PG Music Home
Posted By: mrgeeze more precision on chord placement - 09/14/17 10:39 AM
Perhaps this has already been requested.

It would be great to place chords at a higher resolution than quarter notes (assume 4/4 for the discussion).

1/8 notes would be a great help.
Posted By: MarioD Re: more precision on chord placement - 09/14/17 10:46 AM
A BIG +1
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: more precision on chord placement - 09/14/17 11:00 AM
Just to clarify, if you are asking for more than four chords per bar, then +1. This is perhaps the oldest Wishlist request, and Mario's use of bold is understated.

But you used the words "place" and "resolution". If you are asking to place a chord on other than a quarter note, then we already have that, by using a push of either 1/8 or 1/16 note value.
Posted By: jford Re: more precision on chord placement - 09/14/17 11:40 AM
I really don't understand why they can't do this. It's just simple math and then overlaying a new grid interface to support 8 or 16 divisions per bar. All old songs should load (because those divisions would still be supported), but the new engine just needs to be able to create new arrangements on the 8th or 16th note divisions (which is available anyway, because pushes work).

I get that new files created under that interface won't work with older versions of BIAB, but all old content should work fine. That may be an umbilical cord they'll just need to cut to move forward.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: more precision on chord placement - 09/14/17 11:51 AM
More than 1/4 note chord resolution (more than 4 chords per bar) is just simply so long overdue, and a fundamental requirement of a quality music program. I wish that would be available, but I'm not sure that the existing framework of BiaB would allow it without presenting the developers with significant challenges to deliver such a feature.

But, we can only hope.

Posted By: mrgeeze Re: more precision on chord placement - 09/14/17 12:39 PM
to be clear, i am talking about more chords per bar, not pushes.
in the case of 4/4 that would be more than 4.
eighths would be great, 16ths better still (certainly if you wanna get funky).

Over the years PG Music certainly has delivered a wealth of features since I purchased my first copy on 5.25" diskettes.

Given all the long standing requests, one would think we'd have it by now.

But that's just my $.02.. or, today only, in Canadian $.024.
Posted By: raymb1 Re: more precision on chord placement - 09/14/17 02:35 PM
Like Matt said, more than 4 chords per bar has been on the wish list for many years. Notes Norton has styles available that will let you put 8 chords to the bar. Check him out here: http://www.nortonmusic.com/
Posted By: jford Re: more precision on chord placement - 09/14/17 03:01 PM
While Bob Norton's styles (whic I use quite a bit) are adjusted tempo-wise to work by spreading each measure over two bars and doubling the tempo, they are strictly MIDI only and won't work with RealTracks or RealDrums. And while it will sound fine when you play it back, any notation printout will not cleanly reflect the song arrangement. And you are limited to only those handful of styles to do this.

The more elegant solution is to support 8 or 16 chord slots per bar natively.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: more precision on chord placement - 09/14/17 09:50 PM
Thanks for clarifying, MrGeeze.

With the limitations John Ford mentioned, check out Notes Norton's expanded styles.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: more precision on chord placement - 09/15/17 06:13 PM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
....I'm not sure that the existing framework of BiaB would allow it without presenting the developers with significant challenges to deliver such a feature.

But, we can only hope.

Yes I think that maybe the case also ???

I know in RapidComposer I can place a chord at whatever resolution I have snap set to.

Attached picture RC_Chords_Beat.jpg
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: more precision on chord placement - 09/15/17 06:31 PM
I think it would be relatively straightforward with MIDI, and probably should have been done way back when.
However, I think it's RealTracks that would present the problem. I'm not sure of the recording technique (as far as timing each phrasing goes), but I somehow guess it will go right back to the actual artists recording if this was to be changed.
Posted By: raymb1 Re: more precision on chord placement - 09/15/17 07:37 PM
I don't see why PG shouldn't do what Notes has done.
Posted By: mrgeeze Re: more precision on chord placement - 09/16/17 11:53 AM
I have used the Norton styles and they do as advertised.

However, the more I use Real Tracks the less I use midi.

I'd say all my new arrangements use real tracks only.

I'm actually in the process of replacing existing midi biab/rb arrangements for real styles.

Given my gear they just sound better.
Posted By: Island Soul Re: more precision on chord placement - 09/23/17 02:05 PM
Peter, get this thing done!
Posted By: Trygve Larsen Re: more precision on chord placement - 09/26/17 04:37 AM
+1
© PG Music Forums