PG Music Home
Posted By: John-Luke Soloing tracks within the Stylepicker - 02/12/17 02:25 PM
Command 'Play Using Current Chordsheet for Song'.

When we are searching for an adequate style for a given song, it would be nice, in the stylepicker window, to be able to solo a track in order to carefully listen to the track.
So we will be able to consider if it matches or not what we are looking for. Up to now, we have to load the style, then close the Stylepicker window, and mute/solo some tracks in the mixer. Repeat the operation for each style we want to test.

Another option would allow to select two or more tracks at the same time.
For examples :
a) Drums and Bass to check the groove.
b) Guitar and piano to check how they are complementary for the song.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Soloing tracks within the Stylepicker - 02/12/17 04:43 PM
A useful idea.
+1
Oh, yes. I've wanted this for years.

+1
I do this all the time and I'm missing something. My process is to enter my chords on the main page. Either enable the Style or wait for the prompt when I select a style, doesn't matter -

Open the Stylepicker and select the first style I want to audition.
I set the tempo to match the song I've entered chords to and hit the play button to play the current chord sheet song.

Once the song begins to play, if I want to mute tracks, balance volume between tracks or solo tracks,

I hit the cancel button at the bottom of the Stylepicker page and the screen minimizes but the song continues to play -

I Proceed to mute, balance and solo tracks as I wish. when I'm finished doing that, I select the Stylepicker button and the Stylepicker page maximizes and I can continue to review, select and audition styles. It is easy to complete 20-30 auditions in this manner in just a few minutes.

I'm not understanding how this wish would substantially speed up the process.

I'm not saying it should not be on the wish list, I'm just missing the benefit.

Charlie
Posted By: J. Larry Re: Soloing tracks within the Stylepicker - 02/14/17 02:14 AM
Like Charlie, I’m missing the point as well. I suppose everyone has their own work style. Before I sequence a song (chord chart), I have a general notion of the type of style, tempo, etc., that I want to use and how to present the song. It’s a simple process (for me) to quickly audition a few styles in Style Picker and make a selection for the song (to be). From that point, it’s an easy process to arrange the song, adjust the parts in the mixer, and save the tune. In my particular case, that’s all I want to do. Create and arrange songs for live performance.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Soloing tracks within the Stylepicker - 02/14/17 10:25 AM
I think the difference is that the StylePicker form is Modal. Once it has focus, no other controls work, including the mixer.

If it were Non-Modal, the mixer could be adjusted (including individual volumes levels, ability to mute instruments etc), without having to close the StylePicker first.
I think I get it. I found I could replicate 'modal' operation the way Trevor describes by working from a split screen between the two pages as shown below.

My workflow is to toggle between the two screens. Full function from both screens that way. So if my purpose is to continue to look for styles to audition, I view the Stylepicker. But at the same time, the current style that I've selected is still playing and available to tweak and experiment.

To work with the mixer or chord chart, I just minimize the Stylepicker screen and the chord sheet and mixer are displayed and I have access to every function as usual. I can change chords, tempo, key on the chord chart and I can solo, freeze, change volume and pan, generate tracks, add and delete instruments as usual.

I can do this all day long and nothing permanently changes with my work until and unless I save my project.

I deleted two posts with screen grabs because they became irrelevant when I was able to replicate the modal issue.

Charlie

Attached picture split screen.JPG
© PG Music Forums