PG Music Home
These inconsistencies and bugs have been around for years. Please, PG Team, fix them in future updates

1. The "Change # of semitones each chorus" bug.
This important feature (very useful for jazz students who study standards in all keys) doesn't work at all.
Documented here:
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=173053&Searchpage=4&Main=25482&Words=Transpose+&Search=true#Post173053

2. The "Asio4All" bug.
BIAB doesn't work well with this universal and widely used ASIO driver:
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=239660&page=1

3. The "Conductor" bug.
This feature don't work with Realtracks.
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=267232&Searchpage=1&Main=38152&Words=conductor&Search=true#Post267232

4. The "Undo" problems.
This feature works only with some BIAB functions. Documented many times in the forum, for example here:
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=254445&Searchpage=1&Main=36456&Words=undo&Search=true#Post254445

5. The Endings Bug
Many Realtracks endings don't work properly (the instruments keeps playing normally) if not using an specific chord from the family for the end.
Ex: _SJAZBL2.STY ; endings in D- are fine; endings in D-7 don't work (guitar and piano keeps playing).

6. The "Windows bigger than screen" bug:
Many GUI elements are unfortunately not resizable, but some of them (for example the "RealDrum Picker") are simply bigger than the computer screen!. This was supposedly solved in 2015, but this is what some of the users have now:

And this is what happens if I try to resize that window:

I'll keep posting...

7. The "video windows" bugs.
This new feature is so buggy that it's actually unusable. http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=273429#Post273429

8. The "Save/Save As" problem
There's is no difference between these two functions in BIAB.

9. The "MGU/SGU bug".
MGU format was intended for songs with melodies, when BIAB was a Midi only program. Since the introduction of Realtracks, the program saves any song with any kind of data in the melody track as MGU, no matter if the melody track is an actual melody or a realtrack. This odd behaviour leds to duplication of files and confusion.

10. The "Custom track names" problem
If you're using custom track names, many windows and dialog boxes (for instance any bar "chord options" window) will still show the old convention (B/D/P/G/S/M/S), wich is confusing.

11. The "User tracks waltzes" bug
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=267013
12. The "Notation Options" Bug
Lead Sheet Windows -> Options -> Notation Options -> OK -> Access violation.

13. The "Freeze track" bug.
If you freeze a track, and then generate a song using "The melodist", youl'll get the frozen track not following the corrects chords, and the mixer will show incorrectly the name / color of the frozen track.

14. The "Soloist" bug
If you choose a realtrack soloist from the "Select Soloist" window, the track won't appear on the "Realtracks Picker" window.
MY HERO!! I could add tons of Mac-specific 'issues' to this list!
A massive +1 from me!!!
Cerio,

Thank you for the very detailed bug list. Hope you'll continue the effort as I'm sure there are more.

+1 for fixing what's listed so far.
15. The 256 bar limit.
A serious limitation from the 8 bit era, still present in BIAB 2015

16. The 8.3 filesystem issues.
Another standard feature of Windows 95 still not fully supported by BIAB

17. Drag & Drop support.
Just another standard feature from Windows 95 era, not fully supported in BIAB (think on a "Style Picker Windows" where you could organize your favourite styles simply by dragging & dropin' them)

18. "Section letters" don't appear in the main Window.
This issue was supposedly fixed on 2015 b411, but the problem is still there, http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=39046&Number=272055#Post272055

19. Allow Show / Hide / Resize functions for all the GUI elements.
Another standard feature in any modern audio program, and another very requested feature: we really don't need that enormous mixer right there all the time!

20. The resolution problems.
Actually only modern computers with very high resolutions can show the whole BIAB screen, whose GUI is just too big for computers with medium to high resolutions. Most modern 15'' laptops simply won't be able to correctly show BIAB's GUI (see also p. 6)

21. The Copy/Cut & Paste Audio Bug
This is a diffuse bug, I couldn't find a systematic pattern o situation where the problem always arises: Copying / Cutting Audio from the Audio Edit windows simply works erratically, especially with big audio files and files imported from the ACW with tempo-mapped bars.

