PG Music Home
Posted By: MarioD For those having Win 10 update problems - 06/30/18 04:00 PM
For those people whom are having Win 10 update problems you might want to try this. This saved my butt when my music computer would not update correctly.

1-search for command prompt
2-right click on it and run as administrator
3-in command prompt type "net stop wuauser" then press enter
4-when #3 is finished type "net stop bits" then press enter

5-go to C:/Windows/SoftwareDistribution folder
6-delete the folder contents
7-there may be more SoftwareDistribution folders - if so delete those folder contents
(note if you are having problems deleting them just restart the computer. Also you can rename the folder contents to .BAK for backup)

When you are ready to turn on the updates then repeat the above #3-4, but change the word stop to start. It may take a while for Win 10 updates the first time you run them as Win 10 must establish what you already have.

Note do not type the quotes, just the data between them.
Posted By: Paj Re: For those having Win 10 update problems - 07/01/18 02:14 PM
Thanks, Mario! I'm bookmarking this for the future.

Here's one backatcha: I started having trouble re-organizing/moving around my favorites/bookmarks after the recent summer update. When I just tried to close and re-open Edge, I got a warning message that said "Edge is being used for sharing" which, in this day and age, can get you paranoid. Something I never wanted or turned on. Since you can't turn off sharing from the Sharing Icon (upper roght-hand corner of Edge), I finally did track down a short video that showed me how to turn off the sharing. Here are the steps:

Window Menu->Settings-->Privacy

Scroll down the App Permissions menu in the left frame and select "Background Apps"

You can then turn off all the background apps or individually select the ones you don't want/need running (and, surprise---there may be a crapload).

This seems to have resolved the Edge issue and some other flakey behaviors. There was lot of stuff running in the background that I didn't opt for, want, or need.

Paj
8^)
Posted By: MarioD Re: For those having Win 10 update problems - 07/01/18 05:38 PM
Thanx Paj! I had forgotten about that. I turned off quite a few a long time ago but I see there were some more added since then. I turned off those I did not want to run in the background.
Originally Posted By: MarioD
For those people whom are having Win 10 update problems you might want to try this. This saved my butt when my music computer would not update correctly.

7-there may be more SoftwareDistribution folders - if so delete those folder contents
(note if you are having problems deleting them just restart the computer. Also you can rename the folder contents to .BAK for backup)

When you are ready to turn on the updates then repeat the above #3-4, but change the word stop to start. It may take a while for Win 10 updates the first time you run them as Win 10 must establish what you already have. Note do not type the quotes, just the data between them.

Pfff, too much work for me, but this nifty tool makes it quite easier: Win10Privacy
Free and from a German guy i really appreciate ... F
Posted By: MarioD Re: For those having Win 10 update problems - 07/08/18 01:36 PM
Originally Posted By: fiddler2007
Originally Posted By: MarioD

When you are ready to turn on the updates then repeat the above #3-4, but change the word stop to start. It may take a while for Win 10 updates the first time you run them as Win 10 must establish what you already have. Note do not type the quotes, just the data between them.

Pfff, too much work for me, but this nifty tool makes it quite easier: Win10Privacy
Free and from a German guy i really appreciate ... F

Fiddler, this is a neat little program. Thanx for sharing it. But it has a different purpose. If your Win 10 updates will not install correctly your program will not help whereas mine will. BOTH are good to have.
© PG Music Forums