PG Music Home
Posted By: SkyHawk Windows Media Player - 11/21/14 08:47 PM
Please make BB be able to use whatever the default program is to play sound files or choose my own player. Right now I have a problem with Windows Media Player and can't preview any styles because BB keeps trying to launch Windows Media Player.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Windows Media Player - 11/21/14 09:54 PM
Welcome to the forum. I don't know this for certain but I'm guessing BIAB is relying on Windows to load whatever is the default media player, and that is Windows Media Player on your system. You could try going into the Windows file associations and changing MP3 and WAV files to another player you may have (for example, the VLC Player).
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Windows Media Player - 11/21/14 10:06 PM
+1

The Windows version of Band-in-a-Box will use only Windows Media Player for some functions, including style preview. I deleted Windows Media Player from my computer years ago then had to re-install it for BiaB use.

Matt, unfortunately BiaB does not use file association for a few functions including style preview.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Windows Media Player - 11/21/14 10:41 PM
Thanks for that info, Jim.

Given those facts, +1 to the original post.
Posted By: SkyHawk Re: Windows Media Player - 11/22/14 04:34 AM
I called tech support and they confirmed what Jim said. After a few hours of trying to get Windows Media Player working without success, I finally reinstalled Windows and now Windows Media Player works and I can preview styles with the preview player. A quick workaround tech support suggested was to change the double click action on the style preview page to load the style and play rather than preview it. That does help a lot, but getting Media Player working if it's not working is still the best solution for now.
Posted By: Phineas Re: Windows Media Player - 11/23/14 04:15 PM
I will not have Windows Media Player on my PC, mainly because it messes with all my carefully embedded high resolution album art and replaces it with low-res art pulled off the net, generating hundreds of Folder.jpg" or Albumartsmall.jpg files in the process. There seems to be no way in WMP of effectively disabling this (if you disagree, just try it). Why does BIAB need WMP to be installed in order to provide the full functionality I paid for? I use JRiver MC.
Posted By: jford Re: Windows Media Player - 11/24/14 09:09 AM
I believe how WMP acts depends on how you set it up initially. I've not had a problem with WMP taking control of my files and changing my art or any other aspects of them. I import all my own art work to my MP3 files, and have never had a problem with WMP messing with them. That being said, I set up WMP as follows:

© PG Music Forums