 PM
Originally Posted By: Icelander
sounds like an outdated imposed limitation of less capable systems. +1

I think it is more of a 32-bit program limitation.

+1
Posted By: Cerio Re: Get over the 255 bar limit - 10/17/14 09:35 PM
+1000
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Get over the 255 bar limit - 10/18/14 01:49 PM
Been asked for over and over and over...
Posted By: GHinCH Re: Get over the 255 bar limit - 10/27/14 09:53 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
I think it is more of a 32-bit program limitation.

+1

It probably didn't have anything to do with bandwidth. I don't remember whether the first computer for the development has had a 4-bit or an 8-bit processor. The first IBM PC did have a 16-bit processor using an 8-bit data bus.

Back then [in the 1980s] memory was very expensive. So the developers probably, it's a wild guess, were misers when it came to memory consumption. Remember, it is one byte in each file. One 8-bit-byte, there were others like 7 or 9-bit-bytes also, has a limit of 256 different combinations going from 0000 0000 to 1111 1111. If that byte is embedded in all files then changing it is a major step for the program architects. Suddenly you might not be able to access your old files anymore with the then contemporary version of BIAB; or you probably run into limitations to exchange files with users of older versions.

There are some posts in the wishlist that require a change of the file format. I'm certain that PGMusic is developing an import/export routine for legacy files.

+1

Guido
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Get over the 255 bar limit - 10/27/14 11:38 PM
Right. 2 raised to the 8th power is 256, so it's eight-bit computing with a range of 0 to 255, giving 256 possible states.

This limitation must be built into the program in such a deep way that major changes would be needed to raise it, or else this ancient request would have been honored long ago.
© PG Music Forums