PG Music Home
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Thunderbolt 3 / USB-C question... - 02/10/19 01:14 AM
Hi Folks.
Got myself a wonderful refurbished computer but unfortunately have issues with Thunderbolt 3 / USB-C (gen 2) port, which I use for Video+Power delivery. The port works well as a standard USB port, I can see a hard drive in "My computer" for example, but can not get monitor to work properly. (Hard drive does not show up in Thunderbolt proprietary software)

I was wondering if somebody who has same software, see attached photo, can check something for me:

If you do have same software, can you please tell me if you plug things in thunderbolt port does this software adds "device" to this window? or it just shows that ports are active?

I spent many hours this and past week on re-installing everything and transferring licences, would suck big time if I have to send it for motherboard swap. Want to make sure it is defective and not just a software issue.

Thank you,
Misha.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Thunderbolt 3 / USB-C question... - 02/10/19 10:39 PM
Are you using the Windows 10 driver or the driver from the Motherboard's website ?
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Thunderbolt 3 / USB-C question... - 02/10/19 11:03 PM
Pipeline, thanks
funny that you mentioned that. After trying many things, I uninstalled motherboard driver (deleted files too) and tried just base, Win 10 Microsoft driver. Did not help. After spending many hours on this, I am starting to get a feeling it is a software and not hardware bug. Those thunderbolt 3 ports are very tricky tings, because of many factors, including security bios features on the port itself and how it routes features, in my case power+Display port in one shot. I am suspecting Nvidia driver is not catching up to "accept" monitor through thunderbolt. I found not very "intelligent" workaround by enabling/ disabling video driver while monitor is plugged. Seems to do the trick. Have 3 weeks to think about it before sending it for MB replacement. Hopefully they come out with driver patch.

P.S. Still want to know if somebody has same Thunderbolt software and if it shows a hard drive for example in that tray when it is plugged.

I tried tech support, they rather replace motherboard than spend 10 minutes of level 2 troubleshooting. Such a waste of resources and time...
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Thunderbolt 3 / USB-C question... - 02/11/19 12:11 AM
Misha,

I'm sorry to read about your problem. I don't have a motherboard with a Thunderbolt port, sorry.

Thunderbolt seems to be rare in the world of Windows and pcs. I did find +++ THIS +++ troubleshooting and FAQ on the Dell Computer support website.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Thunderbolt 3 / USB-C question... - 02/11/19 09:49 AM
Jim, thanks.
Seems Dell / Thinkpads share same Thunderbolt controller on some laptops. Dell has software specifically testing USB/Thunderbolt. Thinkpad has similar, but it does not detect problems, even if the problem is listed in device manager. Go figure smile

Thunderbolt is the future of ports for the next decade or so, hopefully it is just a buggy driver that will get a patch.
Posted By: fiddler2007 Re: Thunderbolt 3 / USB-C question... - 02/22/19 04:37 PM
have a look at RME's forum, maybe you'll find info there regarding their UFX+
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Thunderbolt 3 / USB-C question... - 02/25/19 10:04 PM
Fiddler,
Thanks for interesting suggestion, but I think I figured most of it out.
I use Thunderbolt for second "touch" display. The problem was a buggy NVIDIA (video) driver. After full reinstall Thunderbolt accepted display. Apparently, USB-C (gen 2) does not show in Thunderbolt software "tray" as a connected device. What I was told, it has to be specifically Thunderbolt (r) device to "visually" show connection.

Go figure. As long as it works, good enough for me smile
© PG Music Forums