PG Music Home
Posted By: pchurchfield Less cryptic style names. - 12/20/17 09:58 AM
I realize that many of the long time users don't have a problem with the cryptic names because there is actually meaning embedded in them. But why not just call them what they are in plain English? Underscores and strings of ZZZZZ's are cryptic. And many of the names still carry the short-names that they had back in the beginning. Maybe a way to turn toggle between the old names that everyone is attached to and the clearer name would be a nice compromise.
Posted By: jford Re: Less cryptic style names. - 12/20/17 01:49 PM
Actually, many of the long time users would love to have long file names for styles and have reiterated this wish for many many years now. It just hasn't happened.
Posted By: pchurchfield Re: Less cryptic style names. - 12/20/17 03:30 PM
Thanks for the feedback John!

I just upgraded from 2014 to 2018 UltraPAK and wading through all of these styles is already such a daunting task. I love that there are so many to choose from but ever since I upgraded, I haven't hardly created any music. I've been too busy listening to all of these awesome styles and songs. I just wish they were a little easier to read and organize. So, that I don't always get lost doing the same thing.

In the past I have avoided biab because it always consumed all of my music making time. I usually have 4 hours Saturday and Sunday morning to create music. Lately I haven't done much creating. I will figure it out though. It's just option fatigue on steroids. I love the new styles and songs though. I am just anxious and don't have enough playtime. Maybe over my Christmas break (4 day weekend) smile
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Less cryptic style names. - 12/20/17 03:49 PM
I think it comes from an old DOS 8.3 file naming convention that, well, simply continued to be used.
There are long style names available also in the StylePicker, but this 8.3 naming convention is quite obsolete and it would have been beneficial to have disposed of it long ago (IMHO).
Posted By: Icelander Re: Less cryptic style names. - 12/25/17 02:46 PM
Quite right Mr. VT, it's the old DOS relic at work here still smirk

I think what may by now be the main hurdle in mending this, is how deep that hole has become (as it were), for I'm sure the notion of backtracking the thousands of already existing styles for some "proper" renaming is a daunting task indeed.
© PG Music Forums