22. The Vertical Scroll Bar Bug in ACW
The scroll bar on the ACW, instead of moving the chord grid vertically as it should, just moves the bar cursor horizontally, bar by bar. This makes very difficult having quick access to song parts that are not on the screen.

23. The chord navigation problems.
When you have a long song with many chords, navigating between different parts of the song is a nightmare: there are no visual markers, no zoom system, there is no way of showing more (or less) than 4 bars per row (BTW in ACW we have that possibility), and the scroll between chords pages itself (when the cursor reaches the last chord of the page) is just too abrupt and confusing.

24. The redundancy / disorganization of the menus.
Simply put, all the menus need a serious and urgent reorganization. Under the "File" menu, for example, there are no less than eight different commands (!!!) to open a song, most of them redundant (ex: " Open" already includes "Open Audio", "MIDI", "Kar", but they're there anyway, not grouped into a submenu, but in the same hierarchical level as the main "Open" command) and some of them simply unnecessary (ex: "Import MGU Song")
A great list Cerio - I recognise a few but not all here.

This is why I bang on (apols) about a 64 rewrite. The whole thing needs a rethink, fresh blood.

point 24 "redundancy of menus" we have just had our GUI update and all that stuff was left there again, when its entirely obvious to any good GUI designer that it all needs a rethink. Graphically there are so many ways the presentation of information could be improved.

Not sure about the thread title 'before adding new features fix these basic ones' as I and many others could add a lot more bugs/obscure workings. Just 'fixing the basic ones' would leave development ignoring a proper rethink of how the data sits, is organised and is presented to the user, its all such a mishmash.

The one new feature that is required (we agree I think) is simple, that it WORKS - all of it.

I feel it's a redesign that is needed, fresh modern eyes.
interesting list. I will say that ASIO4All is kind of a dead horse. It is not actually an ASIO driver, it is a wrapper that make MME act like ASIO, and truth be told it is super buggy on a lot of systems. I never could get it to play right over two or three different computers. The rest of the list is pretty solid.
Zero Zero: it's obvious that the program needs a rewrite, but being honest, I don't think that's going to happen, at least in the near future (I wish I'm wrong). So, at least I hope that the developers will fix some of this problems in future updates.

Robh: I've used Asio4all in many different computers (and many different programs) during the last years without problems. In fact, it's the driver I actually use at home for my home recordings with Reaper, and it runs flawlessly. The only program where I've systematically found problems with this driver (well, in fact, with different dedicated ASIO drivers from different soundcards), no matter which computer I use, is BIAB (and Realband)

25. The Recording at relative tempo bug.
When recording audio using the new relative tempo feature, the resulting audio is completely out of sync.

26. The "Chord preview" problems.
The Chord preview feature works only when using the old MME drivers. Also, if you change your Audio drivers from ASIO to MME, the Chord preview won't work even when using MME drivers (you need to got to "Return to factory settings" to get that feature back). Lastly, Chord preview doesn't work on ACW, which probably is the most useful place where you could use that function.

27. The "Copy From...To..." bug.
Described here:
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=20197&Number=132321#Post132321

28. The "Half-time RT don't follow changes in time signatures" bug
Described here (P1)
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=19120&Number=123676#Post123676

29. The Audio Part issues.
If you right click on Audio -> Solo, all the tracks will be red, including the Master track (first oddity). If you now go to Master -> Unmute All, all the tracks will be normal now, but the Master will continue in red and everything will sound fine (second oddity). The Master will continue in red, no matter what yo do until you click again on Audio -> Mute (third oddity). If you mute the Audio track, it appears a check symbol on the menu. If you solo the Audio Track, there's no check symbol, no matter how many times you click on the menu (fourth oddity).

30. The "Yellow Melody even if there's no melody" bug.
If you create a new song using the "Melodist" and uncheck the "Generate Melody" option, the Melody track will be yellow even if there's no melody.

31. The "Overwrite solo" problems.
Currently the only possibility of partially generating Realtracks in BIAB (a much requested feature) is through the "Soloist", using the Custom Mode option. However, the results are nearly always unusable and unmusical, and the phrases are abruptly cutted off.

And last, but not least...

