PG Music Home
Posted By: fiddler2007 6TB 2nd internal drive partitioning ? - 08/14/18 11:38 AM
Reading about partitioning large (GPT-NTFS) secondary internal drives, as such not holding an OS, there are two camps it seems.
1: ONE partition; increases speed.
2: TWO or more partitions; in case something goes wrong you still have access to what's not affected.
Any opinions? F
Posted By: sslechta Re: 6TB 2nd internal drive partitioning ? - 08/14/18 12:26 PM
I haven't messed with partitioning in years since I just use 2 separate SSD drives and an HDD drive.

I no longer have a need since they are physically separate.

But in your case if that's the only drive you have to use or have access to, by all means.
I am firmly in camp #1. I don’t use partitions (I use separate drives).

The “something goes wrong” reasoning fails when the drive itself fails, such as the controller. You lose it all.
Posted By: Paj Re: 6TB 2nd internal drive partitioning ? - 08/29/18 07:21 PM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
I am firmly in camp #1. I don’t use partitions (I use separate drives).

The “something goes wrong” reasoning fails when the drive itself fails, such as the controller. You lose it all.

+1---you can lose partitions/everything, whether or not if the partition is physical or virtual. If you initialize or convert your drive to GPT, you won't be limited to 2TB partitions and you can use the entire 6TB as one big partition. Partitions used to save time when making/restoring drive/file backups but nothing is quicker or more reliable than cloning a drive with an external device, like a StarTech (the computer doesn't even have to be on).

Paj
8^)
Posted By: Paj Re: 6TB 2nd internal drive partitioning ? - 09/04/18 03:29 AM
One thing that just came to mind is that, not withstanding a drive failure, a separate data partition or data drive can be a life-saver when it comes to recovering lost/deleted files because the partition or drive can be isolated from saves/writes---which is usually a pre-requisite for success with a file recovery utility.

Paj
8^)
Posted By: MarioD Re: 6TB 2nd internal drive partitioning ? - 09/04/18 10:43 AM
I have my two 2TB drives partitioned to D,E,F, and G drives. My C:/ drive is a 1TB drive. I do partitioning as it makes it faster to copy the contents onto backup drives. I use Acronis for the C:/ drive only. After the initial copying is finished I do clone the copied drive two more times. I use an Inateck unit:

https://www.amazon.com/Inateck-Dual-Bay-Docking-Function-FD2002/dp/B00N1KXE9K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1536068487&sr=8-1&keywords=inateck+clone

It does a perfect job and it isn't very expensive.
Posted By: Paj Re: 6TB 2nd internal drive partitioning ? - 09/06/18 03:32 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
I have my two 2TB drives partitioned to D,E,F, and G drives. My C:/ drive is a 1TB drive. I do partitioning as it makes it faster to copy the contents onto backup drives. I use Acronis for the C:/ drive only. After the initial copying is finished I do clone the copied drive two more times. I use an Inateck unit:

https://www.amazon.com/Inateck-Dual-Bay-Docking-Function-FD2002/dp/B00N1KXE9K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1536068487&sr=8-1&keywords=inateck+clone

It does a perfect job and it isn't very expensive.

I've been using one of these (StarTech) for years now. A freakin' lifesaver. One of the best hardware investments I ever made. Also: Just picked up a bunch of MaxDigital 4TB SATA HDs for $80 each at Tiger Direct. Good ratings, 7200RPM and a 2-year warranty.

Paj
8^)
Posted By: Scott C Re: 6TB 2nd internal drive partitioning ? - 11/21/18 09:54 PM
I agree with Matt. I think the safest way to reduce complications later is to use separate drives with one partition. With the GPT partitions you can have large partitions. I use a probox 4 bay drive enclosure connect via usb 3.0 and have no performance problems. If the computer crashes your data is safe. If the usb drive array crashes while reading and writing to a drive you may lose the drive the others should be ok. I also use a network NAS and backup the data to it daily. Lost files are no fun...
Posted By: Mikke Re: 6TB 2nd internal drive partitioning ? - 11/22/18 07:30 PM
I believe partitions have fallen out of favor because the necessity is no longer relevant. Partitioning became popular because Hard Drive space was ridiculously expensive. In these cases it made sense to sacrifice some speed, just you you could have your OS on it's own partition.

Now with solid states, and large capacity drives being everywhere at reasonable costs, there just is not a good reason to do it anymore, IMHO.

Now if you want a partition for your OS, you go buy a 120GB SSD for $40-50 bucks.

I feel partitions are a needless complication that solves a problem we no longer have.
Maybe so, but if all is stored on one larger (SATA) drive, one GPT partition, you'll need more time for defragmenting.

Also i like an overview of what's where, and the ability of backing up large data chunks in one flow especially from collected samples, projects, you name it, in an organized way. f.i. i got a 2TB SATA drive with only PGstuff, almost full now, a 3TB containing all the collected VST sounds for stuff like Kontakt, Toontrack. Another drive with stocked collected video footage for youtubing clips. And then a small SSD with the boot stuff, and a slightly larger one with programs i regularly use.

Besides, if one drive prove to be less reliable, just pull it out and replace it with far less copying work afterwards. The only way out of the ever-growing data storage capacities needed, is some kind of external cloud, or a totally different compression method. And programmers who program their stuff in a more efficient way ...... F
Hi Fiddler,

Defragging is something we needed to do years ago (much like partitions), but isn't necessary anymore, as Windows 7 or later will do it for you.

If you prefer to work with partitions for organization purposes, that's perfectly valid, but it's not going to protect you from issues or improve performance. The problems that partitions solve don't really exist anymore.

Thanks
Kent
PG Music
Posted By: Paj Re: 6TB 2nd internal drive partitioning ? - 12/06/18 09:54 AM
Yeah---GPT with Win10 appears to address fragmentation issues to the point that they are short-lived or non-existent.

Paj
8^)
© PG Music Forums