PG Music Home
Due to the high number of Realdrums / Realtracks / Styles, finding the specific groove you have in your head is often a difficult and time consuming task.
As somebody in the forums said a few days ago, the guys at Toontrack solved this problem brillantly when they introduced the Tap2Find feature in EZdrummer 2, a feature that allows to find grooves in the database, based on the basic drum pattern or rhythm you have in your head, and that works really, really well.

Here's it in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P54OMiUkEx0

I think a similar feature would be just great for finding the specific Realdrums, Styles and Realtracks in Band in a Box, and would dramatically enhance the user experience and ease of use.
+1.

The weak spot in the idea is what approach is the user given to tap out a pattern? RealDrums have RealCharts and RealCharts gives the midi data a utility program needs to make this happen.

Ideally I believe BiaB would need to have a utility that creates a repeating two bar loop. The user then taps assigned computer keyboard keys to enter hits into the two bar pattern. There would need to be a computer keyboard assignment for kick, snare, closed and open hi-hat and cymbal.

Real time tap entry of kick and snare should provide enough data for the utility to figure out time signature and tempo. The hi-hat and cymbal would help the utility define swing or even feel.

Once the user is satisfied with the tap entered pattern the utility could search through the RealDrum tracks to list tracks that meet the user defined pattern.

I would think any list of RealDrum tracks that matches time signature, tempo and feel would be short enough for a user to be able to audition the tracks on the list and pick one or more.
+1.
+1
You can have it so the users can create up the beat with midi playback then search the RealDrumChart database for matches.
It will also mute the drum track and play back midi in sync to give a preview:

Attached picture Beat-Finder.png
This is a great and intuitive way to find specific grooves.
+1
Same deal with Bass, EZBass has ways to find beats, by midi drop, tap2find and audio source.
Watch the first video Introduction to EZbass
https://www.groove3.com/tutorials/EZbass-Explained
Yes, although the concept was originally designed for drums, it can be perfectly adapted to bass, guitars, keyboards...

This video shows how tap2fin works for bass maybe better:

https://youtu.be/JspY3IfmW0I?list=PLo2KHWmTuFk50L8Zl-mj4BxZ-75BmZlkz&t=26
With BIAB 2023, can't this drum request already be done?

"Playable RealDrums that allow you to customize the RealDrums performances by adding your own notes."

If you already know what drum sounds you want to hear,
you should be able to set it up in (say) the Piano Roll window
and create your own "groove".

Wouldn't that be easier than trying to get BIAB to figure it out,
by you tapping in the rhythm?

Just asking.
LLOYD S
The requested feature is intended to find the exact realdrum / realtrack you're looking for.

Playable realtracks are designed to change some notes of your realdrum / realtrack once you've found it.
Yes, good ideas.

We plan on adding something along these lines.
A BIG +1
+1
+1

That EasyDrummer 3 video is very clear and easy to do. That would be very helpful!
+1 EZDrummer has indeed solved this problem for EZDrummer.
This approach may or may not be best for BiaB, only PGMusic can decide that.
That said, I would welcome this functionality in BiaB for finding candidate RealDrums however they choose to implement it.
I can extract all the RealDrum midi/chart and split them up into the variations as short midi clips that will work in EZDrummer but I can't really upload them for users, I have posted a script to do it all.
This could work in Biab by dropping a midi clip in or putting the pattern in you want:

[Linked Image]
+1 in 2024!
+1 in 2024!
Double +1 from me!!!

Jeff
A BIG +1
2024!
+ 1 for 2024
You're filtering options have definitely got better this year because you're intelligently applying them at least the time signature feels and tempo range.
A low hanging fruit would be to also automatically assign the genre (sense you already know it once the style is picked) narrowing down the selections for your next steps. This could easily be done in the next patch release.

You have a lot of competitors who have tried to solve this problem of the quickest way to find of something very specific in a large database.
Toontracks, XLN Addictive products, Captain Chords, and many sample libraries have all come up with very intuitive or highly organized methods that have beaten pure hierarchical approaches.

Here's a clue the customer knows what he wants because he can hear it in his head.
For rhythms that's a match a beat approach.
For rhythmic instruments that have pitch or melody, Genre is the first place to start.

You've also done a very good job of categorizing your instruments over the years and 9 times out of 10 the customer is looking for an alternative to for instance a Bass or a Guitar or a Saxophone, so preloading the instrument category is going to put them in a range of less than fifty things to view.

All food for thought.
You don't have to go out and reinvent the world to make it at least 2X better than it currently in the next patch release.

© PG Music Forums