32. Inconsistency, redundancy and lack of connection between dialog boxes.
As with the menus, there's a lot of inconsistency and redundancy between many different dialog boxes in BIAB, due to the way the program has growth during these last years. For example, if you want to assign a Realtrack Soloist to the soloist track, you can:

a. Use the Realtracks picker window and choose the Soloist from there.
b. Use the Select Best Soloist picker window and choose the Soloist from there.
c. Use the Soloist picker window and choose the Soloist from there.
d. Use the "Band styles" windows and pick a real style with solist from there.
e. Use the Stylepicker window and pick a style with a real soloist from there.
f. Right click on the Soloist track and click on the "Choose Realtrack from Recently chosen" option.

All these dialogs do essentially the same (assign a realtrack to the soloist track), but all of them are dispersed over different places of the GUI, all of them have different options (for example, half time option is only available in the main "realtracks picker window"), different search methods, and worst of all, they are not connected in any way between them.

If this way of working is a confusing even for experienced users, try to imagine what a nightmare can be to understand all this "logic" for a newcomer. The GUI really, really, really, needs to be simplified!

Finally, I really don't want to sound all negative: I LOVE the program, I've always (and I'm still am) a fan, I can't express my gratitude enough to Peter and his team for the many hours I've enjoyed and learned with this program. I just wish that for 2016 some of these problems will be addressed, and that the development team will concentrate, instead of adding more and more features, on stability issues, consistence between old and new features, and on unifying / modernizing / simplify the GUI
I'm not a deep enough user to have encountered many of these issues (except for simplifying the menu system, which I have been yammering about for years). Nevertheless, everything in this thread has been carefully considered and documented if possible, so obviously they are significant issues to the concerned users.

I give a big "+1" in the vernacular. Properly speaking, I urge the Good Doctor and the development team to take a close look at these in the context of consistency and ease of use. Like Cerio and many others, I sing the praises of PG Music and BIAB, yet wish for more elegant programming to be implemented.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas, y'all!
Cerio, i noticed that in RB the file drop down system is somewhat different this year, so at least that one is moving forward.
Originally Posted By: Robh
Cerio, i noticed that in RB the file drop down system is somewhat different this year, so at least that one is moving forward.

That's a good start. A basic reorganization of the menus shouldn't take much more than a couple of hours from the development team.

Things like this:

or this:

are one of the main reasons why so many people perceive the program as "difficult" and "non intuitive". In effect, even for experienced users, is difficult to find the right one in that jungle of commands, all in the same level, without any kind of hierarchy or logic. Just grouping all related commands in submenus, arranging the order of the commands following logical criteria (or in alphabetical order, when appropriate) and deleting redundant / outdated commands, will help a lot.
Great list Cerio in particular this one grabs my attention,

19. Allow Show / Hide / Resize functions for all the GUI elements.

But to be honest I have given up hope with all the requests for rewrites or a lot of fixes.

I don't think PGmusic has the resources to do it, don't see the necessity to do it, and will carry on the way it is.

The only time I can see a major rewrite taking place is if PGmusic is bought out, or something happens that biab no longer works with a windows OS, and the failing to do so is so great that only way to solve it is having a total rewrite.

That saying I love biab even the way it is, and will continue to upgrade if finances allow.

Musiclover
Originally Posted By: musiclover
...and will continue to upgrade.
Musiclover

Agree with everything you said, except this. This will mark the fist year since the very beginning... is it me or is it BIAB? crazy
33: VST selection not saved bug
Setup a specific VST and other options in the Plugins. Save. Close the song.

Later reopen the song and the VST has reverted to the default, and also in the case of multiple instruments in the VST library, the required Instrument does not load in the VST.

Other slots previously used are blank also (e.g. is reverb, compressor etc).

At the moment I am using Song Memo to remind me what the the VST settings were so I can set them up again each time.
(Copy post from BIAB for Windows Forum)

By way of introduction: a big +1 to Cerio's call over in the Wishlist for a clean re-write, in preference to new toys, during 2015.

I'd like to mention three new bugs in 15 that weren't there in 14.

First: 'remember window size and position' used to work periodically. In 15, it never works: 2015 allows launches maximised.

