PG Music Home
Posted By: Al-David Seemingly Unlimited Flexibility - 10/19/17 08:21 PM
I write and play in quite a few different genres. The flexibility BIAB gives me makes transpositions, from one genre to another, so easy and quick. A number of times I've created a piece, intending it to be a Smooth Jazz or Smooth RnB song. But when I generated the song, it just didn't work in the intended genre.

With a simple click of the Style Picker ... BAM! The song ended up as a pretty decent Pop song. I only had to replace a couple of instruments from the new style and alter a couple of chords.

Just for kicks, I changed nothing but the style (through Style Picker) and got some very interesting results, a couple of which ended up as new songs.

I love playing around with the styles - lots of fun! Sometimes the results is hilarious, sometimes interesting, sometimes just bad and often pretty cool! I spend several hours per week doing just that. You never know what might happen that never crossed your mind.

Have fun with your music!

Alan
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Seemingly Unlimited Flexibility - 10/20/17 02:10 AM
Great post, Alan.

I compose Brazilian and Latin jazz but I often mix genres in individual parts to make grooves no one has heard before. BIAB makes it easy to experiment.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Seemingly Unlimited Flexibility - 10/20/17 04:39 AM
Certainly the flexibility knows no bounds.

The versatility to change things around as your have done is probably understated.

It's good to see others enjoying the 'experimenting'.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Seemingly Unlimited Flexibility - 10/20/17 09:54 AM
Great post Alan!

Like you I have many songs that started with one style only to find another style worked better and/or lead me into a new direction.

I really like putting chords into BiaB then just playing with styles. It is not only fun but also very educational, at least to myself. I am playing genres now that I never even thought of playing before I got BiaB.

I believe that the only limitation of either choosing a BiaB style or mixing and blending BiaB styles is your imagination.

YMMV
Posted By: jford Re: Seemingly Unlimited Flexibility - 10/20/17 12:09 PM
I love taking a song and just running it through different styles in various genres. Often I hit upon one that is very different from the original, but I really like. Doesn't matter if anyone else likes it, I like it and enjoy listening to it that way.

Great post, Alan. Agree 100%.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Seemingly Unlimited Flexibility - 11/12/17 04:37 PM
One of my favorite projects was creating from "Erase The Miles", a bluegrass tune by Third Tyme Out, into a 'in the style of Elvis' backing track for a friend who's an amateur Elvis impersonator.

Very easy to do with BIAB...

Charlie
Posted By: Al-David Re: Seemingly Unlimited Flexibility - 11/14/17 04:32 PM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Great post, Alan.

I compose Brazilian and Latin jazz but I often mix genres in individual parts to make grooves no one has heard before. BIAB makes it easy to experiment.

Hi Matt,

Good to hear your take on this. I've not heard any of your compositions ... would love to. Is there a link I can go to hear your music? Di and I are big fans of Latin Jazz, well, most of the Latin genres and subgenres; but Latin Jazz is our favorite.

We do a fair amount of Latin compositions, but mostly Bossa. We find almost all the music from Brazil to be fun and exciting. Thanks for chiming in.

Alan

PS: If you recall, a couple of months ago I posted about Maj6th chords and you replied with a suggestion to use a 6-9 chord. I answered I didn't think it would work. I found that it will work some of the time if i extend the scale. other times, it would work for rhythm backing but not for chord leads. I was going to do a video but just never got to it. Long story why I didn't, but I won't bore you with it. Anyway, thanks for that 6-9 suggestion - it's given new life to some of the songs where I was stymied.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Seemingly Unlimited Flexibility - 11/14/17 04:35 PM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Certainly the flexibility knows no bounds.

The versatility to change things around as your have done is probably understated.

It's good to see others enjoying the 'experimenting'.

Hi VT,

Yes, I think that flexibility isn't employed as much as some folks might do so. It's given me so many ideas and the process is relatively simple. As I mentioned in my original post, it can be a lot of fun - sometimes very rewarding.

Keep putting out that goods VT music, my friend!

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Seemingly Unlimited Flexibility - 11/14/17 04:37 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Great post Alan!

Like you I have many songs that started with one style only to find another style worked better and/or lead me into a new direction.

I really like putting chords into BiaB then just playing with styles. It is not only fun but also very educational, at least to myself. I am playing genres now that I never even thought of playing before I got BiaB.

I believe that the only limitation of either choosing a BiaB style or mixing and blending BiaB styles is your imagination.

YMMV

hello mario!

Yeah ... I do that a lot. Even if it doesn't give me something I can actually work with, it stimulates to try new things. Those of us who tend to play around in various genres can have some fun and get some rewards with that bit of tinkering. best to you. Stay warm up there in New York

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Seemingly Unlimited Flexibility - 11/14/17 04:38 PM
Originally Posted By: jford
I love taking a song and just running it through different styles in various genres. Often I hit upon one that is very different from the original, but I really like. Doesn't matter if anyone else likes it, I like it and enjoy listening to it that way.

Great post, Alan. Agree 100%.

Hi John!

the very first sentence of your reply is exactly what I was referring to, And it can lead to some fun and interesting results. And I agree, if i like it ... good enough!

Thanks for the reply. Best to you.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Seemingly Unlimited Flexibility - 11/14/17 04:40 PM
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
One of my favorite projects was creating from "Erase The Miles", a bluegrass tune by Third Tyme Out, into a 'in the style of Elvis' backing track for a friend who's an amateur Elvis impersonator.

