PG Music Home
Posted By: earl kirby how to set up stand alone vst's - 04/20/17 07:12 PM
What do I need to playvst's in stand a lone mode? /I have keyboard psr3000 and want to play righthand parts on a stand alone vst with seperate key controller via laptop. Hope this makes sense. Help is appreciated
Posted By: rharv Re: how to set up stand alone vst's - 04/20/17 07:54 PM
Which software or DAW?
And if it is a VST why does it have to be in stand alone mode?
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: how to set up stand alone vst's - 04/20/17 08:43 PM
A stand alone VST is just that. It operates without a DAW as the host.

So all you need to do is install it according to the instructions and set up the inputs for it using your sound card/interface and assign the outputs and you should be good to go.

rharv... the reason you might want to run a VST stand alone is in a live situation. Band on stage or keyboard in a studio where you don't want or need it to operate inside of a DAW. You are simply looking for the particular sound sample the VST can provide and nothing else.
Posted By: rharv Re: how to set up stand alone vst's - 04/20/17 08:51 PM
That makes sense .. guess I assumed he was using a PGMusic product (or maybe didn't realize which forum I was in, I'm getting old)
Posted By: MarioD Re: how to set up stand alone vst's - 04/20/17 08:59 PM
Ok I'm confused. I know what else is new?

I though a VST always needed a host program and VST only softsynths did not have a stand alone mode. However some softsynths come with both stand alone and VST modes. That is VST and stand alone are two separate identities. Am I wrong?
Posted By: Tobias Re: how to set up stand alone vst's - 04/21/17 02:21 AM
Originally Posted By: earl kirby
What do I need to playvst's in stand a lone mode? /I have keyboard psr3000 and want to play righthand parts on a stand alone vst with seperate key controller via laptop. Hope this makes sense. Help is appreciated

1. Install the PSR3000 driver software if required.
2. Use a USB cable from the "USB to Host" on the back of the PRS connection to your computer USB port.
3. Connect speakers or headphones to your computer. You will not hear the VST from the PSR3000. You will hear the audio from your computer soundcard.
4. For VST/VSTi Stand Alone version; Open the VST and check the Options or Set Up to see if your VST recognizes the PSR3000 automatically. If not, you will need to install the PSR3000 drivers according to the manual.
5. Set the VST MIDI input channel to ALL or Omni for now to make it simple. Or, set it to MIDI channel 1 for now.
6. Set the PSR MIDI output channel to ALL or Omni or the same channel as the VST.
7. Once that's done you need to check your computer's soundcard properties mixer to activate the proper audio output.

This is a summary and probably real close to what you need to do. The exact details depend on the instructions for the Yamaha Keyboard and the Options or Set Up dialog in the Stand Alone VST.

If the VST will open by itself without a DAW then, I would think, it is a Stand Alone. If the VST or VSTi does not have a "Stand Alone" version you can not use it that way. But, you can still do it in a DAW by putting the VST on a track in a host DAW and play "THRU" (or assign the track to the DAWs stereo main output )to the soundcard output.

What VST are you trying to do this with?
Posted By: Tobias Re: how to set up stand alone vst's - 04/21/17 02:28 AM
Assuming you mean VSTi as in a Virtual Studio Technology "Instrument". A VST could be any effect from a reverb to an equalizer or a compressor, etc... A VSTi is a software synthesizer/softsynth instrument which may have it's own effects built in to enhance it's features.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: how to set up stand alone vst's - 04/21/17 05:38 AM
MiniHost Standalone http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=394808#Post394808

VSTHost http://www.hermannseib.com/english/vsthost.htm
Posted By: jford Re: how to set up stand alone vst's - 04/21/17 12:08 PM
I use SAVIHost (VSTHost's little brother); it works really well. It's simple. You just take the VSTHost EXE, put it in the same folder as your VSTi, and then rename the EXE the same base name as the VSTi. Launch the EXE, tell it your audio and MIDI configuration, and then play away.
Posted By: earl kirby sorry to confuse ya all - 04/21/17 06:57 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean to confuse you all. I have several Daws and a lot of vst's I use biab for backgrounds and regular kb for lead and fills. Now my Yamaha 3000 has some nice sounds BUT not as good as the vst's. I'm especially i love woth the KORG legandary session M1 and wavestatanion. I also have a copy of the FM7 that sounds great!! What I want ot do is play the biab from computur and the right hand lead of fills with the vst's. Could load into BIAB and play with thru channel but would like to be able to have more than one available at a time. Maybe even stack some of them all in real time LIVE!
Posted By: Pipeline Re: sorry to confuse ya all - 04/21/17 07:13 PM
You can use MiniHost http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=368498
in Biab, in MiniHost you use a vst to set the range of keys used http://www.thepiz.org/plugins/?p=pizmidi
then you can have as many vst's loaded into MiniHost as you like.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: sorry to confuse ya all - 04/21/17 07:28 PM
I have several VST's that I bought that will run as stand alone programs to play the sounds for my midi.

Native Instruments makes a number of it's synths in dual mode depending on how you want to run them. When they install, they are fully operational in both modes, as stand alone and inside a host.

From the NI support page:

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/208963245-Which-programs-can-be-run-in-stand-alone-mode-
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: sorry to confuse ya all - 04/21/17 08:52 PM
Jfords solution is it. Savihost makes ANY VSTi standalone if you follow the directions.
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: sorry to confuse ya all - 04/23/17 05:02 PM
The other thing you need to check out Earl is if your PSR will operate as a controller in the way you want.

To split the keyboard you need to be able to transmit keyboard zone control. Obviously as an arranger it has split capability running it's internal stuff but will it act as a split zone controller? And it's a similar question for the sliders and buttons on the front panel. How many of those can transmit midi info to control your VSTi?

Maybe it's a good controller, I have no idea but that could hang you up.

Bob
© PG Music Forums