Second: When replacing one loop with another, I often now get a 'division by zero' error. I can get around it by removing the loop completely, and loading a new loop, but changing loops is now considerably more awkward than before.

Third, saving the file no longer saves VSTis properly. Every time I re-open a file, the VSTi I've saved has reverted to Sample-Tank! This never happened in 14.

I wonder if these are bugs which could be easily fixed, pending the Cerio-revise many of us dream of ?

Happy Xmas & NY15 to all. Especially to all at PG. Best - Andy
Great Andy. So it's definitely not just me!
I have BIAB 2015. I don't have your problem, #6, with the Real Drum picker window. Mine shows the whole window in a smaller space than yours. More important, (to me), than any of your "bugs", would be the ability to enter more than 4 chords in a bar. There are quite a few songs, (ballads), where 8 chords to the bar would be great. Ray
Originally Posted By: raymb1
I have BIAB 2015. I don't have your problem, #6, with the Real Drum picker window. Mine shows the whole window in a smaller space than yours.

That's because you have a big screen working at a very high resolution.

More important, (to me), than any of your "bugs", would be the ability to enter more than 4 chords in a bar. There are quite a few songs, (ballads), where 8 chords to the bar would be great. Ray

Yes, that would be great.
If #6 is no problem for me, then it's your PC that's inadequate, not BIAB. I don't have a huge screen. My laptop is only 15.5". The specs are below. Ray
May I ask you what's the resolution you're using?
If #6 is no problem for me, then it's your PC that's inadequate, not BIAB. I don't have a huge screen. My laptop is only 15.5". The specs are below. Ray

Hi Ray
I always appreciate and respect your input. A 15.5" laptop is actually a fair size display. I'm also interested in the screen resolution you use (not shown in your specs).

Regards

Trevor
Agreed, #6 is not a problem, however the window is NOT sizable.

My DAW is 1920 x 1200 (26 inches), I can see the whole picker window, but If I size it down, it does hide content and does not provide a scroll bar to see the hidden content.

So lets keep this on the list.
1920 x 1080 I can make the window larger or smaller. Smaller will hide some of the content though.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone. Ray
1920 x 1080 I can make the window larger or smaller. Smaller will hide some of the content though.

I'm using 1366x768, which is the highest resolution supported by many 15.6'' laptops being sold nowadays (like mine).
Please, see p. 20.
Another bug:

Prefs\OutputCh\Output Chords? (Check box)

Checking this box does not save.

It worked up until 2013. It has not worked since the introduction of 2014.
A nasty bug if you use the TC Helicon in live performance without remembering to manually check this every time the program is opened.

Don
Originally Posted By: DonMusic
Another bug:

Prefs\OutputCh\Output Chords? (Check box)

Checking this box does not save.

Don

Thanks for this catch. I was very surprised since in years past this was a big feature for me and it used to keep the setting.

Regarding the entire contents of this thread. This is much the reason I am keeping my wallet in my pocket this year. Not the only reason, but a main one.
+1 for #19 "we really don't need that enormous mixer right there all the time!" I suggest an option for just the transport window with options to select, start & stop a song.
"but If I size it down, it does hind content and does not provide a scroll bar to see the hidden content"

Sadly a lot of my content is HIND content!
+1 for #23, specifically this:

Quote:
and the scroll between chords pages itself (when the cursor reaches the last chord of the page) is just too abrupt

If you're playing live, unless you've memorized the progression, you'll not see the next set of chords until the first chord of the next page has already played.

Simply showing the next set of four chords (below the current row) would be an excellent fix.

Thanks!

Signed,

(a guy who develops .NET apps for 20th Century Fox for a living :))
Anomalies in the chord sheet window - been there for ages.

I have the color scheme Allanah (beige) loaded - but this applies to any color scheme.

Take a group of eight bars drag and select the bars go black.
Play the selection from the first bar.

As you do this the 5th bar (!), then the sixth, seventh and finally the eighth go beige.

When you get to the fourth bar (which is beige) as it sounds it turns black and this proceeds like this until the first bar is then reached

Second time around the same happens

The bar that is selected becomes half black and half beige.

