PG Music Home
Posted By: Pat Marr custom chords - 12/19/09 01:10 AM
It would be cool if you could create a custom chord, assign a name to it and use the name in the chord chart just like any of the other predefined chords.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: custom chords - 12/19/09 03:57 AM
It's not the same thing, but are you familiar with pgshortc.txt which allows you to define new chord names for existing supported chords? Take a look at how it works; it's interesting.
Posted By: alan S. Re: custom chords - 12/19/09 01:08 PM
Although you cant save them, i find i can make just about any chord i want by moving the piano part to the soloist channel and getting the soloist harmony to add a note at any bar.

You can also use the velocity command in the style maker to target a note globally in all the patterns and remove it giving you patterns without the 3rd, 7th or 5th. You need to kill all the macro patterns ones though, it wont work for those. you could reimport them though via a midi file and style wizard.

You can even kill all the notes except for C4 in the patterns and tick the riff pattern box for each. What this gives you is the chance to build up unusual chords on the sheet a note at a time; you get to control everything. Simply type C or whatever note you want in each bar and it gives you that note. Copy your chord part to the melody or soloist channel then start a new sheet for the next note again each time merging it with the existing notes you made before.

Hope this helps

Alan
Posted By: Leovigild Re: custom chords - 12/23/09 07:04 AM
Quote:

It's not the same thing, but are you familiar with pgshortc.txt which allows you to define new chord names for existing supported chords? Take a look at how it works; it's interesting.

I've long wanted to assemble a personal library of chords that I name myself using that feature, but can't get my head around the cryptic instructions in the BIAB manual.

Let's say I want to write the modal name C PHR (short for Phrygian) instead of C7susb9. Matt, can you show me step-by-step exactly how I would do that?
Posted By: jford Re: custom chords - 12/23/09 03:51 PM
The shortcuts just let you enter chords the way you want to (usually to shorten the name of the chord, so you don't have to type so much); however, it will appear in the chord grid according to what it actually is.

So, you could have a short cut called CPHR, but it will still show up as C7susb9 in the chord grid (if that's even a supported chord; I don't know). You can't create new chords; you can only use the chords BIAB knows and understands. The chord builder lists what's available.
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: custom chords - 12/23/09 06:34 PM
But Jooooohhn! I wanna C8aux#@&sus to the power of 2 with a dangling participle!
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: custom chords - 12/23/09 07:07 PM
Robh, that would be a C7odd.
Posted By: MartinB Re: custom chords - 12/23/09 07:17 PM
Custom Chords would be a boon. While it may be less trivial to have styles recognize custom chord symbols, printouts should be able to support custom chords easily. One particular an often requested chord entry would be -> N.C.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: custom chords - 12/23/09 07:20 PM
N.C. +1

pgshortc.txt says it is there, but I can't get it to work:

[Email]NC@C.[/Email] no chord

EDIT - that's not a link; the forum software just thinks it is
Posted By: jford Re: custom chords - 12/23/09 07:34 PM
I have asked for N.C. before; haven't seen it yet. +1

Also (dare I say it), a dim triad without the 7th. How hard can it be for the style interpreter (which fully understands a major 1-3-5 chord to just flat the 3 and 5)?
Posted By: MartinB Re: custom chords - 12/23/09 07:43 PM
Quote:

pgshortc.txt says it is there, but I can't get it to work:

[Email]NC@C.[/Email] no chord

Yup, it doesn't work and thus may safely be qualified as a bug.

This shorcut file is, however, s.th. rather different from having custom chords show up in the lead sheet. pgshortc.txt documents just shortcuts to otherwise predefined chord symbols. Entering NC should make C. show up - which it doesn't. It would be good to have N.C. show up on the lead sheet, or other custom chord symbols for that matter. Maybe BB2011 will provide some special mode particularly for notation and printouts ...
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: custom chords - 12/24/09 05:15 AM
I'm glad you concur that NC doesn't seem to work. Too bad.

Also, I didn't mean to imply that the existing shortcuts are a solution for custom chords, and I thought I said that. I just think it's an interesting technique that might be adaptable to custom chords if they become available in a future version.
Posted By: alan S. Re: custom chords - 12/24/09 06:16 AM
Right now i'd settle for some additions to the chord list. I seem to remember Peter saying it wasn't a hard thing to do but seeing as how that was several years ago, and there's been nothing new since, you could have fooled me!

here's a few suggestions for starters

susMaj7 (really need this one!)
maj7 add 6
maj7 add4
Maj7#9
mMaj7b5
mMaj9
mMaj7#5
7 add6
7 add4

Also better support for 13th chords other than a few specialized voicings and ones on macro notes.
How the program is supposed to add a 13th when there isnt an 'A' in the voicing is a mystery but thats effectively what it has to be able to do. Having the 'A' in there as standard in every pattern would affect every chord played and that wouldnt be desirable either. The same problem exists with #11 voicings. When do you ever get the 5th along with the #11 as you probably should.?

Regards

Alan
Posted By: Leovigild Re: custom chords - 12/24/09 09:00 AM
If you guys don't know the THIRD MODE OF THE MAJOR SCALE, well, that's pretty sad.

I except alan s., one of the very few cats on this forum who is concerned, like me, with the EXOTIC matter of chords in music.
Posted By: Mac Re: custom chords - 12/24/09 10:25 PM
Why wluld you make such an assumption?

Amd why do you feel the need to SHOUT?

I think these guys know the Phrygian, 'K?

And, why do you think you are "one of the very few cats on this forum who is concerned" about it?

I think that is an assumption.

Some of us may not be so concerned about it as to shout or attempt to demean others, though.

--Mac
© PG Music Forums