PG Music Home
Posted By: The Soundsmith Shots and holds for ALL chord options - 01/04/18 02:35 PM
Piano may have many options, but I play my own piano track.

Almost every track I create uses Oliver Gannon's guitar tracks, great stuff! But I need a full range of shots and holds for more complex chords (flat 9, augs, almost EVERY chord offers a 7th, a 6th and a #5, one version only and no complex changes.

These are vital to serious composition, please ask Mr. Gannon to reprise his work and fill out the options.

Granted, I do not need an F7b5b9 for my hard-rock shuffles, but for the Great American Songbook, these are everyday needs.

I have asked for this since 2014, BTW...
I think +1.

About Holds, there was a long discussion of this at one time, perhaps in response to an earlier post by you - I don't recall that part. But PG Music told us something like only major and minor chords could be relied on to work with holds on endings. I probably have oversimplified that, and I don't have a reference. Nevertheless I think you are correct that some chords will simply not hold.

And as a jazz composer, I do need F7(b5,b9), or F7alt, to be held in my songs.

About Shots, I don't have a problem as-is. What are you having trouble with?
Posted By: jford Re: Shots and holds for ALL chord options - 01/04/18 03:30 PM
The issue also is that, if you have a hold in BIAB, do you really want all the instruments ( guitar, piano, and strings track instruments) to all be playing all the same notes F-A-Cb-Eb (F7b5) simultaneously.
Posted By: Cerio Re: Shots and holds for ALL chord options - 01/04/18 03:34 PM
Originally Posted By: The Soundsmith

These are vital to serious composition

Agree, +1
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Shots and holds for ALL chord options - 01/04/18 03:38 PM
Adding another vote of support.
+1
Originally Posted By: jford
The issue also is that, if you have a hold in BIAB, do you really want all the instruments ( guitar, piano, and strings track instruments) to all be playing all the same notes F-A-Cb-Eb (F7b5) simultaneously.

I normally do. I used to, with all MIDI. But you raise an interesting point: it would be nice to have options.
Posted By: John-Luke Re: Shots and holds for ALL chord options - 01/04/18 04:26 PM
"Shots and holds for ALL chord options"

More than 100 types of chords are allowed in BIAB.

Not sure you will get shots and holds for ALL that stuff...

So some choices will have to be done by somebody ...
First-thanks guys, for the votes of support. John Luke, you are right that there are many options to cover. But this is a forum, I tried to simplify the header.

The need is for two things: more voicing choices on the existing shots/holds, and additional shots and holds for more advanced chords.In truth, it doesn't need to be a lot, a dozen should be fine, if each has three voicing/performance selections.

Major and minor 6ths and 7ths and the b9/b5 and dim/half-dim options two or three each by the artist would be an enormous asset.

As it is, I can live with muting a guitar shot if the bass is solid, but holds I have to reconstruct in my DAW. Thanks for joining in.
+1
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Shots and holds for ALL chord options - 01/18/18 01:31 PM
+1. David, thanks for revisiting the request. The discussion is interesting. It seems that there is always the desire for more options.
Posted By: John Payne Re: Shots and holds for ALL chord options - 01/18/18 10:16 PM
+1
Posted By: Petimar Re: Shots and holds for ALL chord options - 01/21/18 12:05 AM
+1 me 2!
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Shots and holds for ALL chord options - 03/20/18 10:49 PM
Originally Posted By: The Soundsmith
P......Almost every track I create uses Oliver Gannon's guitar tracks, great stuff! But I need a full range of shots and holds for more complex chords (flat 9, augs, almost EVERY chord offers a 7th, a 6th and a #5, one version only and no complex changes....

You can make any chord hold/shot for Oliver's guitar using the Free Archtop Guitar for RealTrack Jazz Electric Guitar (27)

In this video Oliver is playing then Down Town is played with the Sforzando Archtop in the midi track under.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6krkobu3yb65wsr/RealTrack-ShinyGuitar.mp4?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6krkobu3yb65wsr/RealTrack-ShinyGuitar.mp4?dl=1

In a midi track load Sforzando and in the piano roll where the shot or hold is just create whatever chord you like, draw long notes for a hold and short notes for a shot and the Sforzando Archtop vst will play it as if it's Oliver himself, just set to F5 > mute Oliver's RT Archtop where the holds or shots are played by the vst.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Shots and holds for ALL chord options - 03/21/18 04:39 PM
Pipline,

That's pretty amazing. You never quit coming up with great ideas and workarounds.
Posted By: zedd Re: Shots and holds for ALL chord options - 04/16/18 09:11 PM
I will add what I thought this wish list item was, but wasn't...

I would also really like to better bar control for shots and holds, so that we could command ALL bars (or selected bars) to hold their chords in one quick and simple step (e.g. if you just wanted a strumming guitar to execute a single strum on each bar for a simpler accompaniment which you could double with the same RealTrack without the holds for more beef).

It would be such a time saver not to have to set up each hold individually. Very time consuming as it is presently.
Hi Zedd,

This is mostly already possible. smile

Look for the "Held' checkbox in the RealTracks Picker, it's near the top-right, near the Bluesy, Simpler, and Direct Input checkboxes.

If you check that box when choosing a RealTrack, it'll hold every chord. This won't tell it to play a hold on each bar though, unless you enter one chord per bar.

Thanks
Kent
PG Music
Just saw this. A bit of a PITA, but if I can get it to work, very cool. Thanks, Pipeline.
In fact, I already have G-Player and lots of giutars - Bardstown Archtop, Worra's, Bolder Sounds - the idea of dropping in a midi chord when needed is genius... (And less work that all the conversions.)
© PG Music Forums