The bar being played is grey

It such a mess to the eyes you have to accustom yourself to ignore it.

Its good to have bold visual markers, but they should make sense
39: ish

Please make it possible to loop a section simply by clicking the loop button - another thing that does not do what it says on the tin. I don't see the need for all the two click clutter

Z
40(-ish): Notation jumps all over the place when editing

Sometimes, when editing a note, and selecting Cancel, the song cursor position jumps to a different bar, not within the current 'view'.

It happens when the scroll bar at bottom has been used to navigate to the bar to be edited. After editing, sometimes the song jumps to the end, sometime to the start, sometimes to the adjacent bars.

Steps to reproduce:
1: Place a MST in the bass part
2: In Notation Window, select Bass
3: Use the cursor slider arrow (A) to locate a bar in the middle of the song (this is the key point)
4: Edit a note, and select OK or Cancel (B)
5: Song jumps to a completely different bar
(Now, what was the other note in the bar that I needed to change???) Dang! What was the bar?

To make this more infuriating, I identified and reported this to PGM Support in December 2013, who confirmed and acknowledged the problem existed and said they would report it.

A year later, I've purchased the full set of upgrades, and these bugs haven't even been looked at. Why go to all the trouble to identify and report problems, prepare screen captures and identify steps to reproduce? They don't seem to even get attended to. Getting annoyed...

Attached picture 2014-12-27_00-06-29.jpg
Trevor, just a quick question. Is bar 70 within a Tag?
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Trevor, just a quick question. Is bar 70 within a Tag?

Hi Matt
Thanks for the question. No I don't believe it's in a Tag. It actually doesn't seem to matter what the song length is or if there is a Tag.

I just tried the following steps:

- Open the program, by default it will have 32 bars with 3 Choruses
- Create some notation on one of the tracks (I just chose to create a MST on the Bass, just to get some notes)
- Generate the song
- In the Notation Editor Window, enable Edit
- Scroll the horizontal scroll bar to any bar.
- Edit a note (Cancel or OK)
- Song now jumps to the Start, sometimes the End, Sometimes somewhere else. It should stay where the user selected.

(Best wishes for the season)
Trevor

Attached picture 2014-12-27_09-48-40.jpg
Attached picture 2014-12-27_09-49-45.jpg
Attached picture 2014-12-27_09-50-41.jpg
ChadL, go to Notation mode - Opt - Drop down menu to have no bars ahead, one bar ahead or 2 bars ahead. When the cursor hits the 4th bar,two new bars will show on the left, when the 4th barplays two more bars will fill up the line. Clear as mud, right? Look up "scroll ahead option" in the manual. Ray
I have been trying all day to copy and paste some bars, but BIAB keeps crashing - it simply dissappears (win7 64.

Basically I have a chord sequence of eight bars, I want to take it through some cycles, so I copy and paste it, then transpose it. I seem to be able to get to about five copies, but I want 12 in all, one for each key. If I go above about five sets of eight bars, the program just goes poof and dissappears when I press play.

Reloading does nothing it simply repeats the problem

Z
Since last update (414), Asio4All support has gone absolutely unusable.

Choosing this audio Driver from BIAB just crashes the program.

This means that I just can't use any recording functions within BIAB (wich I used to do as a practice routine)

Return to factory settings is not solving the problem.

Asio4All works flawlessly with any other audio program I have.

Really frustrating...
Originally Posted By: Cerio
Since last update (414), Asio4All support has gone absolutely unusable.

Choosing this audio Driver from BIAB just crashes the program.

This means that I just can't use any recording functions within BIAB (wich I used to do as a practice routine)

Return to factory settings is not solving the problem.

Asio4All works flawlessly with any other audio program I have.

Really frustrating...

Yes, I've noticed that ASIO4ALL now sometimes delivers significant static. To fix, just go to ASIO Drivers panel, change quality from Good to Good (essentially do nothing), then the audio quality is OK again (static is gone).

Never used to do this...

