PG Music Home
Something new all the time.

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2016/11/14/secrets-of-online-shopping-discrimination/

This says you can get different prices on the same day depending on where you live and if the order is coming from a computer or mobile device.

Sneaky...

Next we'll be reading about another 20 something billionaire who develops an app for this.

Bob
Totally... there are already Chrome apps (like Honey) that automatically apply coupons when you're checking out online. An old trick for online shopping at places like Best Buy and Walmart used to be add something to your shopping cart then wait a couple days before checking out, and more often then not they'd email you offering you a discount on your purchase! Hasn't worked for me in a while, though.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't they have different taxes in different states if the US? This may have something to do with the price variations. Also the "free" delivery (which is built into the price) may vary depending how far you live from the distribution point.

Having said that, here in Oz, national supermarket chains often have dearer price in the more affluent areas that in working class areas.

And the same brand of petrol can vary up to $0.25 per litre (about $1.00 per gallon) depending on where you fill up.
I find it often cheaper to buy music gear in the US tax free, and ship it than to buy it in Hong Kong. Sadly, many companies won't ship abroad.

Here in Hong Kong, many people buy stuff on-line in China and ship it across the border or mail it. It's ridiculously cheap buying eg outdoor furniture in China. Maybe a 3rd of the price.
I have no idea about other countries but according to that article the price was for the items or tickets alone, taxes are in addition.

It's understandable that brick and mortar stores charge more in affluent areas because their physical location costs are higher but the whole point about why Amazon and other online sellers are so popular is they don't have those varied fixed location costs so their prices are lower.

Bob
This has actually been going on for a number of years now. I saw a similar report several years ago where a husband and wife in the same house logged on with different computers. One used the browser they always used and was logged in to the website and one used a different browser after clearing all the cookies and visited the website as a guest. They each saw different prices on some of the same items.

Oddly, the loyal customer (the one logged in) saw higher prices than the guest (I guess to entice the guest to buy).
© PG Music Forums