PG Music Home
Posted By: Westside Steve Hey dr. Gannon Sonar? - 12/28/17 08:08 PM
As everyone probably knows Gibson, who is having all sorts of troubles, has a banded Cakewalk sonar a Daw that many of us use in love. I have no idea what kind of arrangements they would want to sell but it would seem an excellent fit to the PG music stable of programs.
WSS
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Hey dr. Gannon Sonar? - 12/28/17 10:25 PM
Probably could also pick it up for a song grin grin grin
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Hey dr. Gannon Sonar? - 12/28/17 10:30 PM
Cakewalk's Music Creator consumer DAW has been available on the PG Music website for a long time. In fact, Music Creator 7 is still offered +++ HERE +++ .

The boxed highlight on the About web page convinces me PG Music was more interested in the TTS-1 software based sound module than the actual DAW. Perhaps it would be easier and less expensive to acquire just the TTS-1.

NAMM 2018 is less than a month away. If PG Music has a booth or visits again this year there might be some opportunities for discussion.
Posted By: Teunis Re: Hey dr. Gannon Sonar? - 12/28/17 11:52 PM
Would be nice. Lately (really since Gibsons take over and subsequent apparent lack of interest in Sonar) I have been spending more time and money on BB but still use Sonar to finish my tracks. I do find Sonar much easier to use than RealBand but then again I have spent considerably more time and study on Sonar. There are a number of books out on all aspects of Sonar and included plugins.

I think Sonar would be an excellent addition to the PG stable.

Tony
Posted By: MarioD Re: Hey dr. Gannon Sonar? - 12/29/17 12:09 AM
Getting Sonar may be Ok BUT are you willing to pay $300-$400 for a DAW? That is what good DAWs like Sonar, Cubase, Studio One, etc are going for.

I would much rather PGMusic keep improving BiaB, including going to 64 bit and opening up all 16 MIDI channels. YMMV
Posted By: Teunis Re: Hey dr. Gannon Sonar? - 12/29/17 12:19 AM
I would have much more invested in Sonar than $400 by the time one includes a few plugins say Melodyne Editor, TH3 and TH2, Addictive Keys, Addictive Drums to mention a few. Then add some compressors, the added features in the Sonar ProChannel you come over $1000 easy. That is why I had to limit what I maintain since retiring.

The good thing is some of the plugins I can use in BB. But then again using RealTracks there is much less use for them.

Tony
Posted By: jford Re: Hey dr. Gannon Sonar? - 12/29/17 01:13 PM
If I were a betting man (I'm not), I would bet that Gibson would rather let Sonar (and the other Cakewalk products) die on the vine than let it go to someone else "for a song". And if your programmers are not familiar with the code, well, that's a problem.

I also suspect that as long as the Cakewalk site is still open for authentication, they're not going to let it go unless it's a package deal to transfer the whole shebang.

But it would be nice if they could get their hands on the TTS-1

My $0.02 worth and losing value every day.
Posted By: Westside Steve Re: Hey dr. Gannon Sonar? - 12/29/17 04:13 PM
First of all if Gibson isn't willing to deal then that's that. And it doesn't matter what Cubase sells for this would be part of band-in-a-box. They were already selling sonar Platinum with lifetime updates for a hundred bucks or something . A top-notch digital audio workstation.. Sonar and RealTracs are a symbiotic match made in heaven. I don't know how costly the I T end would be but I can't imagine that somebody in Boston isn't looking for a job and it could be done online pretty easily.
WSS
Posted By: musiclover Re: Hey dr. Gannon Sonar? - 01/02/18 09:49 AM
My wish would be for PG simply to get a licence to use Sonar Home Studio, I got it free in computer music magazine, seems a very capable DAW, and it does come with the TTS-1.

Then if PG could somehow manage to get realtrack/realdrum regeneration done within it, that would be a great bonus.

Realband is ok and is what it is, but come on, who in this day and age wants a DAW without basic editing tools, such as split, mute part of track, and the mixer GUI is terrible so much wasted space on that screen.

© PG Music Forums