PG Music Home
I have a couple songs I want to sell people for use in their YouTube videos.

I have a couple questions.

1) Am I correct in assuming that I can't register my songs with Audiam & tunecore because they have pre-recorded tracks on them? (Audiam said I couldn't)

2) if so, how do I protect my songs from someone else trying to claim them as theirs after I sell them, if YouTube content ID isn't familiar with BIAB pre-recorded content?

This is really hanging me up.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!
Generating tracks using BIAB is not the same thing as "using pre-recorded tracks". It is more like going to a studio to record your songs - they are your songs, lock, stock and barrel...

You can copyright what you create using BIAB the same way you would copyright anything else - as long as you are not recording covers of pre-existing songs.
Thank you for the quick reply! My only question then is:

1) when a company like Audiam digitally scans my song it has pre-recorded real tracks. Do you think that this would get flagged as same content as other BIAB/real band users that are using the same tracks?

Ex. I got a content warning while putting up a 12 bar blues in A.

Do I fight the content warning saying that I have rights to use it, as well as, the people I sell my song to that I give them the rights to use my song.

I'm still a bit fuzzy, but thank you.
Hi Andrew. You can use band in a box to create your own original songs and upload these to YouTube and also sell them. The result is your copyright. I do this all the time and have produced 10 albums for sale plus uploaded to YouTube.

If this is an original song (and remember that chord progressions cannot be copyrighted) the content ID warning is incorrect and if you have the energy you should contest it. Only melody and lyrics can be copyrighted.

If the songs are covers of someone else's composition then you need to get the licenses to sell them. YouTube however is quite tolerant of covers if you don't try and monetize the content. (Sometimes the copyright owner monetizes them)
© PG Music Forums