PG Music Home
Posted By: beatmaster hi fi amplifier gone... - 02/10/18 07:14 PM
Hi

Was wondering what hi fi amplifiers you guys use as I need to replace mine.

any advice or recommendations...?

Anybody know or own an arcam make they sound good any info would be appreciated as I am about to purchase a.s.a.p.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: hi fi amplifier gone... - 02/11/18 09:17 AM
I have a NAD Stereo amp here. I love it, very old school approach.

I've had it for 15 years or so, just checked and it looks like they are still around, here is a newer version of the one I have: https://nadelectronics.com/en_CA/product/c-316bee/
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: hi fi amplifier gone... - 02/11/18 10:11 AM
I've got a probably >35 year old Marantz. It still sounds great. I don't know if their new stuff is as good, not at good, or even better than their old amps.

My audiophile friend has a McIntosh tube amp, and a McIntosh tube preamp, and I must admit, they sound great.

Notes
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: hi fi amplifier gone... - 02/13/18 03:01 PM
I have an old JVC. I bought it when I was a young man in my early 20's so that means I've had it for over 40 years and it keeps on rocking. I think it puts out a solid honest 30 watts per stereo channel. It will wake the neighbors as the saying goes.

I run a pair of Cerwin Vega 10" speakers on it. Of course the CV's fell apart many years ago.... they have a very thin rubber/neoprene surround that can't deal with the NC heat and humidity and literally fell apart after about 15 years.... so I replaced them with brand new Carvin branded guitar speakers....they sound good.... the CV's were more expensive to recone than buying totally new speakers.
Posted By: jford Re: hi fi amplifier gone... - 02/13/18 04:06 PM
I've currently got a stereo-only Onkyo with dual tape deck monitoring capability, a bunch of inputs including a true pre-amp phono input (a lot of receivers today expect the turntable to do the pre-amp work before sending the signal to the receiver), and A/B stereo speaker outputs. I've been very happy with it. I don't need surround sound; I just need to be able to listen to my vinyl record albums, cassette tapes, and CDs. It has AM/FM and the ability to do XMRadio; however, I don't use that in the house.

I've also still got my Pioneer 30-watt receiver that I bought back in 1979. It still works like a champ. I would use it, but the Onkyo has more capacity for inputs (since I also plug computers in now).

Posted By: beatmaster Re: hi fi amplifier gone... - 02/13/18 07:17 PM
Hi

Thanks all for your input I do love the old amps though it is the age thing, now my old jvc ja-s22 has gone.

I am toying with going to a newer amp, but there are some nice vintage ones going on the bay .

Decisions , Decisions.
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: hi fi amplifier gone... - 02/13/18 09:20 PM
You didn't include where you're located but here in LA you can find anything you want pretty much at any time. I picked up a nice SAE receiver a few years ago, sounds great for my vinyl collection.

The older we all get I have my doubts if it really matters that much any more between good vintage stuff and a brand new Denon 7.1 surround amp. The problem with vintage is if it hasn't been completely rebuilt you may not be hearing the best it can do anyway and used modern amps are readily available at good prices.

One I wish I had back though was a Fisher 800c that I traded for a Fender Dual Showman head. I needed a real stage amp to power my chopped Leslie and I was totally broke. In the early 70's it was probably a fair trade.

Bob
© PG Music Forums