Attached picture 2015-01-09_13-14-11.jpg
41: Fix the missing graphics on the Piano Roll window

This is known to PGM since I have reported it directly to Support previously, and it was acknowledged in January 2014

It's also shown in this thread from March 2014

A lot of effort goes into correctly determining, validating and reporting these issues. Disappointingly, still unattended to in 2015:

Attached picture 2015-02-04_06-15-48.jpg
Attached picture 2015-02-04_06-16-35.jpg
Attached picture 2015-02-04_06-27-53.jpg
42. The startup time.
This problem has been reported many times, and has gone worst with the last years. I'm getting startup times of 75 seg!

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=246334&page=1

43. The Minimize Window problem
Sometimes, when you minimize the main BAIB window, it's impossible to get it maximized again. Sometimes, it just happen after some minutes, but unfortunately, from time to time you need to end BIAB through the Task Manager (losing all the work you've done) simply because there's no way of getting a response from the program after minimizing it.

44. The BIAB preventing Windows from shutting down
Many times, when you close your windows session with BIAB open, the program, instead of asking you if you want to save your work before shutting down the system, shows the Chord Builder window (?) and just prevents the system from shutting down
I think you need a new PC. Over the last 20 years the only problems I've experienced with BIAB have been caused by myself. #42- My BIAB boots up in 3 to 8 seconds. Faster than in BIAB 2014. Ray
I think you need a new PC. Over the last 20 years the only problems I've experienced with BIAB have been caused by myself. #42- My BIAB boots up in 3 to 8 seconds. Faster than in BIAB 2014. Ray

My PC is less than three years old, and runs flawlessly all kind of programs (many of them much more powerful than BIAB) without problems.

I've worked for several years as an IT technician and I really know how to tell a software problem from a hardware problem. Wich, in fact, is not very difficult in this case, since any kid with some familiarity in modern computing would immediately recognize several problems after working a little bit with BIAB.

On the other hand, if during the last 20 years of use the only problems you've experienced with BIAB were caused by yourself, that's because you're using BIAB in a very limited way, probably just writing a chord progression, choosing a style and pressing play. MANY bugs have been reported in this (and other) forum by MANY people, and only a couple of die hard fans here are constantly trying to deny the obvious fact that BIAB needs a lot bug fixing work.

ADD: There's nothing wrong with user-reported bugs, on the contrary, they are a great help for developers and an essential aspect of the software development process. In fact, many software companies have a dedicated Bug report forum in their web. There's no need to deny them.
>>> 42. The startup time.
This problem has been reported many times, and has gone worst with the last years. I'm getting startup times of 75 seg!
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=246334&page=1

A few other users had a similar problem, and found that it was due to an anti-virus program. These programs can block or slow the running of a program.

Here's an example message of someone that had the problem
"I tweaked my MSE antivurus to ignore the BIAB program (BBW.EXE) and that dramatically improved my time. Maybe look at something like that."

>> I've worked for several years as an IT technician and I really know how to tell a software problem from a hardware problem.
- Sure, but once you determine that it's a software problem, you need to determine what piece of software is causing the problem.
My c:\bb\data\FlashMessageLog.txt file reports that my bootup time is 4.7 seconds.
- my Bootup time in millseconds =4,777 [3/2/2015 6:51:54 PM]

Please post the top 20 lines of your c:\bb\data\FlashMessageLog.txt file in a message
Hi, Peter, nice you're reaading this thread.

Here are the first lines of FlashMessageLog.txt:

- Bootup time in millseconds =65,808 [02/03/2015 11:49:50]
- Time to Count Plugins in ms =749. Plugins counted=26 [02/03/2015 11:49:43]
**** New Session started at : 02/03/2015 11:49:43
- Bootup time in millseconds =7,695 [02/03/2015 5:06:37]
- Time to Count Plugins in ms =80. Plugins counted=26 [02/03/2015 5:06:37]
**** New Session started at : 02/03/2015 5:06:37
- Running Windows Notepad.exe to display file C:\BB\Data\FlashMessageLog.txt [02/03/2015 4:34:31]
- Bootup time in millseconds =8,194 [02/03/2015 4:29:50]
- Time to Count Plugins in ms =78. Plugins counted=26 [02/03/2015 4:29:49]
**** New Session started at : 02/03/2015 4:29:49
- Time to Count Plugins in ms =566. Plugins counted=26 [02/03/2015 4:29:22]
**** New Session started at : 02/03/2015 4:29:21
- Bootup time in millseconds =37,859 [02/03/2015 3:33:59]
- Time to Count Plugins in ms =218. Plugins counted=26 [02/03/2015 3:33:55]
**** New Session started at : 02/03/2015 3:33:55
- Bootup time in millseconds =76,705 [01/03/2015 23:54:53]
- Time to Count Plugins in ms =274. Plugins counted=26 [01/03/2015 23:54:47]
**** New Session started at : 01/03/2015 23:54:47
- Bootup time in millseconds =19,007 [24/02/2015 12:15:27]

