PG Music Home
Posted By: TerryB Read Drum Control - 07/14/18 06:31 PM
Not sure how you would do this but it would be great if we had more control of the drum mix within real drums. Not that they are not recorded well it is just some times there are certain drums you want to de-emphasize or emphasize. It would almost have to be a mixer of some type with each drum recorded separately. I know you can do midi and use a drum VST like EZ Drummer but that is just one more step.
Thanks,
Terry
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Read Drum Control - 07/14/18 10:00 PM
Yes, this is one of the most popular requests.

You could consider editing the post title to Real instead of Read; it might catch more attention.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Real Drum Control - 07/15/18 01:40 AM
Yes, they need to be in stems to adjust the individual levels, there are lot of multichannel audio formats out there now compressed and uncompressed.
If you look at UJAM Virtual Drummer it is the recordings of live real drums being played by a session player same as RealDrums but gives you individual level control as well as GM compatibility to add your own custom fills, rolls, riffs or solos to the real playing of the drummer.
Biab RealBand needs this !

https://www.ujam.com/solid/
https://www.ujam.com/heavy/
https://www.ujam.com/phat/
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Read Drum Control - 07/15/18 09:27 AM
A worthwhile and often asked request. I believe the current architecture of BiaB would not allow for it, but we should keep requesting, for sure.
+1
Posted By: MarioD Re: Read Drum Control - 07/15/18 12:08 PM
TerryB, a potential workaround is to copy the drums a few times to different tracks in a DAW, RB will work. Add an EQ to each track then adjust the EQ to increase a drum or cymbal and to decrease those you do not want emphasized in each track. This way you have a little more control over the kick, snare, cymbals etc.

Note that sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't depending on the RD.

Good luck.

Edit - I was just reading about multi-compressors. That is one compressor that has three to five compression bands. Thus you can compress the kick without compressing any other drum or cymbal. Here is a list of some free ones:

https://bedroomproducersblog.com/2010/10/14/bpb-freeware-studio-best-free-multiband-compressor-vst-plugins/

There are many others, just google/bing multi-compressor vst.

This might work on one RD track.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Read Drum Control - 07/15/18 12:17 PM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
A worthwhile and often asked request. I believe the current architecture of BiaB would not allow for it, but we should keep requesting, for sure.
+1

If PGMusic would open up all 16 tracks in BiaB, as I have suggested many times, then one could put any RT, RD, MIDI and/or SuperMIDI and any track. Thus you could have 5-9 individual drum tracks and still have plenty left for other RTs, etc.

In the past GM was the rage and BiaB was perfect for it with everything self-contained. However everything has changed since then and even PGMusic knows it by adding SFZ and the ability to add other VSTis and VSTs. Thus in my mind it is time for BiaB to change also.

Adding harmonies would require one to assign tracks. One would also have to assign a MIDI guitar controller to 6 different tracks. But in today's world that is very easy. YMMV
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Read Drum Control - 07/15/18 08:27 PM
Good points, Mario. This could work for MIDI.
However, if the RealDrums were recorded into a mix and not as individual tracks (each instrument mic'd separately) then separation is not really possible, except for EQ'ing.
Looking at some of the videos of the drums it appears that multiple mic's were used.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Read Drum Control - 07/15/18 11:07 PM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Good points, Mario. This could work for MIDI.
However, if the RealDrums were recorded into a mix and not as individual tracks (each instrument mic'd separately) then separation is not really possible, except for EQ'ing.
Looking at some of the videos of the drums it appears that multiple mic's were used.

I didn't make myself very clear and I apologize for that. My thought was that if all 16 channels were open then PGMusic could produce RD tracks for each drum or cymbal.

I agree that for those RDs that were recorded as a mix would not work in my scenario.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Read Drum Control - 07/16/18 01:45 AM
Certainly no need for an apology. Yes, I definitely understood exactly the situation you were describing smile
Are some of the channels used for stereo (i.e. two channels per track?)
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Real Drum Control - 07/17/18 04:37 AM
If it could read multi channel audio files it would be a step in the right direction.
In Reaper I can save drum stems to any number of multichannel formats un/compressed, I can then load them into one track, cut, copy, paste, glue, time stretch.... I can also output the channels to surround.
I can split the channel to separate tracks like RealBand does with multichannel audio.
I can set it to stereo out and pan/vol adjust each individual drum by dragging the drum channel color, below I have the kick (light green).
Just need some way to get more control of RealDrums.

Attached picture Reasurround_Drums.png
Attached picture Reasurround_Drums_adjust.gif
Posted By: Blues1952 Re: Read Drum Control - 07/20/18 09:13 AM
It seems to me that individual drum tracks would not be so difficult and usable in most formats. It would also open the door for drum replacement.
© PG Music Forums