PG Music Home
It would be nice to have threads where (1) suspected program issue is identified; (2) other forum members can verify claim or add more information and (3) solution is reported including build number when the solution is software related.

Recently a thread was started where an issue (bug) originally reported more than twenty years ago was fixed in an update. Earlier this year several threads were bumped after Dr. Gannon mentioned he did not see the threads when they were first posted.

I understand things slipping through the cracks as priorities change and there are more things to do than there is time in the day.

Perhaps, once an issue is identified, the thread could be moved to the BETA forum until resolution. That way issues are not in the public eye as much but don't slip through the cracks.

Each user has a different way of accessing the many features of BiaB and RB so many times a solution exists but is not obvious. Other times, the software fails to perform as advertised. It is the latter that needs for an easy to maintain system of resolution to be developed.

These comments are presented for discussion, not to be thought of as final solutions but as entry points to be refined. I enjoy this software and everything it can do. I want it to be the very best it can be!
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
It would be nice to have threads where (1) suspected program issue is identified; (2) other forum members can verify claim or add more information and (3) solution is reported including build number when the solution is software related.

Recently a thread was started where an issue (bug) originally reported more than twenty years ago was fixed in an update. Earlier this year several threads were bumped after Dr. Gannon mentioned he did not see the threads when they were first posted.

I understand things slipping through the cracks as priorities change and there are more things to do than there is time in the day.

Perhaps, once an issue is identified, the thread could be moved to the BETA forum until resolution. That way issues are not in the public eye as much but don't slip through the cracks.

Each user has a different way of accessing the many features of BiaB and RB so many times a solution exists but is not obvious. Other times, the software fails to perform as advertised. It is the latter that needs for an easy to maintain system of resolution to be developed.

These comments are presented for discussion, not to be thought of as final solutions but as entry points to be refined. I enjoy this software and everything it can do. I want it to be the very best it can be!

This is a brilliant request!!!!

+1000000!
Jim, if ever there was a genius idea, this is it.

Many times it is frustrating for the users when problems remain unnoticed / not-fixed.

I definitely lend my total support. We all work hard to find and report issues - not to find fault - but with the absolute intention of bettering the system.

+1000
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Jim, if ever there was a genius idea, this is it.

Many times it is frustrating for the users when problems remain unnoticed / not-fixed.

I definitely lend my total support. We all work hard to find and report issues - not to find fault - but with the absolute intention of bettering the system.

+1000

PLUS another 1000 ! !
I could get behind this with conditions.

I wish I could cite a really good model from another vendor, but I can't. Can anyone else? This must be hard to do correctly, or everyone would be doing it.

Jim's suggestion to move this to the beta testing area is a good one. Info like this could be off-putting to potential buyers. Then, the database of reports should be moderated by someone at PG Music, if they are willing. Of course, they must already have their own such database. Sometimes we just need to know whether the report is a bug or a feature (and I'm not being facetious here; I've reported things that are perfectly clear to me but that PG Music has evaluated and chosen to do differently; I can accept that).

I think having read-only access to a database would make it possible for us more experienced users to answer questions that would reassure other users. We could say with authority that yes, that's been reported and acknowledged, or else proceed to examine it further before reporting it.
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
I could get behind this with conditions.

I wish I could cite a really good model from another vendor, but I can't. Can anyone else? This must be hard to do correctly, or everyone would be doing it.

No music software app squishes bugs faster than Reaper:
Reaper Bug Report Forum

But would require this forum also for quick and frequent revisions and updates:
Reaper Pre-Release Forum
Thanks. That looks pretty good (Reaper bug report forum) but I didn't see any indication of categorizing or indexing the reports, nor an indication that they were acknowledged or perhaps solved. At least there is a separate forum for bugs(or what people think may be bugs), instead of rolling these in with 'how to' questions as in the SONAR forums.

Of course, it's hard to argue with a system that you say works well.

Edit: upon further reading, I found a pretty good example. The Admin fixed the problem and either he or the OP appended FIXED to the thread title. Not bad, especially if the Admin did that. See this: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=178717
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley

Edit: upon further reading, I found a pretty good example. The Admin fixed the problem and either he or the OP appended FIXED to the thread title. Not bad, especially if the Admin did that. See this: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=178717

Exactly, that is what I was coming back to tell you. Almost every bug report has a couple responses. It will generally be from Ollie or Justin. These are the GUYS who run the show. This forum is not just for users but is a direct line to the programmers. Bugs get addressed quickly.
In the other forum I mentioned new revisions with fixes and updates come out almost daily!! And they get beta'ed on a continuous basis. It is actually very cool.
OK, that would be a good start.
Today (more like 10 years now) there are many systems which are more advanced and easy to use, for products with many users, than "bugs threads".
They include options for users to search bugs, submit features, vote for features, and see what is the status of them.
And I'm not talking about the bug/tasks system which is used internally by the company,
but about system which is opened to the end users.

Just few examples:
https://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/363186--new-ideas

http://feedback.assembla.com/forums/5433-feature-requests

Yes, there are many very good programs that can already do this.

Fogbugz is another that might be suitable
We keep track of reported bugs in the forum, and sent to support. We don't have anything more formal than that, such as way to track the bug that you've reported. Those are good ideas. WE will look into them.
Originally Posted By: PeterGannon
We keep track of reported bugs in the forum, and sent to support. We don't have anything more formal than that, such as way to track the bug that you've reported. Those are good ideas. WE will look into them.

Dr. Gannon,

Thank you for reading and responding to this post. Many issues have been reported in this forum and then fixed in a following update. It has been gratifying to receive so many updates this year that relate directly to issues first identified and reported in this forum.
Bump
Bump
This has been discussed in the past year with the developers. I hope it comes to pass.
© PG Music Forums