I've just created an exclusion rule for BIAB in Kaspersky and will report the results here.
Hi Cerio
Thanks for the information. I use Norton Internet Security. I generally don't have long boot times, and haven't made any special exceptions in NIS for BiaB (as far as I know)

It will be great to get your results.

Thanks
Trev
I was also experiencing extremely long startup times for BIAB (sometimes about a minute). I just excluded BBW.EXE from my virus scanner, and BIAB now launches much, much more quickly.

I wonder if it's because the program does not "reside" in the registry, nor is in the Program Files folder, and so the virus scanner handles it differently.
>>> I just excluded BBW.EXE from my virus scanner, and BIAB now launches much, much more quickly.

Which virus scanner?
Hi, Peter -

I use Trend Micro Internet Security 2015 (it used to be called PC-Cillin). I've used it for probably about 20 years now and have yet to get a virus on my or my wife's computer.

My FlashMessageLog.txt was showing bootup times of 40,000 to 70,000 milliseconds before excluding BBW.EXE. The variance seems to be how long between launches (which I suspect is related to computer caching).

After excluding it, it launches in about 20,000 milliseconds right after a re-boot down to about 5,000 milliseconds for launch time. Plugin-read time is and was relatively insignificant.
Thanks John
Originally Posted By: PeterGannon
>>> I just excluded BBW.EXE from my virus scanner, and BIAB now launches much, much more quickly.

Which virus scanner?

Peter, I discovered a much faster BiaB launch when I excluded the BB folder in MS Essentials.
My program runs from an SSD, so I'm not unhappy with my start times except for the first one after a reboot, but I'll try this, Mario. Thanks.
Using Norton Internet Security 2015

Without excluding BBW.exe and BBW3.exe ~12,500mS
With excluding BBW.exe and BBW3.exe ~8,500mS
Before excluding in Avast:

- Bootup time in millseconds =28,878 [3/4/2015 5:25:27 PM]

Afar excluding in Avast

- Bootup time in millseconds =7,044 [3/4/2015 5:42:20 PM]

Originally Posted By: jazzmandan
Before excluding in Avast:

- Bootup time in millseconds =28,878 [3/4/2015 5:25:27 PM]

Afar excluding in Avast

- Bootup time in millseconds =7,044 [3/4/2015 5:42:20 PM]

Hi JMD, did you reboot the computer in between? First time starts tend to always be slower and subsequent starts on the same Windows session faster because of Windows caching.
After excluding BIAB:

