I think it is creating the WAv as 1st step

Asks to confirm MP3

Get this error message:

"List Index Out Of Bounds (0)...)
followed by a hex address I think

Advice please
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Problem exporting as MP3 - 01/23/18 09:36 AM
Raddy,

Do you have the mp3 codecs installed on your system? They are not supplied by PG Music nor do they come with Windows.

If you need an mp3 and nothing else will do the job, I'd export it as a wav and then use a 3rd party wav to mp3 converter. This is how I always work and I use the freeware converter called FreAc (which is really good).

https://www.freac.org/index.php

If you are only after a compressed format and it doesn't have to be mp3 specifically, export the audio as wma (the Windows compressed format). This is usually better sounding than the mp3 (in my opinion, at least).

Also, I suspect that you need to run BIAB in 'Administrator mode' for audio conversion. This is different from logging into to Windows are the standard administrator.

To start BIAB in admin mode, right-click on the startup shortcut and select "Run as administrator".

This option can be set permanently for BIAB by right-clicking on the startup shortcut, selecting 'Properties' and then activation the "Run as admin" option under the 'Compatibility' tab.

Regards,
Noel

Posted By: raddy Re: Problem exporting as MP3 - 01/23/18 09:54 AM
Many thanks Noel - I'll try all that and see where I end up.

MP3 for portability - client is an Apple man (if I had his money......)

Will try and track down the codecs
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: Problem exporting as MP3 - 01/23/18 11:37 AM
I export as WAV and use CDex (free - open source) to convert to mp3 - it has a lot of good options including bit rate VBR Q settings and so on.

Insights and incites by Notes
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Problem exporting as MP3 - 01/23/18 03:41 PM
Originally Posted By: raddy
Will try and track down the codecs

I don't presently have it my system but I've been a huge fan of K-Lite over the years.

https://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

Make sure you read all documentation and watch out for the unwanted add-ons that often come with free software. (I always choose 'manual install' so I can check what exactly is being installed.)

Regards,
Noel

Posted By: rharv Re: Problem exporting as MP3 - 01/24/18 09:21 PM
K-Lite has been good over the years for me also. Like anything, you gotta watch where you download it from, and what you may get included that you didn't ask for.
99% of the time there is a way to opt out of any extra crap (as Noel mentioned).

/Why would I want a free trial of McAfee Antivirus from an mp3 software installer?? Nope, uncheck that/

Example: I Googled Malwarebytes Antimalware. The first link is the official site.
The second link is CNet. I'd closely watch anything from CNET for 'extras'.
Like I said, you can usually opt out, but you have to be vigilant.
K-Lite (due to its success/popularity) has joined the ranks of those that get this kind thing. The codec itself is fine, it's usually the installer that needs your attention.
Posted By: Belladonna Re: Problem exporting as MP3 - 01/24/18 09:29 PM
I use Audacity a free DAW you can download. Not sure if it's only for a Windows PC or not. I convert the .WAV to an MP3 file there.
Posted By: rharv Re: Problem exporting as MP3 - 01/25/18 12:41 AM
That's another great option, once Audacity is set up.
It adds another step/layer, but works very well with the LAME convertor.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Problem exporting as MP3 - 01/25/18 06:31 PM
Did you get the problem resolved?

2018 Band-in-a-Box for Windows added support to export as a MP3 file. Here is a quote from the 2018 new features page:
Quote:
Songs can now be saved as MP3 files in high resolution. M4A song saving has been enhanced and is faster.
Posted By: Kent - PG Music Re: Problem exporting as MP3 - 01/31/18 09:43 PM
Hi Raddy,

I'm wondering which version and build you're running. You can find out by clicking Help, then About Band-in-a-Box.

I'm sure you're using something older than 2018, but may need to install the latest update for whichever one you are using, as you should be getting a "Driver cannot do the requested conversion" when trying to make MP3s without a codec installed, not a crash.

You can get update patches here:

http://www.pgmusic.com/support_macintoshupdates.htm

Thanks
Kent
PG Music
© PG Music Forums