PG Music Home
Posted By: nonchai Duplicate+Insert Bar-Range feature - 10/13/18 02:10 PM
Maybe this feature is hidden away somewhere but i can't find it

it would be extremely handy of one could highlight a range of selected bars - and then instruct BIAB to insert the same number of bars immediately after the selection and copy the exact chords in the original selection into the newly inserted bars.

"Duplicate" is normally the name for this sort of thing.

Posted By: MartinB Re: Duplicate Bar-Range feature - 10/13/18 02:53 PM
"Copy From .. To .." or "Alt C" is your ticket.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Duplicate Bar-Range feature - 10/13/18 03:12 PM
In the newer versions, Copy . From .. To is found in Edit, Copy Special.
Posted By: nonchai Re: Duplicate Bar-Range feature - 10/13/18 05:40 PM
Er no.

Jus tried that to verify this. What it does is OVERWRITE whatever is there on the target bar-range.

I want to INSERT exactly the same number of bars as in the highlighted range and then copy those changes into the newly inserted bars.

Now of course I could "just" do an insert manually first - but the whole point of my feature suggestion is to cut out that stage and thus simplify such a common task.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Duplicate+Insert Bar-Range feature - 10/13/18 05:44 PM
Did you tick the checkbox to Insert Bars at Destination?

You might also experiment with the Quick Copy method, using the keystroke K. This is from Help:

K Quick Copy Method

By simply typing "K" at a bar (followed by Enter key), you can instantly copy the last 8 bars to the current position. By adding additional keys in the K command, you can customize this shortcut (e.g. typing K12,3 would copy from bar 3 for 12 bars to current position). The current position is advanced to the bar beyond the copy. This speeds up song entry!

For example, if you're entering a song that has a repeating section of chords for 8 bars, type in the first 8 bars of chords and then move to bar 9, and then type: k <ENTER>.

The last 8 bars will be copied to bar 9-16, and the cursor will be moved to bar 17, so you're ready to continue with the tune. If you get to bar 25, and would like the chords from 1-8 to be copied to 25-32, type k,1 and this will copy 8 bars from bar 1 to bar 25.

The chords always get copied. The Melody, Soloist, and Lyrics also get copied if these items are set in the Copy Chords and / or Melody dialog (Edit | Copy Special | Copy From.. To..).
Posted By: nonchai Re: Duplicate+Insert Bar-Range feature - 10/13/18 05:54 PM
There IS NO "Insert Bars at Destination"

I'm on a Mac. !!!!

And as usual - us mac users are treated as second-class BIAB citizens having to beg for years - decades even - before feature-crumbs from your Windows tables get "generously" given to us lesser mortals.

I guess another 5 years of pestering might do it.

If i can bear the crashes.

No doubt PG Music will wait until release 2019 and then make me pay for this particular - OBVIOUS - trivial - feature addition.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Duplicate+Insert Bar-Range feature - 10/13/18 06:24 PM
You show no signature nor did you give any other indication you were asking about the Mac version.

But now that you know that the feature does exist on the Windows version, you know exactly what to ask for in the Mac version.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Duplicate+Insert Bar-Range feature - 10/13/18 06:47 PM
Hi nonchai,

With the Windows version of BIAB, if you left-click-and-hold on a part marker, and then drag to a new location and release the mouse button, BIAB will insert the bars from the part marker that was clicked on to the next part marker.

I don't know if it's available on the Mac or not. It would be worth trying.

With the above in mind, what I do is to make sure that the section I want to copy and insert has a part marker at the beginning and end of it. I then click on the first part marker for the section and drag and drop in the new location. I then remove the part markers if I don't want them.

Regards,
Noel

P.S. I've just had a look through the Mac manual for 2018 and it does refer to dragging part markers as a way of duplicating the chords that lie between part markers. It's on page 114.

Posted By: nonchai Re: Duplicate+Insert Bar-Range feature - 10/29/18 04:49 PM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi nonchai,

P.S. I've just had a look through the Mac manual for 2018 and it does refer to dragging part markers as a way of duplicating the chords that lie between part markers. It's on page 114.

It does. But having the other way to do it - namely highlighting a selection and duplicating it via context menu is still very desirable
© PG Music Forums