- Bootup time in millseconds =60,384 [04/03/2015 18:56:16]
- Time to Count Plugins in ms =1,139. Plugins counted=26 [04/03/2015 18:56:04]
**** New Session started at : 04/03/2015 18:56:04
- Bootup time in millseconds =15,398 [03/03/2015 23:11:45]
- Time to Count Plugins in ms =94. Plugins counted=26 [03/03/2015 23:11:42]
**** New Session started at : 03/03/2015 23:11:42
- Bootup time in millseconds =8,148 [03/03/2015 20:12:48]
- Time to Count Plugins in ms =105. Plugins counted=26 [03/03/2015 20:12:47]
**** New Session started at : 03/03/2015 20:12:47
- Bootup time in millseconds =9,800 [03/03/2015 19:12:20]
- Time to Count Plugins in ms =100. Plugins counted=26 [03/03/2015 19:12:19]
**** New Session started at : 03/03/2015 19:12:19
- Bootup time in millseconds =8,483 [03/03/2015 16:25:25]
- Time to Count Plugins in ms =172. Plugins counted=26 [03/03/2015 16:25:23]
**** New Session started at : 03/03/2015 16:25:23
- Bootup time in millseconds =35,395 [03/03/2015 14:36:07]
- Time to Count Plugins in ms =733. Plugins counted=26 [03/03/2015 14:36:04]
**** New Session started at : 03/03/2015 14:36:04
- Bootup time in millseconds =7,459 [03/03/2015 13:13:11]
- Time to Count Plugins in ms =78. Plugins counted=26 [03/03/2015 13:13:10]
**** New Session started at : 03/03/2015 13:13:10
- Bootup time in millseconds =19,686 [03/03/2015 12:35:26]
- Time to Count Plugins in ms =117. Plugins counted=26 [03/03/2015 12:35:22]
**** New Session started at : 03/03/2015 12:35:22
- Bootup time in millseconds =110,232 [03/03/2015 10:48:14]
- Time to Count Plugins in ms =655. Plugins counted=26 [03/03/2015 10:48:08]
**** New Session started at : 03/03/2015 10:48:08

Using kasperspky Antivirus 2015 and BIAB 2015.415 here
Hmmmmm
A little bit of unexplained variation there.

A few more internal diagnostics might help to narrow down?
My boot-up times. The two high readings are when BIAB was opened for the first time of the day. Ray

Attached picture boot times.png
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack

Hi JMD, did you reboot the computer in between? First time starts tend to always be slower and subsequent starts on the same Windows session faster because of Windows caching.

Ya, you are right on that. This item (long and variable startup time) has been around for a very long time. I no longer pay any attention to it. It is just what it is.
45. The export video with tag endings bug.
If you export a video of a song with tag endings, the cursor won't follow the correct chords in the tag ending.

Example:
http://youtu.be/k9tlZcu7gS0 (min. 1'.47'')

46. The scroll problems in exported videos:
If you try to follow the on-screen chords in an exported video, you'll find that you can't read the next chords when the cursor reaches the top down of the screen.

Example:
http://youtu.be/3qnc-CgtQaY (min 1'10'')

Using the "Scroll Ahead" option doesn't solve the problem:

http://youtu.be/m-ChaexgShk (min 1'43'')
Open song e.g. "PopShining" Electric Guitar Solo with Praise & Worship band

erase guitar track (right click erase, erase MIDI too)

Save

close

Open

guitar track still there
48. Panning audio track doesn't work.
Paning audio track on the mixer has no effect at all. In fact, after pressing Play again, the slider goes automatically to center position.

49. DXi synth requiered, even if you're only using realtracks.
You need to install a DXi synth even if you don't use the MIDI part of the program at all. That means that, if for some obscure reason you can't configure a DXi within BIAB, you can't render any audio or video, because the program keeps asking for a DXi synth, even if your song uses realtracks exclusively.
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=291619#Post291619
50. The short cuts bug

Described here:
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=300600#Post300600
If you try to follow the on-screen chords in an exported video, you'll find that you can't read the next chords when the cursor reaches the top down of the screen.

Can you do "Edit" > "Unfold" first using the "Scroll Ahead" ?
Originally Posted By: solidrock

Can you do "Edit" > "Unfold" first using the "Scroll Ahead" ?

Yes, that workaround works, but its just that, a workaround. The problem is still there.
Also, the "repeat one chorus with no ending" bug where the last bar falls silent, unless you create an ending, then remove it.
A refresher of some program deficencies noted in the past. Hopefully, there is still time to address some of them before 2016 is released.
47. When you add a midi-track from another style and try to export that created track , this track will be deleted and is empty afterwards. When you freeze this track, you can export it.
48. The Soloist-editor doesn't work properly. A lot of Soloists don't react to the changing of the settings.
Copy and move tracks is quite buggy too. But that was already listed in the thread.
PG Music appears to be making a honest effort to fix bugs that users have identified. With that thought in mind I'm bumping a post that documents many user identified bugs.
This is a very helpful thread. Thanks
Originally Posted By: PeterGannon
This is a very helpful thread. Thanks

'nuff said.
© PG Music Forums