PG Music Home
Posted By: Lesley55 The Foggy Dew play along - 12/20/17 06:03 AM
Using BiaB (and Camtasia to record the screen and sound) I made a play-along video for the Irish song "The Foggy Dew".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PhL0ZSJst8

I entered the notes in notation mode, copying them from free sheet music I found on line, then added a style.

I've only had BiaB for a few days, and it has been quite a frustrating experience making this video. At first I tried to import the song from an ABC or midi file found onLine. But that seemed to create a lot of problems I didn't know how to fix, so I decided to just enter the notes from scratch, which was quite fast once I figured out how to do it. Then I added lyrics using the "note based lyrics" method. This almost drove me crazy because if you make a mistake, you have to use a strange "edit" window to fix it, and that seems to always create more errors. cry Maybe I'll figure it out eventually. Doesn't seem to be too much about this in the manual.
Eventually I gave up trying to fix the lyrics and just left the errors!

The sound on my video is quite quiet. I suppose Camtasia was picking the sound up from the built in speaker in my laptop. I'm sure there is a better way!

I made the recording in notation mode. I would have preferred to use lead sheet mode, but the played note won't turn red in lead sheet mode, or will only turn red sometimes. This is something else that has been a great source of frustration. crazy

I wanted this video so I could have an accompaniment when I play my chromatic harmonica. But it could be used for singing or for other instruments. I just like the idea of putting it out on youtube so someone might come across it and find it useful.

You-tuber "flutegirl" has made a lot of play-along videos, but they often have too many sharps and flats for me--a beginning chromatic harmonica player. So i got band in a box so I could make my own.

But I'm going to have to find a way to make it louder, and fix lyrics,etc.

Posted By: Lesley55 Re: The Foggy Dew play along - 12/20/17 06:26 PM
Originally Posted By: Lesley55
the played note won't turn red in lead sheet mode, or will only turn red sometimes. This is something else that has been a great source of frustration. crazy

It just occurred to me that maybe the played notes aren't turning red in lead sheet view because the notes are for the solo track, which empty on purpose, for people to play their own solo on a real instrument. Maybe if I added something to the soloist track and turned the sound down on that track, or at least most of the way down. I suppose it would be good to have some soloist voice in there because the song is not as well known as some, and a lot of chromatic harmonica players play by ear. I should also add harmonica tabs.

New version of The Foggy Dew, with notation and chromatic harmonica tabs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBoS5d1lMCs
Posted By: Lesley55 Re: The Foggy Dew play along - 01/03/18 04:26 AM
I've given up getting the played notes to turn red in the lead sheet view. I just use the notation view. I record the screen with the software Camtasia, which allows me to enter other things under the music staff.

I'm starting to get the hang of it. I've made play-along versions of quite a few songs, and even have 6 subscribers--presumambly people from the chromatic harmonica forum.

Here is my Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkna45ODyIfmNDMawnu5lSw/videos?view_as=subscriber

I put "Band-in-a-Box" as a key word in all my videos.
© PG Music Forums