PG Music Home
Posted By: Valenter RØDE NT1 weird popping noise - 09/23/17 09:04 AM
I purchased a Rode NT1 from Amazon in March and I've been recording with it without issues since. However a few days ago, after using it no differently than usual (mainly voice recording), it suddenly started malfunctioning and producing a strong popping noise, all while failing to record anything properly. If I unplug it and store it away for some time, and then plug it back in, it stops making noise, but then the issue comes back after 10-15 minutes.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be? Here's an audio sample:
https://soundcloud.com/valerio-ray/mic-noise

If the problem persists, I'll try contacting RØDE directly. Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: RØDE NT1 weird popping noise - 09/23/17 01:42 PM
Have you tried the microphone with a different cable? Try a different channel (if one is available) on your audio interface.

It will not hurt to contact Rode support to alert them to the potential issue however trying the suggestions above can eliminate other possibilities like the cable or audio interface.
Posted By: Valenter Re: RØDE NT1 weird popping noise - 09/23/17 02:18 PM
I've tried two different cables on all available channels (might worth mentioning that I'm plugging the microphone into a Yamaha MG10XU) and the issue continues to persist.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: RØDE NT1 weird popping noise - 09/23/17 02:34 PM
Originally Posted By: Valenter
I've tried two different cables on all available channels (might worth mentioning that I'm plugging the microphone into a Yamaha MG10XU) and the issue continues to persist.

Are you familiar with Gain Staging? Sounds like you are not staging correctly.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Valenter Re: RØDE NT1 weird popping noise - 09/23/17 03:17 PM
Originally Posted By: 90 dB

Are you familiar with Gain Staging? Sounds like you are mot staging correctly.

Regards,

Bob

Can you clarify what you mean by that a bit more specifically? The problem occurs at all levels of gain.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: RØDE NT1 weird popping noise - 09/23/17 03:37 PM

Regards,

Bob

Can you clarify what you mean by that a bit more specifically? The problem occurs at all levels of gain.

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/gain-staging-your-daw-software
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: RØDE NT1 weird popping noise - 09/23/17 04:06 PM
Bad capacitor?

Do you have a good source of a full 48 volts?

The NT1 is an old model, replaced by the NT1a. My NT1 is about 20 years old.
Posted By: Valenter Re: RØDE NT1 weird popping noise - 09/23/17 04:26 PM

Regards,

Bob

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/gain-staging-your-daw-software

I was reading that article before, but again, not only does it also happen outside of my software (I can see it peaking on the mixer and hear it too), it doesn't seem to be related to gain at all, unless I completely mute the microphone, I can hear it produce that intermittent sound and peak through 0dB.

Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Bad capacitor?

Do you have a good source of a full 48 volts?

The NT1 is an old model, replaced by the NT1a. My NT1 is about 20 years old.

I believe I have the "new" 2014 version of the NT1, sold with the shock mount and pop filter.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: RØDE NT1 weird popping noise - 09/23/17 04:50 PM
Ok, although the Rode website specifically has a warning about Amazon selling counterfeit Rode mics.

How about the source of the 48 volts? I recall Rode really needs the full voltage, whereas most other condensers can get by with much lower voltage.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: RØDE NT1 weird popping noise - 09/23/17 05:28 PM
"I was reading that article before, but again, not only does it also happen outside of my software (I can see it peaking on the mixer and hear it too), it doesn't seem to be related to gain at all, unless I completely mute the microphone, I can hear it produce that intermittent sound and peak through 0dB."

You can see it on your meters and hear it through your phones but still not have signal at your input. That's why gain staging is so important.

How are you bringing the signal from the mixer into the software? USB or analog?

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Valenter Re: RØDE NT1 weird popping noise - 09/23/17 07:07 PM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Ok, although the Rode website specifically has a warning about Amazon selling counterfeit Rode mics.

How about the source of the 48 volts? I recall Rode really needs the full voltage, whereas most other condensers can get by with much lower voltage.

Yamaha MG10XU

"I was reading that article before, but again, not only does it also happen outside of my software (I can see it peaking on the mixer and hear it too), it doesn't seem to be related to gain at all, unless I completely mute the microphone, I can hear it produce that intermittent sound and peak through 0dB."

You can see it on your meters and hear it through your phones but still not have signal at your input. That's why gain staging is so important.

How are you bringing the signal from the mixer into the software? USB or analog?

Regards,

Bob

USB, again I'd like to point out that the microphone has been working flawlessly for months, it just recently started doing this and I haven't changed anything in my setup.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: RØDE NT1 weird popping noise - 09/23/17 07:35 PM
Could be a lemon of a microphone. It happens. Try Rode Customer Service.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: RØDE NT1 weird popping noise - 09/23/17 08:49 PM
The description of the issue not being immediate and coming to fruition each time after 10-15 minutes, and then after being shut off leads to a thermal issue. Not saying it is for certain not gain stage, but typically gain stage is either there or not there, not something that comes on after some time.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: RØDE NT1 weird popping noise - 11/29/17 05:55 PM
Originally Posted By: rockstar_not
The description of the issue not being immediate and coming to fruition each time after 10-15 minutes, and then after being shut off leads to a thermal issue. Not saying it is for certain not gain stage, but typically gain stage is either there or not there, not something that comes on after some time.

yup. if you have a can of compressed air, like the stuff they sell to blow dust off of computer keyboards.... open the mic up and let it run until it starts making that noise.

Locate the capacitors on the circuit board and while holding the spray can of air UPSIDE DOWN.... slowly squeeze the trigger to drip some of the liquid that comes out onto the caps, one at a time. feel free to do it to other components as well but start with the caps. If you have a thermal issue, the sound should stop when you cool the defective cap. don't get the liquid on you as it can cause frostbite by freezing your skin almost instantly.

You can also contact Rode to see if the mic is real or a fake. If it's real, they should handle any warrantee work or replacement on it. If it's fake.....well, you might have to go back to the seller on Amazon and hope for the best.
Posted By: Island Soul Re: RØDE NT1 weird popping noise - 12/01/17 12:58 PM
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Have you tried the microphone with a different cable? Try a different channel (if one is available) on your audio interface.

It will not hurt to contact Rode support to alert them to the potential issue however trying the suggestions above can eliminate other possibilities like the cable or audio interface.

Røde explicitly says on the front page that any Røde mics purchased through amazon will be covered due to the fact of fake ones being sold. As for the sound, it's either an issue with the xlr part of the mic, wind noise, or just analog noise.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: RØDE NT1 weird popping noise - 12/01/17 08:52 PM
Valenter seems to have effectively eliminated the mixer, pre-amps, XLR connectors and cables from the signal chain. That leaves the mic.

Amazon states the NT1 has a 10 year warranty. I would use the warranty.
Posted By: Valenter Re: RØDE NT1 weird popping noise - 12/23/17 11:35 PM
Nothing but sending the microphone back to Rode for repair has worked unfortunately, thanks for the help anyway.
Posted By: Mike Halloran Re: RØDE NT1 weird popping noise - 01/05/18 12:44 AM
I had the exact same issue and was covered by RØDE’s 10 year warranty. These things happen.

The replacement worked perfectly. Unfortunately, it was stolen in a burglary a few months after I got it back. mad
© PG Music Forums