PG Music Home
Posted By: Joseph Land Bluechip Thumb Pick Problem [Resolved] - 08/23/23 09:36 AM
I notice that my Bluechip thumb pick started making a clicking sound when playing both my guitar and banjo. Had the pick for a number of years now and I always store it in an old 35mm film container. Took a close look and found the material had a score mark across the pick.

Does anyone have any idea how that can me removed either by sanding or buffing?

These picks are not cheap and would like to salvage it if possible.

It's not a crack as it is only on the surface of 1 side.

Attached picture Thumb Pick.jpg
Posted By: MarioD Re: Bluechip Thumb Pick Problem - 08/23/23 09:57 AM
If I were you I would contact the company and ask them what to do: They do have a contact option on their main page. These pick are very expensive so experimenting on them may not be a good idea. YMMV
Posted By: Bob Calver Re: Bluechip Thumb Pick Problem - 08/23/23 01:07 PM
wow - i've used bog standard plastic thumbpicks for over 50 years! not sure my playing would improve with that ependitrue!
Posted By: etcjoe Re: Bluechip Thumb Pick Problem - 08/23/23 04:56 PM
Goodness gracious those are expensive picks. I am not sure I could shell out 75 bucks for a guitar pick. I guess if it lasted a lifetime I should have bought it years ago!! Not as much lifetime left now.

But +1 on the contact the manufacturer. I am sure they can help.
Posted By: Joseph Land Re: Bluechip Thumb Pick Problem - 08/23/23 05:57 PM
They are only $40 and since I usually go to the Winfield Festival each year, they have them discounted to $35 if you purchase them at the fairgrounds.

I will be calling them in the morning to see if anything can be done.

If not, $35 every 5 years is OK with me.
Posted By: Joseph Land Re: Bluechip Thumb Pick Problem - 08/24/23 09:43 AM
I called BlueChip this morning and they said to just send it to them and they will replace the blade for free.

All I have to do is pay for shipping.

Not bad.

Problem solved and marked as resolved.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Bluechip Thumb Pick Problem - 08/24/23 10:40 AM
Originally Posted By: jcland
I called BlueChip this morning and they said to just send it to them and they will replace the blade for free.

All I have to do is pay for shipping.

Not bad.

Problem solved and marked as resolved.

That is how customer service should work.
I'm glad that things worked out OK for you.
Posted By: Joseph Land Re: Bluechip Thumb Pick Problem - 08/24/23 11:31 AM
Ground Advantage rate from Springfield MO to Clinton TN = $5

I can live with that to get a refurbished BlueChip thumb pick.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Bluechip Thumb Pick Problem - 08/24/23 11:46 AM
Ground Advantage rate from Springfield MO to Clinton TN = $5

I can live with that to get a refurbished BlueChip thumb pick.

That's great.

That is a lot cheaper than purchasing a new one.
Posted By: etcjoe Re: Bluechip Thumb Pick Problem - 08/25/23 03:47 PM
They are only $40 and since I usually go to the Winfield Festival each year, they have them discounted to $35 if you purchase them at the fairgrounds.

I will be calling them in the morning to see if anything can be done.

If not, $35 every 5 years is OK with me.

I looked at some of their flat picks. They had a jazz model at $75!! Just crazy expensive, but as long as they back them up and they last forever?!
Posted By: Byron Dickens Re: Bluechip Thumb Pick Problem - 08/28/23 04:51 PM
¡Madre de Dios!

I can't see how any snake oil guitar pick could be worth even 1/4 that price! They're not going to make me play any better than the Dunlops I can get at Sweetwater for $25 for a bag of 72. I'm still working on a bag of Jazz IIIs I got years ago and I chuck 'em as soon as the tip starts to round off.
Posted By: Joseph Land Re: Bluechip Thumb Pick Problem - 08/29/23 09:16 AM
Byron:

I agree on your flatpick comment. There are great flatpicks at a much cheaper price.

However, I am talking about a thumb pick used to play a 5 string banjo at 130-150 BPM. The angle of hitting that 5th string and the choice of thumb pick can be critical. In the 40+ years I have been playing, I have used Golden Gate, regular cheap bargain basement thumb picks, Dunlop, D'addario, Fred Kelly picks and so on. The BlueChip pick offers me the least amount of string 'plink' noise and the minimum about of resistance out of all of them playing at a fast speed. That's why I invested $35 for a pick that has lasted me 5 years. After 5 years of use on this one, the picking edge has never worn down. The non-contact flat surface is what got the groove in it somehow and it was not because of playing. Who know what caused it but I am glad that BlueChip was willing to repair it free of charge. Can't ask more then that from a company.
© PG Music Forums