Very easy to do with BIAB...

Charlie

Charlie,

That's a great example of what I was referring to. It's unlimited what one can do with a few minutes of experimenting and then some massaging of the tracks and tine. You hit the nail on the head. Wishing you well.

Alan
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Seemingly Unlimited Flexibility - 11/14/17 05:25 PM
Hi Alan. Did you see, Callie from PG Music just posted your comment? http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=437960#Post437960

It’s also on the running PG Music News to the right, if you have that turned on.

Very nice! Congrats.

About my music, both Mario and John Ford above, and Pat Marr, have heard me live. I do have a studio CD I released in 2006, called Brazilian Wish. You can preview it on the website that is my two names together .com It is also on all the usual suspects for online music. Dr. Gannon gave me permission a long time ago to mention it because I wrote all nine songs on the CD using BIAB. Although the CD is played by all pros in the studios, I sent them charts and the BIAB song demos first so they would be better prepared to play what I wanted. It's a system I continue to use, including for most of the other ten CDs on which I appear. Since that time, BIAB added RealDrums then RealTracks, so the demos get better and better.

I don't recall exactly what I may have said about the Major 6th chord versus 6/9, but we could certainly resume that in another thread if you like. 6/9 is a staple in Brazilian jazz (and my compositions), and that's probably why I mentioned it. But there is more to it if you want to talk more. The 13th is the same pitch as a 6th, just voiced up an octave, so that gives you all kinds of additional possibilities in the upper extensions (you spoke of 'extending the scale'), although it adds a dominant feel because it also includes the minor (dominant) 7th.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Seemingly Unlimited Flexibility - 11/14/17 06:10 PM
Hi Alan. Did you see, Callie from PG Music just posted your comment? http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=437960#Post437960

It’s also on the running PG Music News to the right, if you have that turned on.

Very nice! Congrats.

About my music, both Mario and John Ford above, and Pat Marr, have heard me live. I do have a studio CD I released in 2006, called Brazilian Wish. You can preview it on the website that is my two names together .com It is also on all the usual suspects for online music. Dr. Gannon gave me permission a long time ago to mention it because I wrote all nine songs on the CD using BIAB. Although the CD is played by all pros in the studios, I sent them charts and the BIAB song demos first so they would be better prepared to play what I wanted. It's a system I continue to use, including for most of the other ten CDs on which I appear. Since that time, BIAB added RealDrums then RealTracks, so the demos get better and better.

I don't recall exactly what I may have said about the Major 6th chord versus 6/9, but we could certainly resume that in another thread if you like. 6/9 is a staple in Brazilian jazz (and my compositions), and that's probably why I mentioned it. But there is more to it if you want to talk more. The 13th is the same pitch as a 6th, just voiced up an octave, so that gives you all kinds of additional possibilities in the upper extensions (you spoke of 'extending the scale'), although it adds a dominant feel because it also includes the minor (dominant) 7th.
\

Hi Again, Matt.

Yes, I did see tha5t. It's very nice and rewarding to know one's thoughts and experiences are constructive and or interesting enough to garner a small spotlight. I'm very appreciative of her recognition.

And yes, again, i would like to further pursue the 6/9 and Maj6 discussion in the near future. I think I should let you know that although I do not read notation appreciably, I have a very good understanding of chords, chord structure and how they are mutually used. And I am proficient with the Nashville numbering system.

In the Jazz pieces I compose and perform, I routinely use Maj6, Maj9, m9, m11, m7b5, 7#5,13,13b9, dim and other related chords. I use them a lot in Smooth RnB, too. Just wanted to let you know where I'm coming from.

I appreciate your offer to further discuss the subject. I'm always hungry for new information! Thank you again.

Alan

PS: From time to time, you will significant typos in my messages. I have Focal Dystonia, which makes typing a real nightmare - playing guitar as well. I'm a good speller but my fingers don't want to cooperate at times.
Posted By: bluage Re: Seemingly Unlimited Flexibility - 11/16/17 07:18 PM

Very nice! Congrats.

Dear Mr. Finley...

I hope I am not intruding on this post...

You stated that the "6/9 is a staple in Brazilian jazz (and my compositions)". Is that knowledge you gained simply from playing/performing in that genre, or did you encounter some kind of theoretical instruction -- possibly in printable form -- that you consulted and then applied to your own music?

Thank you for your attention,

LOREN
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Seemingly Unlimited Flexibility - 11/16/17 09:00 PM
Originally Posted By: bluage
You stated that the "6/9 is a staple in Brazilian jazz (and my compositions)". Is that knowledge you gained simply from playing/performing in that genre, or did you encounter some kind of theoretical instruction -- possibly in printable form -- that you consulted and then applied to your own music?

Hi Loren. There is really nothing special. If you look at the sheet music for Brazilian music, especially Bossa nova songs, you will often see 6/9 chords. They are perhaps most effective on acoustic guitar - a truly lovely sound. This has been the case since I started listening to and playing this music in the early 1960s.
Posted By: bluage Re: Seemingly Unlimited Flexibility - 11/17/17 06:41 PM
Hello, again, Mr. Finley...

All right. Thank you for responding so swiftly and simply! smile

Sincerely,

LOREN
© PG Music Forums