PG Music Home
Posted By: Oom Karel Recover lost data. HELP - 01/13/17 03:33 PM
OK, so I did not backup. Now that is out of the way...
I bought recovery software (EaseUS) and have been reasonably succesful with the recovery of data, except the stuff I really want: My BIAB file.
I have been able to recover all the MP3's that I made with BAIB, but the recovered files don't know the names of the songs. On the other hand I have recovered all the BAIB files with their names, at least that is what I thought. The song names are there, the folder structure, everything, except the song files have no data in them.
There are on the recovery disc numerous files with cryptic names that no human can understand and even crypticalar contents and I hope, sooo much, that some of these are my precious BAIB data. Does anyone have any suggestions?....PLEASE? crazy
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Recover lost data. HELP - 01/13/17 05:58 PM
Karel,

Because you don't say so, I take it that the strange file names do not have the BIAB SGU/MGU extension.

If this was me, I'd try changing or adding an SGU extension to a few of the files and then see if they open in BIAB.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Recover lost data. HELP - 01/15/17 09:44 AM
Do a search for the BB/RB extensions... MGU & SGU are the main ones.

SEQ can also be part of the PG files for songs you have worked on.

It's really important to save in a timely manner and also to back up your drives regularly..... but you know that already.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Recover lost data. HELP - 01/15/17 11:32 AM
The FREE version of Recuva does an excellent job of recovering accidentally deleted files.

https://www.piriform.com/recuva/download

Actually, deleted files are still available until overwritten. Only the file header has changed.

HTH

Donny
Posted By: MarioD Re: Recover lost data. HELP - 01/15/17 11:54 AM
Originally Posted By: Don Gaynor
The FREE version of Recuva does an excellent job of recovering accidentally deleted files.

Actually, deleted files are still available until overwritten. Only the file header has changed.

HTH

Donny

Don brings up a good point. Your data is still on the hard drive IF you have not saved anything else on the drive. If you have saved data and/or installed a new program on the hard drive you could have overwritten the data you are looking for, thus it will be gone forever.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Recover lost data. HELP - 01/15/17 12:36 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD

HTH

Donny

Don brings up a good point. Your data is still on the hard drive IF you have not saved anything else on the drive. If you have saved data and/or installed a new program on the hard drive you could have overwritten the data you are looking for, thus it will be gone forever.

Dear friend Mario may remember DOS days when we'd print a directory to screen and search for a file with minor changes in the file header, change it back, and wallah!

It only worked if the file had not been overwritten, however.

Donny
Posted By: MarioD Re: Recover lost data. HELP - 01/15/17 02:50 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD

HTH

Donny

Dear friend Mario may remember DOS days when we'd print a directory to screen and search for a file with minor changes in the file header, change it back, and wallah!

It only worked if the file had not been overwritten, however.

Donny

Yes good buddy I remember. Thanx for reminding me how old I am mad grin grin grin
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Recover lost data. HELP - 01/15/17 03:10 PM
What happened? Did your drive crash? Did you accidentally delete the data? did you inadvertently overwrite the data?
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Recover lost data. HELP - 01/15/17 05:32 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
What happened? Did your drive crash? Did you accidentally delete the data? did you inadvertently overwrite the data?

J&B,

As I understand it, OP lost his song files that were created in BIAB. I can imagine the frustration because I've been there several times.

I think we are only concerned with .mgu and .sgu files and not actual program files.

IIRC, Recuva will search and examine files ( even for text ) then determine the recoverability. The GUI is straightforward.

Donny
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Recover lost data. HELP - 01/17/17 04:29 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud

J&B,

As I understand it, OP lost his song files that were created in BIAB. I can imagine the frustration because I've been there several times.

I think we are only concerned with .mgu and .sgu files and not actual program files.

IIRC, Recuva will search and examine files ( even for text ) then determine the recoverability. The GUI is straightforward.

Donny

Not to hijack....Guess I over do it. Our iMac backs up every hour to an external disc which I then swap out with another one once a month and keep the idle one in the safe deposit box. And for the most critical files I also back them up to iCould Drive. Oh, and I do a complete "mirror" of my system 3-4 times a year. Yep, IT used to be part of my department when I retired. smile I saw waaaay too many sad data losses. But once you have a system in place it takes very very little time.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Recover lost data. HELP - 01/18/17 09:56 AM
Karel
You've had some good advice above in assistance to recover. Don't feel too guilty though. Usually, everyone gets a turn, sooner or later.
The most important thing is do not change anything on the drive (add new files, move files, defrag etc) until you have gone through your recovery process.
Posted By: Makssder Re: Recover lost data. HELP - 08/02/17 04:41 AM

HTH

Donny

What we need is a tool can help us to recover lost data from phone , and not matter whether it is free or not ,
Posted By: rharv Re: Recover lost data. HELP - 08/02/17 08:09 PM
Well knowing it was a phone was enlightening. I don't think your original post said this.

Android or iPhone?
Posted By: MountainSide Re: Recover lost data. HELP - 08/03/17 09:25 AM
Right Rharv. If its Android or iOS, and he's used auto backups; Google and iCloud may be able to help.

Jeff
Posted By: Makssder Re: Recover lost data. HELP - 08/10/17 12:53 AM
Originally Posted By: MountainSide
Right Rharv. If its Android or iOS, and he's used auto backups; Google and iCloud may be able to help.
http://www.android-rescuer.com/recover-data-from-android-internal-memory.html
Jeff

From backup files to recover lost data is no doubt , but the authors do not backup, he can recover data through third-party tools
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Recover lost data. HELP - 08/30/18 09:29 AM
There are two posters here with lost data. The first poster (South Africa) doesn’t mention a phone. The second (New York) does.
Posted By: Paj Re: Recover lost data. HELP - 09/04/18 03:15 AM
KarelD,

In another post, there was a discussion about partitions and this is where having a separate partition or drive for data becomes invaluable because, as has been pointed out, those missing files are probably still there and recoverable until you write to the drive or partition. The problem with that is, if your data is on your system/C: drive, Windows will be constantly writing to it if you reboot, go online for help, start/close/INSTALL a program, etc. Generally, a recovery utility should be installed before you need it. Installing a recovery program after-the-fact on the same drive/partition as the missing files can pretty much defeat the purpose of the program.

Searching for the extensions is the way to go

I've been using EaseUS software for a long time and it has saved my bacon a number of times but there is a difference between seeming miraculous and an actual miracle. Nothing beats a backup and a data-only partition or drive simplifies backing up your data.

I can empathize with you and I hope everything works out.

Paj
8^)
© PG Music Forums