PG Music Home
Posted By: Hugh2 Dropped my external hardrive! - 12/22/17 05:47 PM
Hi I dropped my external hardrive BIAB 2017 .Its vibrating and lights flashing but the computer is not reading it.Has anyone done this before?
Boo hoo urs Hugh
Posted By: sslechta Re: Dropped my external hardrive! - 12/22/17 06:07 PM
If you try it on a couple of different computers and it does not read, you may need to reach out to PG Support for a replacement. You could also try to reformat the drive if you had previously backed up all the files on another storage device.
Posted By: rharv Re: Dropped my external hardrive! - 12/22/17 06:33 PM
If it were me;
There are little screws on the case (or possible it snaps apart).
Open the case and check the wire connections. Chances are you jarred one loose. Others here have done that (or had it arrive in this condition due to shipping).

Just open it carefully and don't drop the little screws.
Then assemble it back carefully.

Formatting is likely not an option if the computer doesn't recognize it.
Posted By: sslechta Re: Dropped my external hardrive! - 12/22/17 06:39 PM
Good idea sir. forgot about that one.
Posted By: Mike Halloran Re: Dropped my external hardrive! - 01/05/18 12:21 AM
It’s quite possible to ruin a hard drive by dropping it. The last one I dealt with fell 3 feet onto a carpet and was toast. So don’t do that if it can be avoided.

I back mine up immediately on receipt then put it back into the box where it stays. Since I can’t download the audiophile libraries, I don’t want to depend on having only one copy in a fragile environment.

Next I install all the libraries onto a 2T SSD that I use for all of my VIs (only the libraries—the BIAB app must be installed on the boot drive, of course). It’s not intuitive but pretty easy once you figure it out. This plus my boot SSD are backed up normally in Time Machine.

NI Komplete also ships on a hard drive but I don’t make a backup since I can download everything (even if it does take over 18 hours—yikes!). I install those libraries on the same SSD as the BIAB libraries.
© PG Music Forums