PG Music Home
I can't believe that in this day and age we still have to edit a complicated text file to add your own chord substitutions to the chord sub dialog box. It's not 1989 any more!
Please update this applet to easily add your own ideas to the list which as it stands leaves out an awful lot of possibilities!

Alan
Anything that starts with "make it easier to.." is going to automatically get a +1 from me on principal cool
Alan, I don't find this difficult to do, but you are right, it could be improved.

Since I know you have a superb knowledge of chord types, I wonder if you have already constructed a large list? Mine is quite short, four or so.
Matt, I have several that are derived from the Coltrane 'Giant Steps' 3 tonic system (C E Ab) where I add other familiar formulas like tritone subs and different chord qualities to disguise the sequence.

You can do the same with a 4 tonic system based on m3rd key changes.

I've some that are more like polymodal ideas to apply when the chords are static and/or when I need to come up with changes over a pedal point that support chromatic or intervallic lines.

Other methods I use are not really applicable to the automated chord sub function; it's more a case of using constant structures that follow the melody or counter melody so they're going to be different for every tune.

Alan
Originally Posted By: alan S.
Matt, I have several that are derived from the Coltrane 'Giant Steps' 3 tonic system (C E Ab) where I add other familiar formulas like tritone subs and different chord qualities to disguise the sequence.

You can do the same with a 4 tonic system based on m3rd key changes.

I've some that are more like polymodal ideas to apply when the chords are static and/or when I need to come up with changes over a pedal point that support chromatic or intervallic lines.

Other methods I use are not really applicable to the automated chord sub function; it's more a case of using constant structures that follow the melody or counter melody so they're going to be different for every tune.

Alan

Gosh, there's more to this music thing than I thought. frown Total gibberish to me - maybe I should have studied harder. grin
Quote:
Gosh, there's more to this music thing than I thought. frown Total gibberish to me - maybe I should have studied harder. grin

Lol. If you think it sounds gibberish on paper wait till you hear the chord sequences on playback... yeah you guessed it,gibberish! That is until you stick a single note bass drone under the whole thing to tie it together. It covers a multitude of chordal sins I find!

I have to admit I'm struggling when it comes to chromatic harmony. It's far easier when you just stick to functional progressions in major and minor keys. It's just that I get bored hearing the same overused chord sequences you get in mainstream jazz so I keep looking for something new.

Alan
© PG Music Forums