PG Music Home
Posted By: DennisD Roland DAW - 06/05/17 01:08 PM
I noticed an earlier thread on Roland synth sounds and thought I would throw this out on the chance there is someone with and answer. I have a Roland VS-880 DAW expanded. I love it! It works, has great sound, etc. However I haven't used it for some time because its' recording language is proprietory. To download it to another software system to get an mp3 file is cumbersome. Each track has to be synched to the software and run as a separate sound file. It takes hours. Although I do have and use Reaper and Audacity I still like the Roland. Has anyone ever tried successfully to import a Roland file into Reaper. It would make a lot of my Roland files readily captured for use with other software. Thanks for your attention and any possible, although remote answeres. DennisD
Posted By: Tobias Re: Roland DAW - 06/07/17 01:36 AM
I explored the VS-880 several years ago but went with computer DAW instead. From what I remember, and the best suggestion I can think of,... can't the VS-880 write the 8 top layer of tracks to individual .wav files directly onto CD? If so, then grab the wav files off the CD via your computer's CD drive.
I still have and sometimes use my Boss VF-1 which is basically the FX expansion card for the VS series hardware but packaged for primarily electric guitar in a 1/2 rack unit with 1/4 ins and outs, midi, expression pedal connection, etc... It's a fantastic Swiss army knife of FX.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Roland DAW - 06/09/17 09:08 AM
I had one of those DAW's in a box. Bought it used and sold it a short time later.

I found it to be hard to work with especially regarding midi. Everything had to be in audio format which presents issues for the folks who rely on midi to play a piano part accurately.

And another issue was getting drums to sound creative and fit properly.

I switched to a computer based DAW..... in this case, Cakewalk's Music Creator and subsequently Sonar. As soon as I did that, the Korg was posted and sold on E-Bay.

The thing I found was that it was too difficult to do the things I was hearing in my head on the all in one machine. If I wanted a simple songwriter's scratch pad kind of thing to layer some audio tracks, I suppose it would work just fine. Unfortunately, it didn't fit my needs.

Getting MC/Sonar on a computer based DAW did allow me to use all sorts of midi and other tools in my work. Drum synths made the drum parts super easy, and tools like PG music made the other instruments I could only dream of using, become a reality.

It's computer DAW for me.
Posted By: rharv Re: Roland DAW - 06/09/17 08:33 PM
May be relevant.

Google-fu found this
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=64620

I Googled "convert VS-880 files" and found lots of hits..

I've found/used 3rd party stuff like this for other Roland synths (S- and W- series sequencer/samplers, etc) but not this particular one.

My current Roland sequencer saves to wav when I record audio tracks, and communicates to PC on USB, so I have not had this particular issue ..
Posted By: DennisD Re: Roland DAW - 06/16/17 02:02 AM
rharv, thanks for the link. I had something similiar on Polk Audio but lost it. I have reaper so I will give this a try. It is quite convoluted and if it doesn't go smoothly I guess I will just use Realband and Reaper. I know they are more convenient but "old" dogs (me) you know like their favourite (vs880) sleeping spots! Appreciate your time and effort. DennisD
© PG Music Forums