PG Music Home
One of my favorite styles to use in BIAB is the blank style because, as name implies, it is completly blank. Because of this, I like to mix a bunch a different Real Tracks together of different styles to create a unique backing track. I did a backing track of Under the Sea where I used the Banjo, ClawHammer, Rhythm Oldtime Ev16 110 with the Bass, Baby, Guarjira Ev 120, Real Drum Salsa Bachata, and some funk horn real Real Tracks durring the chorus. It sounded amazing when I played it at a gig.
This is a great tip! I'll definitely pass it on to beginners who are looking for unique ways to start experimenting smile
Originally Posted By: Will B - PG Music
This is a great tip! I'll definitely pass it on to beginners who are looking for unique ways to start experimenting smile

I'd love to post it on here, if I could.
Upload it to dropbox (or somewhere) and post a link.
At the top of the Reply box is an icon to help post a link.

I also enjoy the many possible combinations and how they work so well together sometimes.

Attached picture linkey.jpg
Originally Posted By: rharv
Upload it to dropbox (or somewhere) and post a link.
At the top of the Reply box is an icon to help post a link.

I also enjoy the many possible combinations and how they work so well together sometimes.

Under The Sea

I want to let everyone on here know that is only for demonstration purposes only and I do want to get into any trouble with any one at all.
Listening to it right now with a big smile on my face. I like it. Do you load your songs to SoundClick, SoundCloud, iTunes or another site where the public can find them and listen to them? This is great!
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Listening to it right now with a big smile on my face. I like it. Do you load your songs to SoundClick, SoundCloud, iTunes or another site where the public can find them and listen to them? This is great!

No, I purposefully only make backing tracks with the intention of using them to preform. When I'm ready, I'm going to try to create some orginal songs and then release them on soundcloud and to the BIAB community. Right now, it's all about my gigs.
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle

Jim, I do plan on getting the license to Jamaica Farewell and doing a video cover of it and posting it.
What a great way to use the blank style! Thank you for your feedback Islansoul!
Hi

Last night I was trying to find the blank style. Where can I find it? I couldn't find it mentioned in help. Thanks.
Try typing Blank in the stylepicker filter box
Is there any advantage to starting with a blank style, instead of changing the RealTracks in an existing style?
Thanks Rharv. Hi Matt, Maybe I'm contrary. grin
No, it's a genuine question. What I want to know has to do with the effects of a style, if any, on RealTracks that are changed. It is my hypothesis that there is no effect.
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Is there any advantage to starting with a blank style, instead of changing the RealTracks in an existing style?

One advantage is that you are not locked into Band in a Box's select best "All" Real Tracks for a style, and I really like to use the generic Real Tracks sometimes. What I am referring to are the tracks that aren't meant to be in a specified genre like the 1118:Guitar, 12-String Acoustic, Strumming Ev085 for example. For me, I find that fitting in perfectly with the blank style because it doesn't match any pre made genre at all. I could use it in a pop tune, a rock tune, a blues tune, what every I want. So Matt, does that make sense?
One of the problems I'm finding is that I cannot get rid of midi tracks. They keep regenerating. I think this may be a bug in the 2017? Try removing a RealTrack, then removing a midi instrument which will appear and then erasing the track which says it will remove the midi data. Every time you regenerate the song, the midi track returns and plays along. With the blank track, you don't need to deal with this sort of thing. Sorry, I tried to do a quick video, but my audio screen recording is working atm.
lambada,

This would be better in it's own thread in BIAB (Windows). I anticipate that there will be more responses regarding this as it's probably easily not seen here.

I'll have to do some homework on what you're describing but I always thought that midi tracks are controlled by the Stylemaker and cannot be simply added and subtracted like Realtracks can be. (If I'm correctly understanding your issue.)

Regards,
Noel
Finally got my audio going. Here's a video. We can make a new topic if I'm not just being super dumb. eek My first half successful attempt at a UserTrack is in the background. laugh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgiU-d69SCw
lambada,

It's as mentioned above.

The 'Erase Track' command that you are using applies to Realtracks and MIDI Supertracks. It does not apply to standard MIDI tracks (as far as I'm aware, at least).

While not all do, some styles that involve Realtracks have underlying pre-Realtrack BIAB styles present. If that's the case, as in the situation you show, the only way to clear that style is to invoke Stylemaker (see the upper image below).

Once within Stylemaker, it's possible to remove all pattern programming for a particular track (see the lower image).

To see how this works...

1. Load in a MIDI-only style that doesn't include MIDI Supertracks.

2. Go into Stylemaker.

3. Save the style with a new name so that the original style is not overwritten (only 8 characters can be used).

4. Erase all the data for one of the BIAB tracks.

5. Save the style using the new name, exit and play.

Hope this helps,
Noel

Description: Accessing Stylemaker
Attached picture style maker 1 2017.JPG

Description: Deleting all programming for a BIAB track
Attached picture style maker 2 2017.JPG
Yes, correct, that fixed it and thanks for that. I should have figured that out myself. I guess what I'm suggesting is that there are all sorts of quirks like this in pre-existing styles that the blank styles don't present.
There is another method to delete and replace that MIDI track.
1-erase the MIDI track
2-freeze that track - you will be asked if you want to regenerate that track-say no
3-while frozen regenerate (may not be necessary but I do it to make sure the MIDI track is erased
4-while frozen pick a new MIDI/RT instrument if you want
5-while frozen regenerate (may not be necessary but I do it to make sure the MIDI track does not reset to the original voice- I know I'm paranoid.
6-unfreeze track
7-regenerate and the new sound will be there.

If you only want to erase the track stop at #3.
Can I please edit my original post? I would like to fix all the typos I made.
Posts can't be edited after a certain time, but I edited it for you.
You can disable a track for a song from the track menu for the instrument. (The radio buttons at the top).

You can't disable a track in the stylemaker. I should add that feature, so a style could easily have an instrument removed, without an underlying MIDI instrument playing.
It's provably a lot of work, but it seems to me that RealStyles should all really be based on the Blank style. That way, there is no underlying MIDI at all.
Originally Posted By: PeterGannon
You can't disable a track in the stylemaker. I should add that feature, so a style could easily have an instrument removed, without an underlying MIDI instrument playing.

Yes, please.
I second that Yes.
+1
Originally Posted By: PeterGannon
You can disable a track for a song from the track menu for the instrument. (The radio buttons at the top).

+1 from me.

Like Islansoul, I use blank styles as the base style from which to create new styles to eliminate the underlying midi that sometimes remains in an existing style.

Matt, moving back to your observation, I have always assumed that underlying midi patterns and pattern weight scales have an affect on RealTracks audio and midi Supertracks pattern selection, but I do not know that as fact. It makes sense as I understand the magic of BiaB but I doubt if we will ever know a definitive answer.
© PG Music Forums