PG Music Home
Posted By: Aurelio Biz StylePicker fixed tempo - 12/09/17 07:27 AM
I use the StylePicker a lot, mainly the feature "Play Using Current Chordsheet for Song". I would like an option to fix the tempo field ("t=") so that I could have the tempo of my actual song fixed for all Styles. Thanks!
Posted By: Tony Wright Re: StylePicker fixed tempo - 12/13/17 10:22 PM
Originally Posted By: abif
I use the StylePicker a lot, mainly the feature "Play Using Current Chordsheet for Song". I would like an option to fix the tempo field ("t=") so that I could have the tempo of my actual song fixed for all Styles. Thanks!

I agree and have asked for this several times.

The "play using current chordsheet" should NOT change the tempo from what I have already entered for the song for which I am auditioning styles.
By the time I start auditioning I have already entered all the chords and decided on repeats and tempo etc. In other words the song is almost finished apart from the final style selection. It is not helpful if the Stylepicker keeps using it's own tempo for each style and also has the cheek to actually alter the tempo of my carefully composed song on the chordsheet.

At least there should be a button "Do not change tempo of chordsheet" or a way of fixing a specific tempo as suggested.

Tony
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: StylePicker fixed tempo - 12/13/17 11:20 PM
I recommend a choice as an option. I agree with the need to audition a style at your song’s tempo. I can also see a possibility of artifacts in the sound if your song’s tempo is far from the intended tempo range of the tracks in a style.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: StylePicker fixed tempo - 12/14/17 12:02 AM
Good advice above that RealTracks work best in a specific tempo range, and you are likely to witness issues (artifacts) if that range is exceeded.

Perhaps a checkbox that states 'Play only at my song's tempo'

The information memo states the preferred tempo range:
e.g. "Tempo=65 (55-80)"
Posted By: Dave Re: StylePicker fixed tempo - 12/15/17 09:59 AM
I am not yet at 2018, but it seems to me that if you are auditioning a style, and for whatever reason it doesn't sound right, you probably have the wrong style,

I do think that the style picker should use your tempo as the default, otherwise the audition is invalid. It could, I guess have a pop-up stating the tempo is out of range, and ask if you want to proceed.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: StylePicker fixed tempo - 12/15/17 11:02 AM
Yes, that would work, as would several suggestions here. You are correct, auditioning at the wrong tempo has a lot less meaning. This is a good idea in this thread.
Posted By: John-Luke Re: StylePicker fixed tempo - 12/15/17 03:45 PM
+1 for the idea.
Posted By: Icelander Re: StylePicker fixed tempo - 12/16/17 01:50 PM
+1 for the concept AND the proposed modifications - 'user controlled' practically always gets my plus anyway, but there it is wink
Posted By: Dave Re: StylePicker fixed tempo - 03/03/18 01:37 PM
Buried deep in the BIAB defaults is the solution.
When you select a style, at the bottom of the screen is a button labeled ACTION. One of the sub-menus is Set Dialog Options.
There are two check boxes that probably should be unchecked - Always Change Tempo to Best Tempo... and Change 4-bar Preview Tempo to best tempo for style.

It looks like these will honour the songs tempo rather than the style tempo.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: StylePicker fixed tempo - 03/03/18 04:31 PM
Oh, c'mon - you actually read the submenu choices? How fair is that? smile

Nice going!!

I checked and the default appears to be to have the Always Change box UNchecked, but the 4-bar preview IS checked. This would seem to be a contradiction, but I'll experiment.

Well done, Dave.

EDIT: I just tested. It worked beautifully. Most especially, it shows how ridiculous a style will sound if the tempo is way off.

I did notice that BIAB didn't prompt me to save the song with the new (bad choice) style before exiting. I'll test and report that.

Posted By: Aurelio Biz Re: StylePicker fixed tempo - 03/03/18 06:31 PM
Wow Dave, thanks a lot! This saved my day, my year, my life! But what a hidden checkboxes deep in the sea of submenus.
Posted By: Dave Re: StylePicker fixed tempo - 03/04/18 12:10 PM
It makes you wonder if the folks in PGMusic even know about these options. It's such a simple but buried answer but someone from PGMusic should have replied to this thread.
All along we were thinking that BIAB neede to be changed, but the answer was already there.
Come on PGMusic, it's your product, give us a clue once in a while.
© PG Music Forums